Mock up turbo models

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
That's awesome man! I wish we were close as I would love to collaborate! Lol! One of the machine shops I work with is thinking about eventually getting a metal printer. The only problem is that there isn't really good support yet. He does a lot of work for Northrop Grumman and NASA.
Yea i "needed" the printer for work. I later bought the far scanner for a side buisness. It has worked out well. This is the stuff i really like to do i just dont get to do it as much as i would like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Not sure if the exhaust housings change outside dimension based on a/r though...
Obviously t4 and t6 would be different from each other but I'm not sure if the different a/r's for each would be different

I was wondering the same thing. The BW site is worthless. I can't even find info on the sx-e line on their site. Maybe my internet prowess is waning. Lol!

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yea i "needed" the printer for work. I later bought the far scanner for a side buisness. It has worked out well. This is the stuff i really like to do i just dont get to do it as much as i would like.

I hear you man. I have a lot of things that I want to do, but work keeps getting in the way. Lol! Hopefully in the next 3 months things will change for the better. I want to take things in a different direction there. Just need to get one huge monkey off my back.

Btw, what is the far scanner? Is it some kind of laser scanner. I familiar with profilometer type systems, but not real up to speed on laser stuff.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I hear you man. I have a lot of things that I want to do, but work keeps getting in the way. Lol! Hopefully in the next 3 months things will change for the better. I want to take things in a different direction there. Just need to get one huge monkey off my back.

Btw, what is the far scanner? Is it some kind of laser scanner. I familiar with profilometer type systems, but not real up to speed on laser stuff.
Sorry autocorrect. Faro 330x. + - 2mm @ 330 meters. The closer you are to the target the more acurrate. It also takes 70 mp pictures abd overlays the pictures over the laser scan to give good visual apperance to the point cloud. I use it for scanning client petrochemical facilites, route piping, locate equipment, and use it for dimensional verification. Also used it to scan the engine, trans, tcase, axles and seats that i am putting in my buggy. I then built my tube frame around all those parts. Then cut the tabs, brackets, and parts on my plasma table. Cut the tube ends on the plasma as well. I can scan anything and with the use of scene, recap, and inventor I can make a model from anything in the scan. Exceptionally easy and fun IMO. I like it.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Sorry autocorrect. Faro 330x. I use it for scanning client petrochemical facilites, route piping, locate equipment, and use it for dimensional verification. Also used it to scan the engine, trans, tcase, axles and seats that i am putting in my buggy. I then built my tube frame around all those parts. Then cut the tabs, brackets, and parts on my plasma table. Cut the tube ends on the plasma as well. I can scan anything and with the use of scene, recap, and inventor I can make a model from anything in the scan. Exceptionally easy and fun IMO. I like it.

Sounds bad azz! Definitely going to look into them. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Looks like they are laser based and pretty expensive too. Definitely well reviewed though. That's cool you have such an awesome tool like this at your disposal.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Not sure if the exhaust housings change outside dimension based on a/r though...
Obviously t4 and t6 would be different from each other but I'm not sure if the different a/r's for each would be different

I think there change in size on the exhaust housing side would be negligible. Especially for the uses that these mock up turbos would be used for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Looks like they are laser based and pretty expensive too. Definitely well reviewed though. That's cool you have such an awesome tool like this at your disposal.

They are expensive. However mine has returned all the money i have invested into it and more. It just took me a two or three years to make it all back. It is nice to have though. I scanned my entire house inside and out and my property. Its fun to see what changes and great for insurance purposes.

So does the exhaust flange dimension does not change just the size of the snail? Or does the dimension change from say centerline of drain to centerline of exhaust housing?

ja_cain

Reaction score
They are expensive. However mine has returned all the money i have invested into it and more. It just took me a two or three years to make it all back. It is nice to have though. I scanned my entire house inside and out and my property. Its fun to see what changes and great for insurance purposes.

So does the exhaust flange dimension does not change just the size of the snail? Or does the dimension change from say centerline of drain to centerline of exhaust housing?

That's cool you got a roi in that ammount of time. I would love to scan my property. You have links to a video of someone using this as a cmm on small parts? I notice they make an arm type for that kind of application. The two machine shops we use have one or multiple zeiss cmm's. Definitly a large footprint compared to your device. Lol! They are crazy acurate though. Metrology is an interesting area. I used to work for a company that had all kinds of different metrology technology at their disposal. The size and type of features they could measure were mind boggling.

Btw, what printer model do you have? Any pics of stuff you have printed with it?

Last edited:

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I guess you could use it as a cmm on small parts. However the faro arm is much more suited for that. I have scanned a few small parts. They are almost all on my work computer at the office. My machine is a homebuilt off of cnczone.com same as my plasma table. The printer is 8x8x12 tall. Card and drivers and motors are from one company the head is from another. I cut the stand and base on the plasma then welded it up. Fun little project cost about 250 minus the stand. I had a little trouble shooting but the people on cnczone.com helped me work it out in 2 days. Now it works great. The is a new head out that will allow you to do a powdered alumina with plastic. Looks awesome and can handle some abuse. I know i have a few things i printed around the house here for the kids. Let me look.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
I guess you could use it as a cmm on small parts. However the faro arm is much more suited for that. I have scanned a few small parts. They are almost all on my work computer at the office. My machine is a homebuilt off of cnczone.com same as my plasma table. The printer is 8x8x12 tall. Card and drivers and motors are from one company the head is from another. I cut the stand and base on the plasma then welded it up. Fun little project cost about 250 minus the stand. I had a little trouble shooting but the people on cnczone.com helped me work it out in 2 days. Now it works great. The is a new head out that will allow you to do a powdered alumina with plastic. Looks awesome and can handle some abuse. I know i have a few things i printed around the house here for the kids. Let me look.

That's awesome you built it yourself. I would like to take the one at work and put ball screws on it and upgrade the head. The table/platform is heated too, but not sure to what degree.

That is cool you can dope the polymer with alumina. That will greatly enhance the thermal conductivity. I can think of many different situation where this could be helpful. Can't wait to see some samples.

Latest posts

Members online