front suspension Bump Stops

TD-5

Reaction score
I never paid much attention to these with my old 97 OBS, It's sprung so stiff there isn't a snow balls chance in hell it will ever compress the suspension fully.
But now I'm thinking about my 2010 350 with the coil springs and radius arms. How critical are the bump stops & the amount of clearance between them & the differential?. What exactly do they prevent?, coil springs from bottoming under full compression, shocks, both?
Most stock trucks I've looked at have maybe 1" to 1 1/2" of clearance between the bump & the diff pad, not much.
I bought this 2010 with a 4" Rancho lift previously installed, seems ok, handles well enough, but they didn't install the bump stop extenders. It has 4-4 1/2" of clearance between the bump & pad?...... Too Much??

On the other end of things, what limits the travel on these front ends under full extension, like wheels of the ground?

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
I'd mark your shocks, pull them out and measure the distance to full compression. If it is less than 5 1/2 in, that is not good cause you'll already be 1 in of compression into the bump stop which is what the suspension should tap out on softly, not a hard and destructive stop on the shock at full compression.

Measure and be sure.

Twan

Reaction score
On my truck the sway bar use to stop the travel, now my shocks are. I will be putting limit straps on so it will stop about 1/2" before the shock.

Set your pump stops to hit before the shocks bottom out, i never worry, never had any trouble with hitting the bump stops or bottoming out of shocks, but I have had the shock maxed out a few times.

Jomax

Reaction score
If your shocks are limiting the travel. Install straps. I blew out my front end offroading because of that.

Snapped my shocks in half, coils flew out, tore my brake lines and landed on the bumps stops. No fun lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.