Cam,pistons..

Strokethis34

Reaction score
So I'm planning in the next week or so to pull my motor and put new lifters,billet cam,pushrods,valve springs. And coated/flycut pistons.

Now my question is piston fly cutting. With the stage 2 cam.
Some say its required and some don't.
Opinions and recommendations please!
Anyone running. Billet cam?

JGman141

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing the same thing, I would just go with the fly cut pistons to be safe.

Reaction score
I sell stage one regrind cams (webb06's) and stage 2 billets. A have seen valve marks with stock cams and do not recommend them without fly cutting. Stage two is a must if you want to run it.

Like Webb said peace of mind. If you break a u-joint and over rev your engine, do you want to be tearing it down because you didn't have adequate clearance built into you engine and floated a valve?

I can set you up with a good deal when your ready.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I know the Holder guys run the stage 1's. There are a few people running them here, haven't heard of anyone fly cutting for the stage 1's. Hard to plan around a theoretical mishap. If you were worried about the over-rev you could just do stiffer valve springs instead of fly cutting the pistons... JMO.

Extended Power

Reaction score
If you call and talk to Geoff at Colt Cams, he will explain if you need it or not. (He is the owner/cam grinder.)

I run his stage 2, which still does not require piston machining, as it is still using a stock cam...just reground.

If you were NOT replacing the springs, I would say get the pistons done.

But...I always like to error on the side of safe when it comes to metal to metal contact...so I have machined pistons.

One more thing...pending on whoever does the machining...they can remove whatever amount you want. (Elite does different depths of fly cutting for different cam profiles.)

04stroker

Reaction score
We run the stage 1 all the time with stock pistons with no trouble. The stage 2 is a toss up. It's very close to the same grind not a lot different, cut pistons would give you that assurance but Geoff says they are not needed.

Strokethis34

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to hear from people with them.
Spoke with Morgan and he said the notice pretty big difference.

Anyone get a home for the new pistons?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.