Centramatics + 75,000 miles = garbage...

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of info here, and trying new things, so as to cure the crappy ride in my 450. I went to a highway tire on the front wheel, thinking, that I am not really going off roading in the duallie anyhow, and should be a much better ride.... nope..... sunovabitch....... more money spent, with no results...

I took off the front Centramatics, and BAM..... Rides like a Caddy again... Even jamming up to 120 mph, no more god aweful vibration. Still need to sort out the back end, however,..... I still have the centramatics on back there, so, I think I'll be removing them this week....

The front pieces have ZERO oil in them. They sound like a set of Maracas.... Just a bunch of steel bearings, in a metal tube....

Anyone else use these things, and notice that their ride is getting worse?

RedRice589

Reaction score
Lift it with 22.5s on it lol might help the running gear ratio! Or like Tbsimmons said return them sounds like a manufacturer flaw....

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Mine have been great. I would call them and get them replaced.
I have drive tires in the front also.
Yeah, I remember you talking about them, so I ordered a set, and there was an instant improvement. But the oil is all gone, and there is now only ball bearings rolling around a hula hoop.... Sucks. Ill call centramatics this week, and see if they will do anything. It has been over a year now...
Lift it with 22.5s on it lol might help the running gear ratio! Or like Tbsimmons said return them sounds like a manufacturer flaw....

LOL I am actually lowering mine this summer.... 22.5s would be cool, but they def wont fit when she sits down an inch or two...

Zmann

Reaction score
How long do they last?
We have balancers with 1,439,716 miles on them and still in good working condition. That's why we have a Five-Year Unlimited Mile Warranty and offer unequaled service.
Good luck Bro !!

Aaron S

Reaction score
Mine seem the same way. Some of the vibration went away after removing them as well as the fact that they sound like they have no oil in them. I kinda wondered if that was the gear oil smell occationally when the brakes were hot. I also never turned in the warranty card, so I never tried for warranty. Mine might have had 30,000 miles on them.

OBS F350

Reaction score
We have had a few drivers put them on their steers to help the tires wear. They seemed to work great with a 425/65R22.5 steer tire lol! But from what I've seen a good balanced tire and you won't ever need a centramatic.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Ahhh still cool man it'll be a BAMF down a cpl inches!
Yeah, I don't really expect to go mud bogging in the 10 K Duallie, so, lower should see a bit better fuel mileage, AND it will be easier for me to get in and out of... She is pretty sick though... LOL
Mine seem the same way. Some of the vibration went away after removing them as well as the fact that they sound like they have no oil in them. I kinda wondered if that was the gear oil smell occationally when the brakes were hot. I also never turned in the warranty card, so I never tried for warranty. Mine might have had 30,000 miles on them.
Yeah, I had a few grease spots as well... Figured that was some other thing that I had broke... LOL I never sent in the card either, so I might be S O L .....
We have had a few drivers put them on their steers to help the tires wear. They seemed to work great with a 425/65R22.5 steer tire lol! But from what I've seen a good balanced tire and you won't ever need a centramatic.
I am leaning that way. I am going to take the ones of fof the back, and see if that settles her down any more. If so, I will just take them off every so often and spin them on the machine...

RedRice589

Reaction score
Crazy i loved the 3.55's in my 2wd Bit@h would MOVE thow some 3.31's on it. I smell land speed record.... interested to hear what other guys say on the centramatics!

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Crazy i loved the 3.55's in my 2wd Bit@h would MOVE thow some 3.31's on it. I smell land speed record.... interested to hear what other guys say on the centramatics!

I am going to put 3.73s on my big rig. Those are the lowest # gears they sell for the Dana 110 gear set. Should drop me down enough rpm to get some serious mileage, since the GV Overdrive isnt going to work...

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
equal makes balancing beads, not just the powder.

the beads are specifically for use in the tires with the pressure sensor. they don't plug the sensor hole like the powder, thus tripping a wrench light.

i won't let my tire guys put weights on the outside of the rim. i have them put them on the inside only, balance it as close as they can, then we put equal beads inside.

been running this way for about 11 months now, no issues. made a difference in the feel of the tires to.

i had checked on the centramatics myself, but having talked to a few truckers that i know, they have never gotten more than about 35-40k out of a set, before they leak. and usually when that happens, they get a out-of-service citation for a wheel seal, when it's the centramatics. cops only know you have oil around your rims that's not supposed to be there.

they only run equal now.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
equal makes balancing beads, not just the powder.

the beads are specifically for use in the tires with the pressure sensor. they don't plug the sensor hole like the powder, thus tripping a wrench light.

i won't let my tire guys put weights on the outside of the rim. i have them put them on the inside only, balance it as close as they can, then we put equal beads inside.

been running this way for about 11 months now, no issues. made a difference in the feel of the tires to.

i had checked on the centramatics myself, but having talked to a few truckers that i know, they have never gotten more than about 35-40k out of a set, before they leak. and usually when that happens, they get a out-of-service citation for a wheel seal, when it's the centramatics. cops only know you have oil around your rims that's not supposed to be there.

they only run equal now.

Noted. I will def look into it. Thanks a ton man.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of info here, and trying new things, so as to cure the crappy ride in my 450. I went to a highway tire on the front wheel, thinking, that I am not really going off roading in the duallie anyhow, and should be a much better ride.... nope..... sunovabitch....... more money spent, with no results...

I took off the front Centramatics, and BAM..... Rides like a Caddy again... Even jamming up to 120 mph, no more god aweful vibration. Still need to sort out the back end, however,..... I still have the centramatics on back there, so, I think I'll be removing them this week....

The front pieces have ZERO oil in them. They sound like a set of Maracas.... Just a bunch of steel bearings, in a metal tube....

Anyone else use these things, and notice that their ride is getting worse?

Never tried the centramatics but when I installed my Toyo MT's, i put balance beads in all 5 tires. The truck drives great I would not have an issue using them again. Slow or fast I'm happy with them at the moment.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I am going to put 3.73s on my big rig. Those are the lowest # gears they sell for the Dana 110 gear set. Should drop me down enough rpm to get some serious mileage, since the GV Overdrive isnt going to work...

Definitely! I have the 3.73's on this new truck of mine Pulls our 6 horse loaded a hell of a lot better than my 3.55's.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Definitely! I have the 3.73's on this new truck of mine Pulls our 6 horse loaded a hell of a lot better than my 3.55's.

Yeah, but I am coming down from 4.30s... She pulls like a monster now, I just need to drop RPMs at 75 on the open highway.
62 mph... 2,000 rom
65 mph... 2,100 rpm
70 mph... 2,300 rpm
80 mph... 2,650 rpm

Now that I have a trans that can take a beating, and a 71 mm pushing air, I believe that I can drop to 3.73s and drop rpm and still not run too high EGTs. I'll only be towing heavy (25 K +) with it a few times a month until I retire. If she isn't handling it, I'll drop back down. Jim Haller did the same thing with his 450, and he has no complaints. going from 4.30 to 3.73 is right at a 13% difference. That means for every 1,000 rpm, I would drop 130 rpm...

so, at 70mph, and 2,300 rpm would now be 2,000 rpm...
and at 80 mph, and 2,650 would now be 2300 rpm...

Much better unloaded (or lightly loaded) fuel economy as well...

B585Ford

Reaction score

What happened to the GV? Last I saw, it looked like you were gonna use it.

Latest posts

Members online