Oddball regen interval question

kampy

Reaction score
Any Ford factory techs or programmers that know how this regen system is supposed to work?

Mine usually works normally, or at least what I consider normally. It works it’s way up to 100%, goes into regen, heats up the DPF, works its way down to about 23% and shuts off the process. Continues to cook down to about 10-12% then starts the process over again. Same deal I’ve seen on most everything with a DPF since 08.

I monitor with a CTS insight and here’s what’s confusing me, sometimes it goes into regen for pretty much no good reason.

I’ve seen this happen 3 times, at 10,000 miles with 11% soot load, 12400 miles with 27% soot load, and this weekend at 14700 miles with 35% soot load.

It goes into active regen and stays there way after the soot % is at 0. Sometimes as long as 10 miles after it’s already at 0%. Every time its been either towing or with the camper in the bed, always on the interstate with the cruise set between 75-80.

I’ve had 2 different dealers look at it and one of them put in a hotline question to an engineer but nobody is willing to offer up an answer. It just kind of irks me to not know why its throwing fuel away for no reason. I’d be content with “we hard coded the emissions strategy to regen every 2500 miles regardless of the soot % to keep it clean” or any reasonable answer, instead of just a stupid look like they don’t understand.

The regional engineer said it wasn’t possible then stood there with a stupid look on his face when the dealer showed him the picture of the monitor.
Anybody got any good ideas besides delete?

In the pic you can see the bottom two spots are DPF status and DPF load, and the little red light on top shows its in an active regen.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 51

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I've been switching up the PIDs to see what info works best. I found that DPF SOOT CONCENTRATION seems to report what's really going on much better. Usually it will start regen around 3.5 and burn down below 1.0. Once it's down low enough the regen stops. I'll report my findings with the DPF LOAD PID.

I would believe that Edge doesn't have the actual Ford coding to make it a perfect scan tool.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Just another good reason to delete the truck when the tuning comes out!

Sorry I cant offer you any actual good advice on this matter...

kampy

Reaction score
I've been switching up the PIDs to see what info works best. I found that DPF SOOT CONCENTRATION seems to report what's really going on much better. Usually it will start regen around 3.5 and burn down below 1.0. Once it's down low enough the regen stops. I'll report my findings with the DPF LOAD PID.

I would believe that Edge doesn't have the actual Ford coding to make it a perfect scan tool.

Not sure about that, the edge reports the same info on soot % as the IDS, we have one at work and I've had the dealer check it also, it always matches whats on the monitor. The soot % and soot concentration are both inferred numbers taken from a preprogrammed algorithm based on info from the back pressure and intake sensor as well as a half dozen other sensors. Still curious why it would go into regen when soot is low though, just doesn't make any sense at all, seems like its programmed to do it every 2500 miles whether it needs it or not.

If I can't get a straight answer from ford (which I don't seem to able to get) and I don't get it figured out by next spring it will get deleted. Its just frustrating knowing the manufacturer and technicians either don't care enough or aren't smart enough to figure out why the POS they built isn't right.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
From my dash EOT & Trans temps to what the Edge reads is a few degrees different. The Ford temps seem to change at a different rate over the Edge. The Edge unit seems like it's using a long time interval to average the temps.

Maybe I need to hook up the AE and see what I get thru that setup. I'd keep taking it back to them. After too long you got enough evidence they can't fix a repeated issue.

kampy

Reaction score
From my dash EOT & Trans temps to what the Edge reads is a few degrees different. The Ford temps seem to change at a different rate over the Edge. The Edge unit seems like it's using a long time interval to average the temps.

Maybe I need to hook up the AE and see what I get thru that setup. I'd keep taking it back to them. After too long you got enough evidence they can't fix a repeated issue.

I've noticed the temp differences but on mine but as near as I can tell they are always within 1 degree and about a second, maybe two, delay from the dash reading when the temps are changing.

Problem is they don't even open a ticket if they cant find anything to charge for, both dealerships are like that, i think its part of the three times thing Ford learned about on buybacks. It's been in 6 or 7 times but if you pull an oasis report it shows 2. Once for a dew wiper and once for a flash.

Not really interested in giving it back or anything, I really like it and want to keep it. This little annoyance just has my OCD working OT I guess. I was just curious if anyone else had noticed a similar set of circumstances with their truck.

Like I said, I'll keep fiddling with it and try to figure it out with or without Fords help. If nothing else I'll get the tax refund package from Mike D in the spring.

Thanks for the insight, everything is worth looking into.

Latest posts

Members online