Injector Cups.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
If there are no signs of a problem with them, should I change them anyway while I'm doing injectors? They aren't expensive so I'm thinking I might as well, but buying or borrowing the special tool would add a little more hassle. More curious if it is one of those things that if it is fine leave it alone, or if it's a problem waiting to happen sort of thing.

Tom S

Reaction score
For anyone looking for the tools to replace the injector cups on a 7.3 powerstroke Rosewood has nice tools and some nice kits. There was just a write up on this in Diesel Power.

I probably would not do the cups unless the motor had a lot of miles on it.

http://www.rosewooddieselshop.com/

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
For anyone looking for the tools to replace the injector cups on a 7.3 powerstroke Rosewood has nice tools and some nice kits. There was just a write up on this in Diesel Power.

I probably would not do the cups unless the motor had a lot of miles on it.

http://www.rosewooddieselshop.com/

The $250 price tag for something I'm going to use once to install the cups that cost less than half of that is what has me second guessing doing them just for the hell of it. I know someone will lend you their removal tools, I think it's Swamps, but then I have the hassle of shipping back and forth and if they are available, and I honestly don't know when I'm going to get to putting injectors in sort of thing.

Tom S

Reaction score
Jason, what are you hinting at?

Once and a while it is not a bad thing to own a few speciality tools to share among friends.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
If there not broke dont fix them... Cups dont wear out so to speak.
If any are broke, the signs should be obvious, correct? Not something that could be broke, but with minimal symptoms? Best I can tell I have no signs that would indicate a problem with them. Don't want to think I'm fine without them, but then dig in and find I need them and have to wait on them and have the truck down. For that reason I may just end up getting them and the tool and doing it just because.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I have only had one issue with cups ever in a million miles of driving these trucks... The motor I have in now, when I pulled the injectors one cup came out with the injector, I should have done them all at that point but I did one. A week later I was pulling them all.

Fuel in your coolant, then you have cup issues, otherwise I would not sweat it.

Gotti2k7

Reaction score
If you buy the cups from swamps. They will lone you the tool for a few bucks.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
We charge $50 bucks to rent our injector cup install tools even if you don't purchase the cups from us. We try to keep several sets to loan on hand at all times. Give me or Dave a shout if you need them.

JerseyJim

Reaction score
I would add one point to the above...If you pull an injector and there is carbon past the tip or if there is some other evidence that the copper crush ring has failed, at least change out that cup. It may no longer be capable of producing a good seal.

Best,
Jim

Cota

Reaction score
Is there away to pressure test the cups on a bench before installing them?

Clem1226

Reaction score

nope, an injector cup could be loosely described as a freeze plug with a hole in it for the injector.....thats the only way I can think to paint a mental image.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score

It is not the cup itself that fails(unless if physically cracks) it is the loctite seal on the cup that gives up the ghost causing the issue. The most important step when doing cups is to ensure that ALLLLLLL of the old loctite is removed, and that the new cup and the new cup bore are as clean as possible.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.