2WD manual to 4WD Auto

spb_2006

Reaction score
Ive got a 2000 F250 that i bought as a 2wd but quickly found out that was a bad idea. After getting stuck on anything other than concrete, including wet grass, I started tinkering with the idea of converting in to 4wd. Ive upgraded injectors to 238/100s and dropped in a 38R and now my manual tranny just isnt able to shift as fast as id like.

Here is the truck right after I bought it...
OriginalF250-1.png

OrginalF250II-1.jpg

Then I did a couple minor upgrades, got rid of the goofy mud flaps, tool box, added a chip and some exhaust.

IntermediateF250.jpg

IntermediateF250III-1.jpg

IntermediateF250II.jpg

Then the big changes came. I found an axle off of a 2001 4x4 that had rolled and decided to go ahead and replace all the suspension, front and back with a 4 inch lift :)

photo30-1.jpg

photo29.jpg

photo25.jpg

photo26.jpg

photo28.jpg

photo28.jpg

Then came the fun!

photo22.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo20.jpg

photo18.jpg

photo19.jpg

photo17.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo15.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo12.jpg

As with any project there were some unexpected bumps along the way...4 Wheel Parts (WHO I DO NOT RECOMMEND) gave me the wrong pitman arm for my gear box and we didn't realize it til i was 10 miles away trying to get an alignment done and it stripped out the pitman arm AND my gear box! I ended up eating the cost on both of those!!! They didn't offer another one or any type of compensation for my $120 tow bill either!!! 4 WHEEL PARTS=:badidea:

photo11.jpg

photo6-3.jpg

Got her all fixed up and then the finishing touches...

photo8.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

Went from

OriginalF250.png

to

photo10.jpg
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now Ive just got to get my built 4x4 tranny and then come more motor mods :rockon:

spb_2006

Reaction score
Can someone with photo shop ability add some flat black stacks instead of chrome? Im been thinking about doing it but dont want to do too much black...

spb_2006

Reaction score
Thanks man. It wasnt to bad, as long as you have the right tools. The air compressor we had was too small for what we were doing so that made it a little bit harder than expected but overall not to bad. As far as the transfer case, I am planning on buying a mildly built transmission and switching over from a manual to auto and 2wd to 4wd. Once I get the tranny it will just bolt right up.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Great job! I did the same thing with my dually, without the lift. Bought it as a 2wd, now its 4x4. I'm also still waiting on a tranny with the ability to bolt up a t case, so unfortunatley I still don't have 4x4.

spb_2006

Reaction score
At this point yes. I have just replaced all the suspension, front and back, and put the solid axle up front getting ready for the new tranny...

spb_2006

Reaction score
Thanks. It looks much better lowered. I originally had them welded in and the guy did a terrible job. He was trying to get the stacks in the mouth of the Y and started beating it on the ground which made it not circular anymore. So that was as far as they would go in. I got tired of the look so i ground off all the welds and did the best I could to make the mouth of the Y circular again and set them in a little bit further. I was thinking about powder coating them flat black which is why I didnt weld them back on but I dont know if that would be too much black...

spb_2006

Reaction score
I havent had to do anything with the cross member yet. Im not 100% if it will be an issue or not. I think Ill be alright with clearance but I wont really know until I bolt up the transfer case. Ill have to take it off for that obviously but well just have to see from there...Is there anybody that has done this that knows whether or not it will be an issue or if I will have to trim some?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I havent had to do anything with the cross member yet. Im not 100% if it will be an issue or not. I think Ill be alright with clearance but I wont really know until I bolt up the transfer case. Ill have to take it off for that obviously but well just have to see from there...Is there anybody that has done this that knows whether or not it will be an issue or if I will have to trim some?

I've done the same thing you did, the cross memebers are the same. 2x4 and 4x4 frames are the same. If someone wanted to make their 4x4 truck a 2x4 truck they have the holes in the engine cross memeber to bolt up the front suspention, or "Ibeams".

spb_2006

Reaction score
Its going to be for sale if I can ever get my automatic...Ideally I could sell it first then use that money on the new auto and then send the manual with whoever bought it but haven't come across that opportunity yet. Ive got a 550hp south bend clutch in it that I really like and has handle the setup Ive got really well just wanting an auto now...

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Its going to be for sale if I can ever get my automatic...Ideally I could sell it first then use that money on the new auto and then send the manual with whoever bought it but haven't come across that opportunity yet. Ive got a 550hp south bend clutch in it that I really like and has handle the setup Ive got really well just wanting an auto now...

guessing its your only means of transportation? If not I would offer to have a shop between us swap my stock auto + t-case for your spd + south bend and everything. Heck if you were just gonna use it as a core on a BTS we might be able to do it at Brian's shop. dunno. I think fully functioning auto's give a greater core than blow auto's.

spb_2006

Reaction score
Yea probably. It is my DD which is what makes it so hard. Do you have any kind of upgrades done to it? Where are you located?

spb_2006

Reaction score
Yea, thats my problem. Im only making 451hp but I dont think a stock tranny would like me for very long...I can pick up a new stock transmission for a decent price but I think I need a little more than stock :/ I don't really want to drop the 4K for a BTS at this point but I know for sure I would need an upgraded TC which is about the same price as transmission...

Latest posts

Members online