Who else runs hot?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I mentioned in my other thread that I have coolant temps that hover around 209* in 50* weather. Now I've been doing this for over 2 1/2 years and notice that my truck runs better than any other 7.3 I've ever driven. Of course I'm tuned, but I mainly use a daily driver tune. But I'm talking more so about a smooth running engine through all the gears. Everything else I drive seems to be rough and just not a very happy engine.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
After my motor was rebuilt my oil temps got above 230° with a diesel site 203° stat while on the free way.. switched it out to a 180° stat and it stays around 190° and only gets above that when I flog on the ole girl.

live life full throttle

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Was wondering about this myself... Usually around 200* for both, summer time at 80* pulling mountains would get to 217* before I'd back off..not sure what's too hot

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

GreenF350

Reaction score
Not a clue for me....I have no way of monitoring ECT other than the crap factory gauge in the dash. My oil temps run about 195-215 depending on the day/driving conditions though.
-Aaron

dsberman94

Reaction score
copied this from my thread over on psn. it was a reply to my question of what temp limits are for these trucks:

Everyone seems to think 1200* egt but more is ok for short durations. I have run mine to 1400* passing a semi on a 2 lane towing up the mtn just long enough to make the pass. EOT? depends on the type of oil. But the pcm will defuel @ about 290* I run syn and always see 245/255* while towing over 12K on 9+ miles of 6/7% in 100* ambient temps. Trans, I would be concerned over 230 or so. I added a trucool and never see over 180/185 no matter what I tow or where I tow.Everyone has their own opinions about this.

also i havent towed recently but in the middle of summer in 80-90 ambient temps i hit 215 eot cruising on the highway at 65. thats the highest ive noticed yet but i can get into the insight and check it if its a serious question. how are you guys monitoring the actual ect on a 7.3?

ToMang07

Reaction score
I mentioned in my other thread that I have coolant temps that hover around 209* in 50* weather. Now I've been doing this for over 2 1/2 years and notice that my truck runs better than any other 7.3 I've ever driven. Of course I'm tuned, but I mainly use a daily driver tune. But I'm talking more so about a smooth running engine through all the gears. Everything else I drive seems to be rough and just not a very happy engine.

What * TS do you have in it? I have a 203* and it runs a tad hot, but runs better, especially unloaded. I'll have to hook AE up to see what the actual temp is, but I remember it wasn't anything I was worried about. I don't tow heavy often, but when I do she loves it.

Tom S

Reaction score

How are you measuring those temps and how sure are you that reading is accurate?

sniper_101

Reaction score
I run a 203*, I have no issues hauling with it in the prairies here with light (under 12k) loads, even in the summer. I did however change it out for my trip through the mountains pulling 8k with a 185 or 190* T-stat. I'm glad I did because the EOT did climb to 225 a few times. It would have made me a bit uneasy if the 203* was in there.

I have to install a "weather front"/rad block off behind the grille in the winter even with my 203* or else if the outside air is below 50* the truck won't get above 190* EOT/ECT. With a 185/190* T-stat, it struggles to get above 155* in the winter. In the summer the ECT/EOT is usually always 200-210*. With the cooler temps starting here sometimes the oil does hover about 10-15* cooler than the coolant, but once on the highway or under load it slowly catches up. Mine runs cool, but runs better the warmer it gets no question.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm measuring at t stat housing with my new isspro gauges... There's alot of EOT discussion in here, but not much ECT......

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I used to see coolant temps of 230* towing heavy with the 192* stat... I still have a 203* stat on the shelf in the shop...

180* stat is perfect in my book.

Keeps my oil temps below 220* in all but the most extreme conditions.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
But how do you maintain a good temp in the winter?

This is the first winter I have had it in... but thus far with 30-35* temps I have seen the same 190* water temp with 200* oil temps.

We will see when it get's really cold if I have any issues.

alradco

Reaction score

What tstat do you have?

mandkole

Reaction score
I dont specifically watch coolant temps, but the EOT is usually at 194-195 (per the scan gauge) with the car trailer loaded at 8K-- I cant imagine the coolant temp is much different. Ambient at 50-60F with 1500' elevation change; not worked real hard. I dont know which stat this truck has in it.

Latest posts

Members online