Up pipes on a 7.3 Ex

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Gonna be replacing up-pipes(most likely with bellowed ones) on my buddys 7.3 Excursion.

Ive never worked on an Excursion and was wondering how easy/hard of a job it will be. Ide like to NOT have to pull the trans. I figured I would Pull the turbo and do them from the top with the exception of going under and taking off the manifold-to-up pipes bolts. Is this the best/correct way of doing it? Just lookin for a few tips. Input is appreciated. Thanks,

Jordan.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Haha thanks. Im thinking it may be easier then others think long as the bottom bolts come off easily. If I get the turbo off and the bottom bolts out I can just take em right off from the top...im guessing...

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Haha thanks. Im thinking it may be easier then others think long as the bottom bolts come off easily. If I get the turbo off and the bottom bolts out I can just take em right off from the top...im guessing...

The easy part is getting them off... The hard part is putting the new ones on LOL

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Excursion is no differant from a truck, few more things on the top, but otherwise the same.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
if the truck is from an area with salt and snow id replace the exhaust manifolds and bolts while i was at it. if they are rotted.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
And what about putting them on is the hard?

And yeah I figured, but I havent done a truck either. Well, at least on a SD.

Well the bellowed ones are a lot easier I am sure, but the hard part about installing stock ones is tightening the bolts on the collector.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
they are pretty easy to do, we do alot of them at our shop.

I'm sure you do, and its good easy money too... but for the DIY guy in the driveway, the first manifold bolt that breaks really sucks... by the third one your ready to call a wrecker.

If there not leaking, leave them the hell alone.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
well using a socket on them is the first mistake. torch the heads of all the bolts off and melt the manifolds around the bolt holes and they come right off. the bolts usually dont freeze in the heads so a pair of vise grips or stud extractor will unscrew them easy.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
well using a socket on them is the first mistake. torch the heads of all the bolts off and melt the manifolds around the bolt holes and they come right off. the bolts usually dont freeze in the heads so a pair of vise grips or stud extractor will unscrew them easy.

:doh:

LOL...

Nothing more.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
please tell me your procedure. i bet youll find no other option when the studs are rotted into the manifolds and/or the heads of some of the bolts are already rotted/broken off.

i do this for a living, i know alot of ins and outs on these trucks that i share to help people because i know how frustrating and time consuming things can be. i was a novice at one point myself and still learn new techniques and diagnostic methods all the time. if you dont appreciate the advice offered that is fine but keep the snide comments or remarks to yourself please.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've only had to easyout 2-3 dozen broken off manifold bolts that were broken in the heads... flush.

Would be super fun with the motor in the truck in your buddys driveway... yup yup yup.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
that is why its not a good idea to put a socket on them. doing it the way i mentioned leaves about 1" of stud left on each bolt. with care and patience breaking them clean off can be avoided.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
if the truck is from an area with salt and snow id replace the exhaust manifolds and bolts while i was at it. if they are rotted.
Its in Indiana, so its a toss up on whether or not they will be froze. The manafolds are fine.
they are pretty easy to do, we do alot of them at our shop.
With the tranny still in place?
Well the bellowed ones are a lot easier I am sure, but the hard part about installing stock ones is tightening the bolts on the collector.
Im gonna try to talk him into the bellowed ones. I figure even though he wants to leave the truck stock with the exception of tunes, that the bellowed ones will be more beneficial.
I'm sure you do, and its good easy money too... but for the DIY guy in the driveway, the first manifold bolt that breaks really sucks... by the third one your ready to call a wrecker.

If there not leaking, leave them the hell alone.

They most definately are leaking. And bad.

On the subject of the manafold bolts being froze, I have read taht spraying the hell out of them with PB the night before really helps, then maybe heating them up with a torch and cranking on them. But thats only if they are froze. Which thye most likely are.

Thanks for the help guys. And CSIPSD if you would explain in your opinion the best way to do it, like you said for a DIY'er in the driveway ide appreciate it.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
They most definately are leaking. And bad. On the subject of the manafold bolts being froze, I have read taht spraying the hell out of them with PB the night before really helps, then maybe heating them up with a torch and cranking on them. But thats only if they are froze. Which thye most likely are.

Thanks for the help guys. And CSIPSD if you would explain in your opinion the best way to do it, like you said for a DIY'er in the driveway ide appreciate it.

The Manifolds are leaking or the up pipes...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.