Removing slop from steering gearbox

edge186

Reaction score
I wrecked my 01 a few months back and ever since my steering feels really sloppy. I've checked the steering column and there doesn't appear to be any play there. I figure my next step is to check the gearbox but not really sure how go about making any adjustment. Any tips?

Zmann

Reaction score
the different years vary a bit

I take an allen wrench and a long peice of steel round stock .. drill a hole in the roundstock ,nsert the allen smack roundstock wth a hammer to lock the allen in there

this gives you a nice long reach and will save some skin ,, then you will either have 1 or two retaining nuts on the top of the box ,, loosen both turning the wrench cc as looking down from the top ,
now with those loose you take the allen and tighten the screw clockwise as looking down on it ,, the trick is you also need to hold the last nut you lossened otherwise it will lock everything up again

you may want to jack a 2x4 in the inner fender well and also wear gloves ?

tighten that center adjuster and keep rocking the steering shaft back and forth till the play is minimized ,, you must test drive and tighten .. this makes sure you don't overtighten and bind it all up ,, it still needs to return to center when you let of the wheel moving forward ,, when test driving just tighten the bottom nut if you have 2

edge186

Reaction score
I think I got it figured out. I tightened it 1/2 turn at a time then drove it to test it. Ended up turning it a total of 1 1/2 turns. This seems like a lot to me... It still returns to center when I let off the wheel though.

Zmann

Reaction score
mine was 3 full turns when I bought the truck drove it a month before I tried it LOL been fine ever since

Zmann

Reaction score
U can pull the air filter on the 6.0's for access also but I think my way is better

edge186

Reaction score
So.... I tightened up the screw on the gearbox back when I started this thread and its been great but it's starting to get sloppy again. Is it possible the gearbox is going out? If so what are good options for replacement?

Zmann

Reaction score
Ford sells a reman /I live in AZ and we have Bench works /Redhead is another choice

all require a core I think Redhead will ship first and Ford will refund your core when done

not sure about anyone else ..

make sure your slop is in the box and if so go a little more on adjustments ,,