6.4L Fan Clutch Temp Change

Reaction score
Matt,

I have some questions that I think may help out the community in the future. do you know if fan clutch engagement tables can be adjusted ? I'm keeping the details short. I currently see fan engagement at ECT of 220 deg F. I'd like to see the fan come on about 210.

I can follow up with an PM or email if you prefer.

Reaction score
Matt,

I have some questions that I think may help out the community in the future. do you know if fan clutch engagement tables can be adjusted ? I'm keeping the details short. I currently see fan engagement at ECT of 220 deg F. I'd like to see the fan come on about 210.

I can follow up with an PM or email if you prefer.

I have him adjust this often on both 6.4s and 6.0s.

Reaction score
I spent about a 1000 miles pulling through some form of a grade earlier this month and i happen to have my AE with me. My first big pull i noticed that my oil temp began to climb before my coolant temp with zero engagement of the fan. That same night I did some research on the 6.4L's cooling fan strategy and learned that it's not just coolant temp that triggers it; several different inputs play a part: EOT, ECT, Condenser temp, Delta between EOT and ECT, etc. I also learned that Ford is ok with 220 ECT and a delta of 30 deg between EOT and ECT!! I found that a bit excessive especially when you have a massive fan doing nothing.

The next day i decided to use the AE to trigger the fan on starting at 30% all the way to 50%. During similar climbs with elevations reaching as high as 11,000 FT, I could keep EOT and ECT all within 200-215 range with the fan on at 30%.

I dont know about you, but i surely feel much more comfortable with 210 ECT & EOT vs. 220 ECT and 245 EOT!! I only let it get that high once just so i could verify that the fan clutch would come on and actually do its job of pulling down the temps, which it did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I spent about a 1000 miles pulling through some form of a grade earlier this month and i happen to have my AE with me. My first big pull i noticed that my oil temp began to climb before my coolant temp with zero engagement of the fan. That same night I did some research on the 6.4L's cooling fan strategy and learned that it's not just coolant temp that triggers it; several different inputs play a part: EOT, ECT, Condenser temp, Delta between EOT and ECT, etc. I also learned that Ford is ok with 220 ECT and a delta of 30 deg between EOT and ECT!! I found that a bit excessive especially when you have a massive fan doing nothing.

The next day i decided to use the AE to trigger the fan on starting at 30% all the way to 50%. During similar climbs with elevations reaching as high as 11,000 FT, I could keep EOT and ECT all within 200-215 range with the fan on at 30%.

I dont know about you, but i surely feel much more comfortable with 210 ECT & EOT vs. 220 ECT and 245 EOT!! I only let it get that high once just so i could verify that the fan clutch would come on and actually do its job of pulling down the temps, which it did.

Similar situation with the 6.0s. From the factory the on temp for the oil is set stupid high, back it down a little and they stay much cooler when towing.

Latest posts

Members online