499.1rwhp on Stock Injectors at Thoroughbred Diesels "Judgement Day" with the Stage 2

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
499.1rwhp on Stock Injectors at Thoroughbred Diesels "Judgement Day" with the Stage 2

Chris Guest's truck put down 499.1rwhp and 852.7rwtq with the MTW Stage 2, STOCK FUEL DELIVERY AND INJECTORS!. Congratulations Chris. That truck is absolutely beautiful and runs awesome.

The truck ran great from ATL GA up to Winchester KY and performed awesome in the event. We didn't even plan on dynoing Chris's truck, but after Adrian's tranny had "complications" with his build and wasn't at the event, we decided to run Chris's truck in Adrian's spot. We had to run the 2.6 class since thats where Adrian was pre-registered and knew we couldn't win but wanted to get something on the board regardless. Couldn't be happier with the result. We had hoped to lay down a BIG number with Adrian's truck, but getting this close to the 500rwhp mark on stock injectors was well worth the trip up.

Some info on Chris's truck. It's a 2006 CCSB Harley Davidson Edition with a 6" lift and 35x12.50R22's. The truck runs a 4" downpipe to a 5" straight pipe exhaust, EGR delete, AFE CAI, AFE Bladerunner intake elbow, 6.4l banjo's, PHP's Hercules 100 FICM tune, Stock fuel pump and stock injectors and the MTW Stage 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Hp looks good but the tq looks sick.. Why so low?

The turbos must move some air!!!

*edit*

I see in the gear head section it is 800ish Tq. Is this 562 a typo?

Last edited:

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Hp looks good but the tq looks sick.. Why so low?

The turbos must move some air!!!

Basically because its outta fuel. The run was completely clean, not even a light haze. When we slap some bigger injectors in it the torque will come back up. I honestly believe that this truck had all the right conditions today and that it is about tapped out on the stock injectors. I was hoping for 480-490rwhp and would've been ecstatic. Everyone at the event said the dyno was reading pretty damn close to what they knew their trucks to be puttin' down from other dyno's and the track so I'm very confident in this number. We are needless to say, very happy and would like to thank Chris for allowing us to run his truck.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
80hp gain on a 6.0 with just a turbo upgrade?

It has several other things including a very aggressive Hercules 100 FICM tune. Also Matt at Gearhead wrote the tune Chris ran today specifically for this turbo and I must say, he nailed it. I don't think there was any power at all left on the table, we put it all out today. My truck actually made 485rwhp with the same turbo and a similiar setup including the Herc 100 FICM tune, but I have a 58v Quick Tricks FICM and my tune was for the stock turbo. My tune had no tweaks for the Stage 2, we were still testing that it was drop in and required no special tuning. We have learned that the turbo's definitely benefit from special tuning but it isn't required. It was also close to 80* outside the day I ran the 485 and as humid as it gets in North Georgia in mid May, which is very, very humid. Chris's truck ran 454rwhp and 981rwtq on the stock turbo. We pulled his truck off the dyno that day and pulled mine on, then I laid down 451rwhp and 999rwtq with my stock turbo. Our trucks are about as evenly matched as they come.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Basically because its outta fuel. The run was completely clean, not even a light haze. When we slap some bigger injectors in it the torque will come back up. I honestly believe that this truck had all the right conditions today and that it is about tapped out on the stock injectors. I was hoping for 480-490rwhp and would've been ecstatic. Everyone at the event said the dyno was reading pretty damn close to what they knew their trucks to be puttin' down from other dyno's and the track so I'm very confident in this number. We are needless to say, very happy and would like to thank Chris for allowing us to run his truck.

Torque is relative to horsepower and where it's made at low rpm. It has nothing to do with running out of fuel, but if it's Matt's tuning , it's probably tuned for street manners which keeps pw out of it at lower rpm. Great numbers. Hopefully it gets to the track to back it up. Were there any other 6.0 or 6.4 there for comparison ? Usually mustangs aren't very giving so I doubt numbers were high unless the load or temperature were messed with.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Torque is relative to horsepower and where it's made at low rpm. It has nothing to do with running out of fuel, but if it's Matt's tuning , it's probably tuned for street manners which keeps pw out of it at lower rpm. Great numbers. Hopefully it gets to the track to back it up. Were there any other 6.0 or 6.4 there for comparison ? Usually mustangs aren't very giving so I doubt numbers were high unless the load or temperature were messed with.

I agree that tuning plays a role, but I had been told that when you start running out of fuel your torque numbers suffer first and this truck has definitely taken the stock injectors as far as they can go. That said, you know a lot more about the tuning than me so I digress. As far as the street manners, that truck drives like a dream. The throttle is extremely linear and the power comes on smooth and there is no lack of getty up. Matt did a fantastic job on this tune and I posted in the Gearhead section to thank him. I'm gonna try and post some pics of the truck on the dyno today.

There were other 6.0's and 6.4's there (it was a predominately Cummins driving crowd), but I was pretty busy talking to guys about MTW and answering questions about the turbo's. I also had my son with me and he always draws the attention of the ladies, so I had that going on as well. There was one very nice looking 6.0l there that had 155's and a PowerMax. He dynoed right around 430rwhp (don't recall his torque) on Erics Xtreme Street. He was not happy when Chris told him that his truck put down 499. The guy just got quiet, then walked away. We had a great time and the people at the event were all very nice. There were a couple of guys acting a little stupid with burnouts and driving too fast around the crowd, but other than that everything went off without a hitch.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Matt sorry I wasn't able to swing by yesterday, had a job that a customer needed done asap

It's all good man. Sorry for calling you at home, Adrian told me that was your cell #. Wish we could've met though. There's always next time. I'll come back to Thoroughbred's events in the future for sure. :thumbsup:

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
That torque number still doesn't add up. Great HP number on stock injectors, but the tq number has me confused. People told you that it's running out fuel that's why the tq number is low? Tq comes on low in the RPM range, so unless matt has pulled A LOT of fuel down low, that number should be higher.. IMO. But great run none the less, are there any plans on a trip to the track?

And why did you state in the other thread you started in the Gearhead vendor section that the torque was 852.7 and in this thread it's 562.7? Not trying to start anything, the guys here just like the facts to be straight

Last edited:

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
That torque number still doesn't add up. Great HP number on stock injectors, but the tq number has me confused. People told you that it's running out fuel that's why the tq number is low? Tq comes on low in the RPM range, so unless matt has pulled A LOT of fuel down low, that number should be higher.. IMO. But great run none the less, are there any plans on a trip to the track?

And why did you state in the other thread you started in the Gearhead vendor section that the torque was 852.7 and in this thread it's 562.7? Not trying to start anything, the guys here just like the facts to be straight

Sh*t guys, my bad. The whole torque number debate is my fault.:doh::doh::doh: I typed in the wrong number, I screwed that up. Good catch on my typo and thank you. The real torque number was 852.7 uncorrected. I'm sorry. I did the write up in the Gearhead section first and just completely screwed up in this thread. The 499.1rwhp and 852.7rwtq are the correct numbers. These are the numbers that will be seen in the upcoming article in Diesel World.

Could I get a mod to allow me to put the correct number in my original post?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I thought the 852rwtq seemed a little low, maybe 50-70ft-lbs, but didn't really understand why it kept coming up in discussion. Now that I re-read my original post, it makes since where all the confusion came from. Sorry again guys.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Them numbers add up very nicely. I guess I will add a post next time instead of editing mine, as I asked that also. Would have cleared this up sooner.

Was your tune a dyno or daily tune?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Them numbers add up very nicely. I guess I will add a post next time instead of editing mine, as I asked that also. Would have cleared this up sooner.

Was your tune a dyno or daily tune?

It was Matt's SRL X daily driver. We didn't change anything, just drove to KY and put the truck on the dyno.

Latest posts

Members online