hard or no start with a p1670

Dzchey21

Reaction score
got a truck, just put glow plugs, checked harnesses, gp relay ect on and its hard to start after it sits for a couple days. Nothing seams to help other than just flat out cranking on it untill it will start, eventually it will start but run very rough and then eventually smooth out once its warm, If its started if it is ran every day its fine but about 3 days of sitting and it will go back to not starting

Only code is a p1670 which is IDM return or something like that. While starting sometimes it smokes sometimes it doesn't, it shows 370 rpm cranking with a dashdaq, icp is around 500 if i remember right

once its running rough if you do a contribution test it will throw a bunch of injector codes and everytime you run the test its different cylinders eventually knocking out one cylinder every couple min untill you only get number 8 showing a contribution and the truck runs fine.

Im leaning to the IDM but it doesnt really make sense. I already checked the idm relay and fuses and they are all good. i have also bypassed the GP relay and it doesnt effect it, when you first crank it barley even sounds like it wants to start, eventually the longer you crank the more it comes to life before it will finally start and run.

any help will be cool, i think haller has a test idm im going to try but wanted any other advice before i dig into it.

truck is bone stock other than a ww2, no tuning or anything like that

Dzchey21

Reaction score
after the initial crank i just hooked up jumper cables to my 6.7 and let it sit just to make sure it wasnt say low voltage to the idm, this truck doesnt seam to crank very fast but im not really sure what they are supposed to sound like, i might try hooking it up right off the bat next time just to see. but for as much as i let it sit on my truck i dont think its the issue and it was 60 degrees when i did it

webb06

Reaction score
We had a truck like this in the shop last winter. Everything glowplug related showed fine. No injector codes. Injector buzz test showed fine. Contribution showed fine. Ended up replacing injectors just to see what would happen. New injectors solved the problem with that truck.

Once it's started how does it act? Run rough? Or is it pretty smooth?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It's rough till it warms up then smooth and power is good. If you start it the next day is fine might run rough for 2 min. One time it ran rough and like a light switch it smoothed out

webb06

Reaction score
It's rough till it warms up then smooth and power is good. If you start it the next day is fine might run rough for 2 min. One time it ran rough and like a light switch it smoothed out

The truck we fixed was low on power until it warmed up. Never missed bad. Yours sounds like a different issue then the truck we had.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
This to me almost acts like the idm is cold and the warmer it is or the longer it works the better it gets. Not really sure if im missing something or not, this guy just bought this truck a couple months ago. not sure if it always did this or not, truck has 244k on the ticker

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
plug the block heater in. if it starts fine then you might get the ole feeler gauges out and see if the injectors are worn

powerlifter405

Reaction score
This may or may not help.

The 7.3 does drain the batteries.

How's the life on the HPOP and what is the compression numbers?

Any smoke on start up?

Attachments

• GB_Tech_Bulletin_103_Ford IDM_Module_Replacement.pdf
    710.5 KB · Views: 81

Dzchey21

Reaction score
This may or may not help.

The 7.3 does drain the batteries.

How's the life on the HPOP and what is the compression numbers?

Any smoke on start up?

Not sure on the hpop supposedly is somewhat new, there were allot of little issues with the truck when this guy bought it so its really hard to say what really has been replaced.

I dk on the compression but it has almost no blow by hot at all, he got rid of his last truck because it had one bad cylinder and the blowby was terrible

Arisley

Reaction score
I am betting on HPOP system, could be the pump or the IPR. Second guess is injectors. Course it could be something as simple as the batts, batt cables, or the starter.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
im almost postive icp would come to 500 instantly but i could be wrong, i hope to have the truck back in the next week or so to do some more testing.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
also whats normal injection pw during cranking and idle? My dashdaq says 2.7ms... seams like alot of pw

Dzchey21

Reaction score
went and picked the truck up today, only sat for about 30 hours and it was hard to start, again with more cranking it got better untill it finally startedl, ran rough for 10 min and smoothed out. and ran fine. I have a test IDM here looks like tomorrow or thursday ill get to actually test it out since it doesnt take too long now that its colder. I dont think its the batteries tho, it cranked fine and finally started on its own tonight.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Next time it sets long enough to hard crank, pull the plug on the hpop reservoir and check the level there.

What year is the truck? Original injectors? Could be as simple as just external O-rings or injectors worn internally. It does take 500icp to start.

Hows the buzz test?

Latest posts

Members online