PMR goes boom! I have questions! :)

Black 02

Reaction score
Damn it!

Yesterday coming home from Seattle, just cruising along at 65 mph, my PMR's decided to take a peek into the outside world.

Everyone told me it probably would happen, and it finally did. I'm pissed, but I can't blame anyone but myself.

So, I'm at a delima. The truck is listed in the sig. It has 140k on the clock, lifted, tinted windows, alarm, lockers, stereo, dvd player, matching canopy..... all the goodies. Do I fix the motor with a wrecking yard motor and put all my engine goodies on it? Do I rebuild a core motor? Sell the truck as it sits?

I just don't know. Don't really have the $$$ to build a new engine and don't want to really sell my baby. I love driving this thing and it's set up how I want it.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Anywhere in the Portland area that is a good diesel rebuilder? Anyone have a used running engine to sell or a good core motor?

I heard people say rebuild it myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but never rebuilt a diesel. Don't want to spend the $$ to have it blow up in 5k miles.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ryan

Layson

Reaction score
I think you can get a rebuilt one from Ford for not bad of a price. Clay at Riffraff sold them for like 5k? I can't remember. Not too bad. I would check his site. I think he is a sponsor now.

But for 2,500, 3,500 you can get one at a scrap yard. You could have it swapped in a weekend!

ken6881

Reaction score
Sucks to hear. I would try to find a motor and put in it if you really like the truck.
I have a complete forged rod motor sitting in my garage if you were closer.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
If you hunt around for a forged rod motor you can find them sometimes cheap. I bought one out of a '95 with 100k complete with turbo for $400. Just swap everything over and call it a day.

Black 02

Reaction score
That blows.
What size nozzles do you have. How old are your tunes

I had Full Force 160cc/100% Stage 2's.

I was running DP's tunes and they were about a year old I think. I called Jody before the S468/T-500 add on and he said the tunes I had would be fine (no modification req'd).

I don't blame anyone but myself. I knew the risks playing with those stupid PMR's. God they are a stupid design.

Black 02

Reaction score
I think you can get a rebuilt one from Ford for not bad of a price. Clay at Riffraff sold them for like 5k? I can't remember. Not too bad. I would check his site. I think he is a sponsor now.

But for 2,500, 3,500 you can get one at a scrap yard. You could have it swapped in a weekend!

Yeah, I had a long talk with Clay. He told me to buy a core and rebuild it myself.

Jason

Reaction score
Oh alright. Just curious, I knew a kid in the Vancouver Wa. who had a cclb, who's dad had a company. Oh well...id find a a cheap forged rod motor with good compression, and rock and roll.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Oh alright. Just curious, I knew a kid in the Vancouver Wa. who had a cclb, who's dad had a company. Oh well...id find a a cheap forged rod motor with good compression, and rock and roll.

I'd go this route also. I just found a complete motor out of a 97. Needs an oil pan but is complete with turbo for 500 Obo. Too bad it's the wrong side of the Country for you.

Deals are out there.

moose99psd

Reaction score
and this is why when i build my motor i will opt for a stage 1 cam from matt. lowers bottom end torque but reduces the risk of blowing a motor. the main issue is CP's at lower rpms.

Layson

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a long talk with Clay. He told me to buy a core and rebuild it myself.

Yeah I wouldn't do that! Seems like I see more guys mess that up and they supposedly know what they are doing. I would be more apt to just pick up one from a junkyard or craiglist. Swap it out over the weekend and run it!!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't do that! Seems like I see more guys mess that up and they supposedly know what they are doing. I would be more apt to just pick up one from a junkyard or craiglist. Swap it out over the weekend and run it!!

Ding Ding Ding...

This $800 CL motor has been in my truck for almost 60k now... I'm in it for $400 after I sold all the crap I didnt need.

Latest posts

Members online