OBS 1.15 turbine vs SD Van 1.15 housing.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a Super 66 (SD van turbine wheel with the 38r compressor wheel) and PM BDP Sales about it. He says the OBS turbine wheel is the same as the SD van turbine wheel. I believe the SD van turbine wheel is the largest turbine wheel on the 7.3's. Who's right?

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Well he is correct the OBS turbine wheel is the same as the OBS turbine wheel. LOL Little typo there bud.

But to the question you are meaning to ask.... I do believe all the 38 series turbine wheels are all the same size. This is the normal way Garrett sizes things. If you go look at their various series of turbos they all have the same turbine wheel specs only the comp wheel size changes. Now I know I have seen it posted that the Van turbine housing fits EVER so slightly different on the 38R than the one specifically meant for the 38R but the wheel sizes are the same size or so close it would not matter.

Now I can not say they are the same wheel as I have not measured and compared all the wheels side by side. But given the amount of work BDP has been messing with the various 38 series turbos I would think they would have and would know.

neverkickn

Reaction score
The obs turbine shaft assembly is the same as the van shaft assembly. You need a van turbine housing and a van/obs turbine wheel assembly. You may as well just buy a van charger and mod it. All you would have to do is machine the backplate and the compressor shroud and get the new compressor wheel.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Fixed it. :pointlaugh:

I got a bid on a van turbo, (maybe) I'll find out for sure.

TARM

Reaction score
So the shafts are different.

NK,

Are the wheels themselves the same?

neverkickn

Reaction score
No the shafts are the same length, profile, diameter across the board. The turbine on the van and obs chargers are the same size and the sd charger turbine is a bit smaller.

TARM

Reaction score
I am surprised they did that. Went to a comp wheel that moved more air and then lowered the turbine wheel. I guess they were going for spool up and low end.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Yall may be right.

OBS turbine wheel is about the same fit in both OBS and SD van 1.15 housing

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Had a different impression. Think I will keep the OBS turbine housing and sell the SD one.