CPS gear contact?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My dually started running like chit again. Pulled codes. P0344 cps signal intermittent. 3rd cps in the past 4 months.. none of the others had marks on them.. other two where the original black cps's that no longer exist. This cps is the recall grey cps... Pulled cps to find marks on the end... is there a shim or anything to keep it away from the gear? Gear is tig welded.
me5eqe3a.jpg

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
do you still have a black one? if so, have you compared length with some calipers? I thought I read somewhere that early DT444 CPSs were sometimes shimmed... Ive never seen a shim in an earlier motor.

I would think that if an .020" arbor shim fits, it should work.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The last black one I had lasted 3 hours... got pissed and threw it... so nope... the new ford cps is the exact dimensions as the old grey one. Any idea where I could get a shim?

live life full throttle

PSDEng

Reaction score
Yeah that's weird there's contact if the gear is welded. When I was having that problem I was going through a CPS about every 90 seconds of run time. IH dealer should have the shims for them.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I hope not either.. has only 7000 miles on since rebuild.

Thanks fellas. I'll do some more checking around... nearest ih dealer is bout 2hrs away I think.

live life full throttle

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Id spin the engine over by hand and watch through the hole for anything on the gear. I've had this happen in three different motors. One had a aftermarket cover that was too thin, one the bearings were shot and cam moving and other oil was so hot it swelled the plastic up on cps and it made contact

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Id spin the engine over by hand and watch through the hole for anything on the gear. I've had this happen in three different motors. One had a aftermarket cover that was too thin, one the bearings were shot and cam moving and other oil was so hot it swelled the plastic up on cps and it made contact

Well, I dont think these are fresh scuff marks cuz the oil is imbedded in it and won't come clean so I guess it could be the oil got hot before it started running like chit. Stock front cover and id still say a fresh rebuild that's not broke in yet... it was 18° outside last night when I started the truck to move it into our work shop.... started up fine but after the engine temp started to rise and I dont think it hit 100°, it started running chittier and chittier till it would just die like ya turned the key off.

live life full throttle

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Following this to see what you find
I was going to ask about the cam gear in the other thread that you posted that picture in but you stated that is welded..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
so, I havnt done much with the truck at all... I have put 2 more cps's in since my last post. I didnt get a pic cuz I forgot the cps on the bench at my farm. the last one I put in I made some shims. I used some wax paper and cut a couple pieces to fit and noticed some ever so slight contact marks. not even close to the above pic. so I added a 3rd shim of wax paper and painted the end of the cps silver to make it easier to see contact marks.. and it fired right up and purred like a kitten.. didnt drive it but a hundred yards or so cuz I was rebuilding the receiver hitch. when I get another free minute or 2 I will pull that cps and see if it has marks on it in that short amount of time...

79jasper

Reaction score
Can't find it now. Just saw it the other day.
It was a comparison of all the cps's.
How big the magnet is, if it's centered or offset, plastic covering the end, etc.
Think it was the bw that was best, but can have interference when the wipers are on.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Edit; found it. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/cps-testing-information-297638/

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yep, tarm did some research on them too... as far as I could tell, these are identical to the gray cps's.. other that the ford gray cps, all of mine came from riffraff.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Can't find it now. Just saw it the other day.
It was a comparison of all the cps's.
How big the magnet is, if it's centered or offset, plastic covering the end, etc.
Think it was the bw that was best, but can have interference when the wipers are on.

Edit; found it. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/cps-testing-information-297638/

Yes, their are shims.
And the ford/ih are no longer the best CPS to use.

^Don't smoke your breakfast kids.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
^Don't smoke your breakfast kids.
lol, sad part is im starting to believe him... i am going to try a bw and delphi sensor.. the ford sensors all make contact except the original black ones. must be enough extra plastic on the ends to contact the sensor... im hoping that is the issue anyway. its that or bearing walk cuz the cam gear is supposed to be welded.

Latest posts

Members online