Swapping a 6.0l powerstroke for a 7.3l powerstroke

truckshopkustoms

Reaction score
Hey guys, we have a customer that has a 2003 ford f250 4x4 with a 6.0l, and wants to take it out to install a 7.3l in the truck. The ? would be what will he need to get to do the swap ? Thank you for your time.

Arisley

Reaction score
Moved to the proper forum.

I would think you would start with a motor and tranny, PCM, IDM, and all the harnesses.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
That seems like a huge pain in the ass for no gain...

I would prefer the 6.0, and with the money spent swapping a good motor for a dinosaur you could fix all the weak links in the 6.0...

co04cobra

Reaction score
I just replied last night in this thread http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28569 about it.

Problem with the 6.0 is the stigma that goes with it. I am not scared of the 6.0s. I know they can be made to be a great engine. BUT convincing my customers of that, instead of listening to every other Tom, Dick, and Harry's horror story about one, is a different issue.

I am actually considering to start to advertise the swap locally. The other part is nobody wants to hear "you need to spend 5K+ on this truck to make it reliable" Also, "bulletproofed" 6.0s still DO fail sometimes. So you get that guy that just dropped 5K+ on having it done a year ago, and hes not going back with a 6.0 NO MATTER WHAT you offer him. Usually at this point hes to upside down in the truck to sell or trade it.

Back to OP easiest answer. Donor truck. SWAP EVERYTHING all wiring, etc... etc.. Just about everything is still there to bolt all of the 7.3 stuff up. Last one I did I left the complete 05 dash and made a harness to go from the old style radio plug to the 05 radio.

A few other wiring changes depend on years. If using an 01 back wiring harness you need to splice a small piece of the firewall in where the PCM and connectors go through. 02-03 7.3 harness go right through any 02-07 cab the same way. If leaving newer style dash, with a 01 back harness you need to splice a pigtail on for the new headlight switch.

Last one I did was an 06 truck and I left all the new suspension, but had to have one hose made up from the steering box to hydroboost. I took several pictures of these swaps, but I really suck at adding pics on here. Maybe If I email them to someone else they can post and Ill do a play by play. Hope that helps.

Its not a real hard swap just a little time consuming.

Gummybear

Reaction score
I was curious about two options;
1) swap a 7.3 into a 2005+ F450 chassis or
2) swap a 2005+ F450 front end into a 2003 F350.
which route makes more sense. I do not know if the chassis changes would allow the newer axle to direct bolt into the older style or if swapping a 7.3 into a complete new chassis would be a smarter move.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
First off, welcome to PSA. Also. Nice thread bump. 9 year bump..

If you were to swap the front axle out, you would want to do the rear axle as well. The bolt pattern and bolt count for the rims is different. 8 lug vs 10 lug.

Also, if the f450 is a cab and chassis pickup the mounts on the axle might be different. I keep thinking the frame on a cab/chassis is not the same width as a normal pickup.

Gummybear

Reaction score
First off, welcome to PSA. Also. Nice thread bump. 9 year bump..

If you were to swap the front axle out, you would want to do the rear axle as well. The bolt pattern and bolt count for the rims is different. 8 lug vs 10 lug.

Also, if the f450 is a cab and chassis pickup the mounts on the axle might be different. I keep thinking the frame on a cab/chassis is not the same width as a normal pickup.
good point on the bolt pattern. And you are correct that the C&C frame converts to a. industry standard width compared to the pickup chassis. I also know the suspension from the two eras changed considerably, but the C&C can be had from both versions so I was hoping the width would mach. But I do now know enough to know if the frame rail shape is similar enough to drill a few holes and bolt it all together. From my standpoint, I tend to think that swapping new axles into an older chassis already equiped with the 7.3 would be cheaper and quicker. But, that's why I wanted to ask, in case someone has deeper knowledge of the frames. My aim that that I want the high angle steer axle in my truck. I do not care abotu the box, I will be sourcing my own anyhow. PLus I will be eliminated the duals either way.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
The C&C pickups frame is 34" wide. A normal pickup frame is around 38" wide. So it would be more than just drilling some holes to make it work.

When you say high angle axle, are you meaning the "wide boy" aka the quicker turning radius axle? If so. You can get that axle from a normal F450 as well. Also if you find the right f350 (I think 11-14 model years could be had with them. And maybe even the 08-10 model years, dont quote me on that though, the f350 version were 8 lug. Not sure on spacing though.) you can get it from that as well.

Strokersace

Reaction score
The front of the frames are the exact same width for c&c and pickups. The front frames are interchangeable at the “joint” in the frame under the floor board area (might even be forward of that). The frame narrows under the back of the cab or immediately after to the standard 34” width. If you had a c&c rear axle to match the one you’re installing in the front, it should bolt up to the rear. You may need an adapter for brake line or something, possibly a different driveshaft yoke, but nothing major.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
The front of the frames are the exact same width for c&c and pickups. The front frames are interchangeable at the “joint” in the frame under the floor board area (might even be forward of that). The frame narrows under the back of the cab or immediately after to the standard 34” width. If you had a c&c rear axle to match the one you’re installing in the front, it should bolt up to the rear. You may need an adapter for brake line or something, possibly a different driveshaft yoke, but nothing major.
Good to know about the front ends being the same width. I was not aware of that. But it makes perfect sense. Learn something new every day.

So your saying a C&C rear axle will bolt up right up in place of a standard axle. 34" wide frame vs 38" wide frame? I do not see that happening.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Good to know about the front ends being the same width. I was not aware of that. But it makes perfect sense. Learn something new every day.

So your saying a C&C rear axle will bolt up right up in place of a standard axle. 34" wide frame vs 38" wide frame? I do not see that happening.

No I wasn’t saying that about the rear. You can put a c&c axle under a standard pickup but I believe that requires re-welding the spring perches.

What I was referring to is a swap between 2 c&c trucks. Spring perches should line up perfectly.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
No I wasn’t saying that about the rear. You can put a c&c axle under a standard pickup but I believe that requires re-welding the spring perches.

What I was referring to is a swap between 2 c&c trucks. Spring perches should line up perfectly.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Yes, you are right. The spring perches would need to be moved and rewelded on the axle.

Dmueller

Reaction score
So, I've been looking and looking for a 99-03 7.3 SCREW cab to replace my rusted out one on my 01. After reading a lot of different things all over the interwebs, I'm a little confused. My thinking right now is that I could definitely use the 07 cab that I found, along with the 07 dash so long as I use all of the witing harnesses from the 01, but I will have to swap the plug for the headlight switch. Otherwise, everything should bolt up and transfer easily. Is my thinking on track or have I missed something?
Thanks for any input

Powerstroke93Bronco

Reaction score
No. Way to much labor to get the harness and everything else to play.
I have a similar question, but i only need to mount the engine and trans in the chassis . I am putting a 1972 F350 cab on chassis and wiring harness and gauges will be all custom. 2001 e450 7.3/4r100 powerplant . 05+ F350 4x4 CCSB chassis and axles. have heard mention of 6.4 frame being different. *engine in pics was just too big*
DSC03840.JPG
DSC03841.JPG
DSC03842.JPG

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I have a similar question, but i only need to mount the engine and trans in the chassis . I am putting a 1972 F350 cab on chassis and wiring harness and gauges will be all custom. 2001 e450 7.3/4r100 powerplant . 05+ F350 4x4 CCSB chassis and axles. have heard mention of 6.4 frame being different. *engine in pics was just too big*View attachment 187150View attachment 187151View attachment 187152

I would like to see a full write up on this when it happens. Trying to figure out how to repower a 1970 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 for myself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.