Bumper fab advice/assistance.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I am taking welding courses and it is the bare bones for my degree I am going to take the time and get certified after I graduate. Eventually doing my own thing later on but I need to get my fab skills down first practice on my own stuff to make sure it is proven and a quality job. I want to start with the basics then work my way into the more complicated aspect of fabrication as I increase my skills on the little things.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/ram

The bumper I would like to build is similar to the AEV concept dodge that was at SEMA 2013 for my truck. I really want to have a clean symmetrical looking bumper that offers better functioning of my truck.

I want protection, two inch receiver hitch, 16.5k winch, lights similar to the elite series fab fours, pre runner bar(4 light force 170 HID, 2 baja designs fog floods and 20" baja designs bar, D-ring mount, does not stick out a ridiculous amount, does not hang down a lot, looks almost factory somewhat and is clean.

The rear is a little more simple foot step, light mounts, removable wheel carrier/high lift jack and air supply.

As I was looking at similar builds or manufacturers who make them I was trying to wrap my head around how do I mount or fab it to look like so. My main concern is the mounting and then looks, I thought 1/4" boxed plate, counter sunk washers with 70 LB torqued bolts should offer plenty of strength. The looks part comes down to cost and materials used I was thinking about a tube frame with 3/16 plate for the strength aspect then a thinner material to give me the look I would like. I would like something safe that keeps the air bag sensors active and compliant while still offering what I need/want.

All the help I can get is greatly appreciated for materials, fab advice, concerns or changes.

-Brad.

rob05

Reaction score
I built a bumper for my last truck and welded up some brackets out of 3/8" steel to bolt to the factory holes in the frame:

DSCN1774.jpg

I then built a winch box off of these and then skinned it and bent/welded the tube.

DSCN1784.jpg

DSCN1796-1.jpg

DSCN1879.jpg

My next one will be more tube based I think, but again I'll build a "box" to bolt to the frame horn and then built uprights off those to weld the tube too.

nossliw

Reaction score
That bumper in that AEV web add sure looks slick, but as a "bumper" beside housing the winch it doesn't seem all to functional to me. Protecting the nose, hitting animals, actually protecting the grill and front of the truck, etc.

one I built... I wanted the winch exposed with quick disconnects in case I wanted to mount it in the receiver, or rear receiver.... lets be real, you are not always winching forward....
image1-4.jpg

image-4.jpg

Best advice I have is build it so the weight is "sitting" on the frame, not hanging. Adds shear load to the bolts, which most do not properly drill putting all the load on 1 or two bolts.

Box in the frame and strengthen it, 99% of people out there do not do this, and heck did rob05 use 1/2" plate??? Nice work! Built a damn battering ram. I used 3/8 and 1/4" for mine, and with the 16.5 Warn it weight over 500 lbs... so take that into consideration with adding an inch or two into the front suspension lift. Or build it so its light and looks good and box/gusset your joints for when they will take a hit.

IDIoit

Reaction score
my buddy makes these.
not winch friendly, but it conforms pretty nice IMO.
could be modified for a winch.
we did 1/2" steel for the mounts to the frame, and hangers.
all 1/2" and hitch are TIG welded in, everything else is MIG'd

the only problem with making mounts that sit ontop of the frame in these 01's is that the frame has a 4 bolt mount on each frame rail.
i guess you could cut them off, and make them sit on the frame.

my suggestion that i give everyone is CLEAN YOUR METAL!
image4.jpg

everything else is personal opinion

Latest posts

Members online