Blue smoke when taking off from a start

dieselpup

Reaction score
I have an '05 f350 that I just recently bought. It never smoked whenever I test drove it or after I bought it until last weekend I changed the oil for the first time. I used rotella t 15w-40 and a Fram oil filter. I drove it 10 miles to pick up a load that was about 1600 lbs and noticed as I was pulling away from a complete stop, my truck was blowing a big blue cloud out the exhaust. It only blows blue smoke when taking off from a stop through the first three gears. Talked to a friend and he said it could be coolant going through the engine. The truck runs fine when idling or cruising down the road. I have noticed the antifreeze has been dropped since i changed the oil.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
I have an '05 f350 that I just recently bought. It never smoked whenever I test drove it or after I bought it until last weekend I changed the oil for the first time. I used rotella t 15w-40 and a Fram oil filter. I drove it 10 miles to pick up a load that was about 1600 lbs and noticed as I was pulling away from a complete stop, my truck was blowing a big blue cloud out the exhaust. It only blows blue smoke when taking off from a stop through the first three gears. Talked to a friend and he said it could be coolant going through the engine. The truck runs fine when idling or cruising down the road. I have noticed the antifreeze has been dropped since i changed the oil.

ok for starters on a 6.0 you never use any other oil filter but Motorcraft Filters. So next time or even now you really need to remove the fram filter and go back with the motorcraft one. Same with the fuel filters only use the motorcraft ones

now if your coolant level is lower than it was when you bought it and its blowing white to blueish smoke out the exhaust, you have one of the 3 or all 3 issues

The oilcooler has clogged and has caused the EGR To fail. once the egr system fails it can and will cause the head gaskets to blow. I would get it to a shop ASAP cause once the head gaskets go its a $2500 fix for just the headgaskets, if you have to replace the oilcooler and the egr system its more.

i would suggest doing a set of head studs and a egr delete. Do the delete anyway cause the egr system is gone. But if it needs headgaskets do a set of ARP studs when they put the heads back on.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The Fram is the same as the motorcraft in this case, he's fine with that. Though I did read recently that the motorcraft filters have been updated again and aren't the same as the Frams?

Either way, I wouldn't worry about changing that Fram out right away, you should be fine with that.

When my truck did blue smoke from a stop sign, it was an injector that needed replacement. Different tunes actually made it go away, it only seemed to do it in stock tuning.

dieselpup

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I've only really noticed the blue smoke after the first fire of the day and taking off from a complete dead stop with 1500 rpm's or around there. It's especially bad when pulling up a hill from the dead stop. Truck is going into shop next week, I had a tech check the ficm and oil pressure and all checked out as being good. But that is only after truck has been running for a long time. I plan on changing oil filter back to motorcraft.

jbkingranch

Reaction score
The Fram is the same as the motorcraft in this case, he's fine with that. Though I did read recently that the motorcraft filters have been updated again and aren't the same as the Frams?

Either way, I wouldn't worry about changing that Fram out right away, you should be fine with that.

When my truck did blue smoke from a stop sign, it was an injector that needed replacement. Different tunes actually made it go away, it only seemed to do it in stock tuning.

I started running the Fram filter after doing a side by side comparison. Same filter down to the pattens and numbers top and bottom.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I started running the Fram filter after doing a side by side comparison. Same filter down to the pattens and numbers top and bottom.

you beat me to this Jesse..

I have run them in the past too, however I just heard recently (within the last 2 weeks) that the Ford filters have been updated and changed slightly. I'm trying to find more info on it.

dieselpup

Reaction score
Was just called by the garage saying the problem was the FICM acting up and not working properly all the time. The garage also said two of the injectors were not working properly and the new FICM should correct that. Should I be looking at changing all the injectors as well? The truck has 172,000 miles on it.

Latest posts

Members online