My DIY fuel pump and filter set up.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I know this probably isn't for everyone but it is for me. I am fed up with fords expensive filter and sub par water separation. I replaced the factory set up with my own. I used a 7.3 super duty electric pump, two napa 4770 filter bases, napa 3405 water separator, napa 3528 two micron final filter. I used high pressure push lock hose and fittings. The system quick couples to the factory hoses where the oem filter/pump assembly was. The area in the pictures is covered in diesel because I spilled fuel while I was bleeding the air out of the filters and it is too damn cold to go to the car wash.
ymehugu2.jpg
a8a3evah.jpg
saqysy2e.jpg

Dzlnut

Reaction score
The filters used are wix. The napa part numbers are what I found during research.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Thanks!! I should mention that the pump sucks through the water separator and then pushes fuel through the 2 micron.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Simple...

What did it end up costing you if you don't mind me asking? How's fuel pressure holding up?

white07psd

Reaction score
Not questioning your work but curious the reasoning on not putting the pump in front of both filters and do you know how many gph the pump will put out?

sent from the stool.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I m not sure the pump would pull fuel through both filters. I'm not sure how much the stock 7.3 pump flows, enough to support 7.3s that are well above my power level.

white07psd

Reaction score
What are you running powerwise? Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it? I rather do a diy setup to save money.

sent from the stool.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Just a innovative tow tune. The pressure is the same as the oem pump. I have the blue spring as well.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Yes still running the filter up top,I'm not sure what to with it. I have heard others have left the filter and stand pipe out.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I bought all the parts over a extended time frame so I'm thinking I got about 200.00 in this set up. The pump I got when I bought a zf-6 speed that I put in my old OBS, so I have no cost in it. I plan to do more fuel pressure testing on it for you guys but the 7.3 uses the same pressure as the 6.0 and the regulator is on the engine. There is no reason this pump will not do the same or more than the 6.0 pump.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Just a update I got extra filters at napa filter sale and both filters were less than 20.00. That is a big bonus

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Update on fuel psi 62 at idle and or with the key on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bboteler

Reaction score
Did this take away the ability for the water in fuel light to work as it should? Or is that detected somewere else than the pump?