Out with the old in with the new

Dzchey21

Reaction score
OK as some of you know i made some recent changes and finally got it buttoned up. list of things that have changed

Switched from a 71mm vgt to a 63mm vgt (from high powers)
Switched to elite/rudy's dual fuelers
added a no limit intercooler pipe
increased nozzle size from 110s to 150s
changed some air filter piping stuff
removed electric fans and installed stock fan

Old air filter set up behind the head light, had a problem with it sucking in water and then making a huge restriction. collapsed the filter on the dyno one time it was so bad

2011-09-04_20-15-04_595.jpg

new filter design wraps around farther to the back and should be clear of any water that might get sent thru the grill or headlight

here is the newest set up , filter is much bigger than the last one too. Filter minder seams happy so far.

2012-01-25_19-13-27_203.jpg

HEre is the old piping and black painted compressor housings
2011-09-09_21-51-20_607.jpg

some new pictures, unfortunatly i made the pipe one piece and i made it without the pipe out of the high pressure turbo and it made too much contact so i had to cut the pipe and add a boot to make it fit, i have already blown the pipe off so im going to have to either weld it back up or fab a new one out of aluminum.

I got the new No limit pipe from mike as well, first one for dual fuelers and it fits like a dream, barley had to trim the radiator support and everything lined up great.

2012-01-25_19-13-39_444.jpg

2012-01-25_19-13-54_138.jpg

2012-01-14_19-15-42_241.jpg

here is a pic of the dual fuelers without the radiator in

2012-01-22_14-02-18_704.jpg

So far im loving the set up, builds boost fast, this morning at 1300 rpm i rolled into it at about 20 psi of boost, and i know it is a towable set up again which im excited about. Egt's never broke 1450 on the extreme street, we will see what more fuel does to that.

I was really worried about the smoke with 150s, but its actually about like driving a stock turbo'd truck, and im not even joking.

Truck pulls hard, makes about 48 psi of boost so far, with no gate tuning at all, back pressure is well in check at 52psi absolute. Still running a small extreme street thats only 1.75 ms of pw, plan on running race soon but the weather has been poopy here.

Plans are to put it on the dyno when i can, and the weather permits, maybe this weekend but i dont know if the weather will cooperate. Im also going to try and get a cruising around town video of it with a go pro near the tail pipe to see that 150s can be a dd, and as a matter of fact i think 200s would do just fine, as this set up smokes way less than 110s did with any other turbo set up i've tried so far.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Great news!! Happy for you buddy. I truly admire your persistence. Gotta be a good feeling knowing you're doing it all yourself.

Cant wait to see what it does on the dyno. Bet you're happy just to have it back on the road...

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Looks awesome Dustin. I got the new No Limit pipe too. Cant wait to get it on. Keep up the good work bud glad to see it coming along.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Great news!! Happy for you buddy. I truly admire your persistence. Gotta be a good feeling knowing you're doing it all yourself.

Cant wait to see what it does on the dyno. Bet you're happy just to habe it back on the road...

Thanks buddy, it does feel good when its done, but at the time i hate life LOL

Been nice to drive, esp this time around because its so smoke free, i can for once accelerate and not really worry about smoke even if i get a little rushed.

Looks awesome Dustin. I got the new No Limit pipe too. Cant wait to get it on. Keep up the good work bud glad to see it coming along.

You'll love the pipe, fit absolutely perfect and clears the dual fueler pulley alot more than what i have see other pipes do.

Man you got to much time on your hands... Haha that looks amazing

My wife isn't overly happy this go-around but im glad its done, def not getting in any hurry to drive it hard, i have honestly just pushed it hard for short periods just to ease into things to make sure nothing breaks, trying to log as much data as possible and like craig said its all too hard to watch at one time.

It does feel good to have a fuel system that just works right out of the box tho, and the elite/rudy kit is a really nice, well engineered peice, really easy to install, other than the lines are hard to tighten with the intake on. But im super happy so far.

Thanks for the compliments guys

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Awesome work Dustin! I am sure that you and Mike will get that thing running like a top once you get some dyno time in. Congratulations!

Dustin....the garage innovator of the 6.4L community. LOL

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Great to see it back together and performing. I am surprised hearing those 150's are relatively smokeless. You think the smaller size turbo makes it use the air and fuel more efficiently so runs cleaner? Be waiting to see what ex-race throws out the pipe. What is feeding the 63? I don't remember. I bet you are loving having it back on the road.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
oh and i forgot to mention no haze at idle, that might be because it makes almost 1 psi of boost at idle LOL

Thanks jeff

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Great to see it back together and performing. I am surprised hearing those 150's are relatively smokeless. You think the smaller size turbo makes it use the air and fuel more efficiently so runs cleaner? Be waiting to see what ex-race throws out the pipe. What is feeding the 63? I don't remember. I bet you are loving having it back on the road.

your exactly right, for once im now driving on a turbo thats flows the correct air flow at part throttle for what im trying to do, so egts are down, boost is up, smoke is way down ect

The big turbo is an 86mm billet wheel.

Im convinced that a 63 in a set of high powers would make them alot more towable and little less smoke off the bottom (not that they are bad at all) but i really like this turbo and i think it would make a perfect turbo for any street truck as a secondary turbo.

I also should note that desired back pressure and actual back pressure mimic each other almost identical, and i think the reason behind it is the vgt has enough space when the vanes are open to relive pressure, and since the turbine of the low pressure is so big im not getting back pressure creep from the low pressure turbo.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Truly a great job Dustin. Its inspiring see'in people tackle the 6.4, maybe your a mechanic by trade...but still. I will probably do everything to my truck, not much for letting someone build it for me.

Good inspiration here!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Truly a great job Dustin. Its inspiring see'in people tackle the 6.4, maybe your a mechanic by trade...but still. I will probably do everything to my truck, not much for letting someone build it for me.

Good inspiration here!

I work for a cat dealer here so i turn some wrenches LOL But alot of this stuff is fab work, that honestly i learned in high school welding class. I do love working on my own stuff, pretty satisfying when it works, but very frustrating when it does not

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
So your seeing pretty close to 1:1 with big compounds, big fuel, and no wastegate tuning? I guess I read that right? That is awesome if that is the case!

BFT

Reaction score
your exactly right, for once im now driving on a turbo thats flows the correct air flow at part throttle for what im trying to do, so egts are down, boost is up, smoke is way down ect

The big turbo is an 86mm billet wheel.

Im convinced that a 63 in a set of high powers would make them alot more towable and little less smoke off the bottom (not that they are bad at all) but i really like this turbo and i think it would make a perfect turbo for any street truck as a secondary turbo.

I also should note that desired back pressure and actual back pressure mimic each other almost identical, and i think the reason behind it is the vgt has enough space when the vanes are open to relive pressure, and since the turbine of the low pressure is so big im not getting back pressure creep from the low pressure turbo.

hmmm:evil

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I work for a cat dealer here so i turn some wrenches LOL But alot of this stuff is fab work, that honestly i learned in high school welding class. I do love working on my own stuff, pretty satisfying when it works, but very frustrating when it does not

Yeah what ive found on fabrication, its really easy to make things work and no leak... its a whole another project to make it look good and fit perfectly like you visioned it in the beginning.
I dont do much welding, but ill learn how to before i let someone else build my kit

Dzchey21

Reaction score
So your seeing pretty close to 1:1 with big compounds, big fuel, and no wastegate tuning? I guess I read that right? That is awesome if that is the case!

yeah thats exactly right, im actually thinking there is no need for a wastegate at all, we will see what happens with a bigger tune and more boost, but so far it should be just fine, this goes back to what charles said about a year ago with the right size turbine in the low pressure being a key factor.

Robert, i meant to say a 63mm in max powers would probably work great. so like a 63/82 combo or whatever. Im really impressed with the 63mm and it started with erics truck

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah what ive found on fabrication, its really easy to make things work and no leak... its a whole another project to make it look good and fit perfectly like you visioned it in the beginning.
I dont do much welding, but ill learn how to before i let someone else build my kit
very cool, im all about people trying their own stuff. makes it interesting and unique

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
yeah thats exactly right, im actually thinking there is no need for a wastegate at all, we will see what happens with a bigger tune and more boost, but so far it should be just fine, this goes back to what charles said about a year ago with the right size turbine in the low pressure being a key factor.

Robert, i meant to say a 63mm in max powers would probably work great. so like a 63/82 combo or whatever. Im really impressed with the 63mm and it started with erics truck

"Talk to Chuck" comes to mind. LOL

Charles definitely knows turbo sizing. It's good to hear that theory is still holding true. It definitely will make tuning much easier!

Latest posts

Members online