replacing ipr, quick question

strokefreak

Reaction score
finally got a new ipr and cps today from stealership. going to try and replace both in the morning. but i have a question first as ive neveer done it.
the previous owner stripped the little plug on top of the hpop and im not even going to attempt to get it out. can i pull the sensor on top and suck the oil out from there before removing the ipr? if so,anything in particular to be aware of? thanks guys.

strokefreak

Reaction score
yes sir that what i mean. i tried that and it just slipped. didnt wanna tear anything up so i figured id try the sensor side. thanks for the reply.

JCart

Reaction score
Hey no worries that is a pain for sure but sensor side will work too. When you pull out the IPR stuff a rag under the HPOP and IPR hole you're gonna get a little spillage anyways. And pulling most of it out the sensor hole is probably the cleanest too and good to fill up as well once done.

Sears have these.

Ignore the stud thats an exhaust manifold bolt from driver's side so in time you'll need the removal sockets anyways....hahaha

They are excellent for removing studs and rounded bolt heads, there might be just enough of the plug stickin up to allow you to pound on (just undersize) one of these socket deellies (sorry can never remember what the name is...) to get the plug out. 'course then you'll have em for other removal jobs too.

jrc

JCart

Reaction score
finally got a new ipr and cps today from stealership. going to try and replace both in the morning. but i have a question first as ive neveer done it.
the previous owner stripped the little plug on top of the hpop and im not even going to attempt to get it out. can i pull the sensor on top and suck the oil out from there before removing the ipr? if so,anything in particular to be aware of? thanks guys.

You do know that you can buy a rebuild kit for the IPR right? Just replaces the square cut and o-rings, new tin nut and spacer. If you go that route get one (kit) from your local international dealership. Get this....here in BC Canada Dealership wanted $120.00 for the 15 cents worth of parts and at IH it was $25.00. The actual IPR....yeeesh both places want a child...and just not willing to give one up...that day anyways...heh heh...

When you go to replace the CPS it might be pretty snug use a 6 point socket iirc it's a 10mm bolt head? You do not want to round the head on that bolt. Also on install of CPS make sure you don't cross thread the bolt as the front engine cover is aluminum and VERY easy to strip.....and if you do strip it....well just don't do it...was down that path.....fauwk...can you say pull off the front of the truck, grille, bumper, AC condenser, rad, fan...uugh.. to get a heli-coil in there...major pain in the ARSE....just be careful and deliberate and you'll be GtoG.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
You can generally find IPRs for sale on EBay much cheaper than at the dealer. Just make sure you check the shipping fees as they vary quite a bit.

Denver

Reaction score
If you already have a new IPR then pull the old one out and put the new one in. You'll get a little bit of oil spillage. Maybe half a paper towel at most. The big thing while your in there is replace the fuel lines. Your ganna have to pull the fuel bowl and the fuel lines will probably crack. Since your going that far might as well replace the lift pump unless your looking at E-fuel in the future. The CPS is simple. Just make sure the surrounding area is clean and you don't pinch the oring.

strokefreak

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. i almost went the rebuilt way...but figured hell this ones 15 years old so just a new one and hope it lasts as long. besides im in an rv park and cant really work on the truck here. ill try to do them in the morn if the winds are right and we dont lift. thanks again!

Tom S

Reaction score
I have a few extra IPR O-ring kits if you need one.

I just got rid of that pain in the ass allen head plug on mine. It now has a hex head plug from the Hydraulic Shop.

strokefreak

Reaction score
^ thats a good idea. think after i drain it ill pull cover and do the same. Thanks but im thinkikng ive got it all covered there sir.:bowfast:

Talyn

Reaction score
Cold chisel and a bit of brains and you can spin that plug out and put in a good one.

strokefreak

Reaction score
i thought of that,but with my luck i decided otherwise. im gonna oreder srp1 next week so i mite just wait till then to do anything with it.

Latest posts

Members online