Well chit...batteries

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Went to start the truck today....click,click,click,click.....no start. Pushed it into the yard so my neighbor could give me a jump. Hooked 'em together, let it charge, started cranking, finally started. Now my abs light is on and naturally, the truck won't start again. Pretty sure batts are toast, but why is the ABS light on? When I was trying to start it and it was clicking, the guages would sweep to max, stay there for a sec, then go back.

duddy

Reaction score
alternator might not have been putting out volts high enough for the abs control module. Sometimes it takes a few times turning it on and off to clear the code.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah the truck will do all sorts of funny things with weak/dying batteries. Take them out and have them load tested. Might not hurt to have the alt load tested too.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Gonna try to get the alt out tonight after work and get it tested. The truck sat over night, I tried to start it one more time. It cranked over a few times then click..click..click. So maybe the batteries are still good? Gonna get em checked either way. They are some cheap azz oreilly's or some such. Prolly gonna throw some interstates in it.

Snake

Reaction score
Something to consider.....weak batteries impact how your FICM works. As you know, your FICM controls your injectors. Stop the snowball before it rolls too far down the hill (meaning replace your batteries ASAP before you also have to buy a FICM and injectors).

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Bad battery and or alternator.... In the same boat as we speak lol.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Something to consider.....weak batteries impact how your FICM works. As you know, your FICM controls your injectors. Stop the snowball before it rolls too far down the hill (meaning replace your batteries ASAP before you also have to buy a FICM and injectors).

Yeah, truck is sitting until I get new batteries/alternator just so I don't fry anything. Trying to borrow a multimeter/voltmeter from a friend to test a few things out.

Mdub707

Reaction score
There are only something like 3 battery manufacturers total, most batteries are the same damn thing just re-labeled. Just go with whoever you can get the highest CCA from. I got some Napa batts, 880CCA each.

RazinCain

Reaction score
Yeah, truck is sitting until I get new batteries/alternator just so I don't fry anything. Trying to borrow a multimeter/voltmeter from a friend to test a few things out.

Using a multi meter is what I was going to suggest. Just got over the same thing. My batteries died and it was showing a EGR code. Got new batteries and cleaned the EGR. Runs like a top now and no codes. For reference, my ALT tested at 13.95 at the ALT, the batteries tested at 13.65 as did all my cables. Hope this helps ya.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Had the alt and batteries tested. Batteries are good, alt is toast. Hasn't thrown any codes other than the P0006A code. Could the alt make it throw that code? Truck should be back up in about 30 mins when the wife gets home and I can go get the new one. Can't wait. I hate that damn gutless LITTLE Exploder!!!

RazinCain

Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb and say it "could" I suppose. Mine acted real funny when the batts were dead'r n hell. When you get your alt on, unhook the batts positive terminals. I leave mine unhooked for 30 mins. The turn on the headlights (Im not sure why? I read another member telling me that) and hook that cables back up. SHOULD reset the computer. If all is well it will stay off.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb and say it "could" I suppose. Mine acted real funny when the batts were dead'r n hell. When you get your alt on, unhook the batts positive terminals. I leave mine unhooked for 30 mins. The turn on the headlights (Im not sure why? I read another member telling me that) and hook that cables back up. SHOULD reset the computer. If all is well it will stay off.

Thanks man. I appreciate the info.

Redd

Reaction score
I just went through this as well... ALt took a dump and one battery dead and ABS light.... Put new alt and batteries in. ABS light went out before I got out of the neighborhood for a test drive.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Agreed. Luckily my batteries were still good. Only had to replace tha alt and give the batts a good charge. $160 vs $300+. But, ya gotta pay to play.

Members online

No members online now.