ESOF Issues

dixiepridetowing

Reaction score
I've run into certain problems with the electronic shift on the fly. What would happen shifting into 4 wheel drive I would hear a loud bang when it would engage and sometimes when it gets disengaged the hubs would not release from automatic I'm just wondering what is going on here any help would be appreciated

dmd

Reaction score
i had issues like that and had to replace the dash switch, did that after replacing
the servo that did nothing to help. New switch needs a new style mount that I think
cost more than the switch itself.

Like you said it would bang loud when engaging and disengaging when it shouldn't have.

Now it is just a dull clunk and stays put.

dixiepridetowing

Reaction score
I can feel the front end skipping on a turn when it doesn't disengage the last time it happened I switched the hubs to lock then automatic manually and that seemed to release them

dsberman94

Reaction score
So they did what they were supposed to in a turn when they’re locked in without 4x4 engaged. They’re from the 7.3 years so they’re junk to start with. Replace them with non vacuum manual aftermarket ones or deal with them being locked in all the time. Unless you want to take the time to take them apart every 6 months to grease and rebuild them.

dixiepridetowing

Reaction score
Ok I'm sure they've never been serviced before either so I'm sure that wouldn't hurt. I have been thinking about manual lockers but I wasn't sure if the esof bang had anything to do with the hubs since it is vacuum powered and how would I bypass the vacuum without throwing a fault in the 4wd or computer system

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
There is a vacuum pump on the passenger side fender area. It has lines going down to each front hub. You can simply remove those lines and plug them. Don't disable the vacuum pump, it also controls the climate control system vent doors.

Or at each wheel, pull the vacuum line off and stick a golf tee in the line.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I siliconed a small screw into the plastic 90 at the wheel well and put a brass plug in the steering knuckle to keep dirt out of there.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
they make hubs/winches/off road stuff, I think they're their own brand, but I'm sure they're owned by a large company or another company that makes many different versions of the same thing.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
my hubs only seem to work in locked mode anymore, can't find a vacuum leak anywhere and just replaced one hub seal last year and hadn't touched 4wd til recently and it didn't work again, probably time to do the other side again

dixiepridetowing

Reaction score
When I disengage 4wd mine will stay locked sometimes and I don't know why any other opinions on the original topic though? Sometimes when I go into 4wd it won't engage till I move and it will bang hard with that.

psduser1

Reaction score
The system is designed to engage 4x while in motion.
If the truck is not moving, and you switch to 4x, the actuator is still trying to engage the transfer case, i.e. binding the gears against each other. As soon as the truck moves far enough, the teeth on the two gears line up, bang-your in 4x.
I've heard of guys bending the "fingers" that actually move the gear because they try to engage 4x at a standstill. Not sure if that is your problem, exactly?

psduser1

Reaction score
I was not aware that the truck had to be in motion what if you're stuck in soft grass should you be spinning and then engage?

I know all about being stuck on wet grass, lol. And yes, I have flicked the switch at a standstill.
Spinning the back tires does not mean the front tires are moving, which is what you're after when switching to 4x.

Latest posts

Members online