Turbo went out in my '15

05stroker15

Reaction score
I have a 2015 SC DRW that has 32k on it and has been deleted and tuned with PIP tunes since 2200 mi. It has ran well and not had any issues till about a week ago on the way to San Antonio and I when to pass someone. It was then that I heard a sound that was not normal. Then yesterday it got worse. It will now make noise with low boost as well.

So, now I am looking for a new turbo and am looking for advise on which way to go. I want to upgrade while I am replacing it. Not looking for a ton more power and have been searching all over and have not seen a big failure rate in the 2015s like the previous builds.

By far my fastest and easiest fix is to just get the new Ford unit from my dealer, that will only run me $1370. Then I have to wonder if I will be doing this again in another 30k. Then there are the many upgrades out there. I am looking at the Barden Billet upgraded factory unit and it looks like a nice upgrade, but is it the best one for myself?

I will most likely need to put a Ford stock unit back on to get the truck up and running fast. Then a couple weeks after I make my mind up on the upgrade I can swap it out and use the new stock unit to upgrade my sons 2012.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
get a drop in towmax or streetmax from Morgan @ Midwest diesel 217-691-1909

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Have you checked shaft play or anything with the turbo to verify?

There are a few options out there for upgrading turbo's. Midwest's upgraded 2015 turbo's are actually very nice to drive with a good set of custom tunes on stock fuel. Or, if you don't mind losing the turbo breaking feature of your truck, we can get you setup in a H&S single turbo kit that has been proven to be a well performing turbo charger on stock fuel and beyond. If you want more info on either one, shoot me a PM or give me a call at the number in my sig and i'll be glad to chat with you about it. :thumbsup:

05stroker15

Reaction score
Have you checked shaft play or anything with the turbo to verify?:

I have not checked it myself, I did have the dealer I deal with check it (I have a good relationship with these guys) and the tech said there was excessive play. It would run fine under normal driving and only make the noise at WOT. Then yesterday it stated doing it at low boost (10 psi) as well and as I pulled into a drive through I could hear a bearing type noise the it faded away.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I have not checked it myself, I did have the dealer I deal with check it (I have a good relationship with these guys) and the tech said there was excessive play. It would run fine under normal driving and only make the noise at WOT. Then yesterday it stated doing it at low boost (10 psi) as well and as I pulled into a drive through I could hear a bearing type noise the it faded away.

Gotchya.

Irregardless, there's options out there that I'm sure will more than exceed your expectations. The biggest determining factor between the two kit's that are mentioned above is if you want to keep your factory turbo brake or not.

05stroker15

Reaction score
Coming from a guy that runs old junk. How is this not covered under warranty?

Tuned and deleted... My guys at the dealer and I have a understanding. I don't try to make them warranty things that I have obviously destroyed and everything else still gets warrantied. Turbo and motor where discussed as a big no no with me before I tuned the truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Tuned and deleted... My guys at the dealer and I have a understanding. I don't try to make them warranty things that I have obviously destroyed and everything else still gets warrantied. Turbo and motor where discussed as a big no no with me before I tuned the truck.
right on man! the way it should be!

live life full throttle

kmanxj

Reaction score

Gotchya :walkin:

Jason

Reaction score
Hopefully you can find help here getting this fixed. I am the one on s197 who told you to come check over here. I forgot all about Morgan Primm at Midwest Auto&Trans, between him, and Mike (bigrpwr), they should be more than capable of getting you fixed up. There are several threads here about turbo swaps that are not just retrofitting 15 turbos on their trucks, to gather info from, and give you that side of the spectrum.

good luck, and welcome.

05stroker15

Reaction score
Hopefully you can find help here getting this fixed. I am the one on s197 who told you to come check over here. I forgot all about Morgan Primm at Midwest Auto&Trans, between him, and Mike (bigrpwr), they should be more than capable of getting you fixed up. There are several threads here about turbo swaps that are not just retrofitting 15 turbos on their trucks, to gather info from, and give you that side of the spectrum.

good luck, and welcome.

Thanks, and it looks like I will just put a new Ford unit on there this weekend and do my research. My kid can use the unit I buy from Ford on his '12 when Im done.

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
I would consider maybe looking into your tuning also. 15 turbos are relatively close to a Duramax turbo and aren't known to crap the bed like the 11-14 turbos. Some of the tuning i ran on mine with the street max would have sue enough destroyed the turbo sooner then later. Just my .02 cents

05stroker15

Reaction score
Well turbo number two is down with 6k more on the clock. I have drove another 4k while having the issue. It is not that the turbo its self is making a noise as thought before. The turbo is venting boost to the exhaust pipe when ever I get in it 3/4 or more. It has something to do with the control solenoid as I can make the truck have the issue and while still rolling down the highway, put the truck in Neutral and turn the key off, then restart and all is good till I get in the gas hard again.

Any ideas?

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Well turbo number two is down with 6k more on the clock. I have drove another 4k while having the issue. It is not that the turbo its self is making a noise as thought before. The turbo is venting boost to the exhaust pipe when ever I get in it 3/4 or more. It has something to do with the control solenoid as I can make the truck have the issue and while still rolling down the highway, put the truck in Neutral and turn the key off, then restart and all is good till I get in the gas hard again.

Any ideas?

That blows man. So the New turbo is doing it as well?
Which version of the Pip tune are you running? Have you tried flashing to a different tune to see if it still does it?

Charles

05stroker15

Reaction score
That blows man. So the New turbo is doing it as well?
Which version of the Pip tune are you running? Have you tried flashing to a different tune to see if it still does it?

Charles
I am running the R7 tunes and this turbo has only been on the street tune, or level 2 of 4, since it was installed. I did flash the level 3 Performance tune in today to see if it made any difference and it did not. I swapped out the control solenoid today with no change.

05stroker15

Reaction score
After some more research, it looks like my truck came with the "A" turbo and when I bought the new one was an "A" turbo as well. I'm going to replace it with the updated "B" part number and go from there. They are going to warranty the replacement turbo.

Latest posts

Members online