Goal: make 600hp and be able to tow 10k..Possible?

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Ok guys i know i have been asking alot of questions latley, but its mainly to try to narrow down my projected setup. here is my goal: break the 600hp barrier and still be able to tow my backhoe while keeping EGTs in check.....
My first question is, is it possible? My understanding as of now and projected build sheet is this to get my goal:
-238/100 injectors
-irate's S468 w/.94 A/R (small turbine for quicker low end spooling)
-studs, springs, and push rods
-3" intake pendums
-I/Ced
-Efuel
-Meth injection
-T500 HPOP
-Live tuning

I figured it would get me in the 550hp and hopefully live tuning will push it over the 600hp barrier...meth injection and small turbine housing can hopefully keep EGTs in spec...any inputs?? Thanks!!

mattman347

Reaction score
Your going to need more injector and possibly more HPOP. I made over 600 with my set up and tow 10k with it every so often. I have not had any trouble, but I run the 1.10 housing too.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Ok guys i know i have been asking alot of questions latley, but its mainly to try to narrow down my projected setup. here is my goal: break the 600hp barrier and still be able to tow my backhoe while keeping EGTs in check.....
My first question is, is it possible? My understanding as of now and projected build sheet is this to get my goal:
-238/100 injectors
-irate's S468 w/.94 A/R (small turbine for quicker low end spooling)
-studs, springs, and push rods
-3" intake pendums
-I/Ced
-Efuel
-Meth injection
-T500 HPOP
-Live tuning

I figured it would get me in the 550hp and hopefully live tuning will push it over the 600hp barrier...meth injection and small turbine housing can hopefully keep EGTs in spec...any inputs?? Thanks!!

I would up the inj to a 250/200, add a wastegate to the turbo, and go for it that way. That will give you the fuel for 600 and if you are lacking in air, A shot of nitrous will make up for that. The wastegate will stop the turbo from overspeeding if you use the nitrous.

I had a 66 and 250/200's on my 450 and towed with it heavier than 15k prob 20-30 times with no issue. I never dyno'ed so can not say how much power it actually made unfortunatly, but towing was never an issue. Just remember you will need a trans too.

Last edited:

powerstroker66

Reaction score
i would go SRP 1.1 if i was going to go bigger then 238/100 because that has the T500 maxed...i dont really want to go 300/200 because that is a large injector...maybe 250/200 would be suitable....i would like to make 600hp but if i cant reguarly tow with it or reliably drive long distances and get decent fuel milage there isnt really a point in doing it then...unless of course i fab a twin set up...guys who have S468s, how do you let them for towing and DD?

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
i would go SRP 1.1 if i was going to go bigger then 238/100 because that has the T500 maxed...i dont really want to go 300/200 because that is a large injector...maybe 250/200 would be suitable....i would like to make 600hp but if i cant reguarly tow with it or reliably drive long distances and get decent fuel milage there isnt really a point in doing it then...unless of course i fab a twin set up...guys who have S468s, how do you let them for towing and DD?

You may want to rephrase your statement. You want to make 600hp and still be able to tow(as two separate events). Or you want to make 600hp and still be able to tow (at the same time)?

The first is very doable and I'm sure been done many times. Give Jonathan from bean's a call. He ran a set of our 300/200's in his dually and still was able to tow with no issues from what he told me. And when run the the black race truck I believe he did 560+ with just a drop in Garrett BB turbo. So a larger turbo should have no problem going past 600.

A set of 250/200 and 300/200 should be able to be tuned to tow just about the same. They use the same nozzle so turning them down would be quite similar. When running say 2ms of pw they will output the exact same amount of fuel. Somewhere in the ball park of 175-180cc. Get the idea??

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I wanted to do girdle, billet rods and half filled block to handle my setup and room for more. Kinda in the red zone at 600 hp.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
i tow around 10k every now and then but normaly its around 6k. Towing locally is fine, it when i get on the highway doing 70 is when im worried, its pretty hilly up north here and im worried about EGTS and smoke when towing that kinda load on a grade, not so much if the motor can hold it or not. So you guys are thing an S468 with either 250/200s or 300/200s? I'm going to change my gearing to 4:10s aswell since im running 35s to help with EGTs. Meth injection is definatley a plan as well.

mattman347

Reaction score
I towed in the mountains east of here and had no trouble, the gears will help get you where you would be at a usable RPM for that turbo spool.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
250/100. Modded H2e with good tunes..I'd use TW and fuel etc will get you 600 plus tow...have a cople of customers we setup with this combo..PM if I can help.

Cary

chris1978

Reaction score
i tow around 10k every now and then but normaly its around 6k. Towing locally is fine, it when i get on the highway doing 70 is when im worried, its pretty hilly up north here and im worried about EGTS and smoke when towing that kinda load on a grade, not so much if the motor can hold it or not. So you guys are thing an S468 with either 250/200s or 300/200s? I'm going to change my gearing to 4:10s aswell since im running 35s to help with EGTs. Meth injection is definatley a plan as well.

I'm running 300/200's, 38R with a PHP tow file and pull 15k quite frequently through the BC mountains with no EGT problems. I have less smoke now than when I was running AC codes pulling the same trailer.

Duradan

Reaction score
I have 300/200's with an H2E turbo, with a good tuner (gear head) I made 512 hp in all out tune, switched it to tow tune, and hauled a 13,800 lb trailer up a 9% grade, did 55mph the whole ways with egt's hanging right at 1300.... It's all about your tuner, I HIGHLY recommend Matt @ Gearhead Automotive. (p.s. 3.73 gears)

Latest posts

Members online