Aftermarket boost guage

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Well I think I'm gonna get a Glowshift boost gauge for my truck. (http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tinted-7-color-35-psi-boost-gauge.aspx) I have the Glowshift fuel pressure gauge and have no complaints.
I have a couple questions about the install of the boost gauge. Where is the best place to get my reading from? The gauge comes with a tee, but would it be better to drill and tap the intake elbow? Also, I have thought about upgrading to a Powermax turbo in the future, so will a 35psi gauge be good or should I step up to the 60psi gauge now? Any advice would be appreciated

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Don't get a gauge that will peg out. The stock turbo can and will make 30psi. So get a gauge that goes higher. The 60psi should be good. If it was me I would drill and tap the intake elbow for boost. Done it on 2 trucks. It is extremely easy to do.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I'd also recomend a better quality gauge. I'd go with either autometer or isspro. I've heard that the glowshifts are not the most accurate.

Petro

Reaction score
Drill and tap the Intake, and Ive had two sets of glowshift gauges, Ive been very happy with them, excellent customer service and IMO i think they are just as good as autometer gauges. And definently go with the 60 psi gauge.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I kinda figured the 60psi gauge would be a better choice. The drill and tap of the intake elbow should be as easy or even easier than the exhaust manifold so I'm not too worried about that. I do like the glowshift gauges because they are about a third the price of Autometer or Isspro, plus the new gauge will match my fuel pressure gauge if I go glowshift. My next question is where to mount the gauge itself. I used the open spot on the dash just to the right and below the steering wheel for my FP guage, but I want the boost somewhere easier to monitor. I don't want to lose my grab handle so that pretty much kills the idea of a pillar mount. I like the column mount pods but I can't find a single column mount for my truck (automatic). I guess its custom gauge pod time.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
They make mounts that mount to the top of the windsheild like above the rearview

jdc753

Reaction score
Overhead pod by Autometer (I bought my from KT Performance) I believe they have 3 gauge pods as well. Easy to install and nice visibility while being up and out of the way. Still have use of that grab handle too for those people who actually use it.

DSC02657.jpg

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I like that pod jdc753. I like it a lot better than the A- pillar pods. I'm 6'3", but have cracked verts in my back twice, so I do use the grab handle from time to time and don't wanna lose it. I'm only doin' one gauge right now so they fon't make anything for me, but i'll bet I can build a pod like that. The placement would be ideal.

jdc753

Reaction score
cracked verts don't sound too fun at all, I've only had 1 herniated disc so far and I know it wasn't fun at all. I generally use the steering wheel though to climb in, just felt natural so I never bothered with the handle.

Sounds like the column mount would be perfect for you. I am thinking the trouble you are having finding one is that they are all labeled for 99-04 trucks and not for the 05-07 trucks but they do fit the newer trucks. I'd have to dig up the old thread but I know there are a few guys with 05+ trucks that have the column mount, I know 06powerstroke has the column mount in his 06.

Snake

Reaction score
Mine came from Biofuels Technologies (BFT) when I bought my Vegistroke kit. I'll see if I can get some more info on it, but it may simply be the one for a 99-04. That being said, it fits perfect and has been riding shotgun for almost 3 years now.

chappy

Reaction score
I'd also recomend a better quality gauge. I'd go with either autometer or isspro. I've heard that the glowshifts are not the most accurate.

You have heard wrong. Unless you have ran them then you have no argument. I have had lots of problems over the years with autometer gauges so Are you going to repeat that to everyone as well. :doh:

To the op tap the intake elbow as said and get the 60. I ran that one in my 99.

Latest posts

Members online