How does cool weather affect performance?

zilla68

Reaction score
Just curious,

I was driving my truck the other night, after my mechanical pump install and new fuel bowl, and it seems to run much better at nite.

Why is that? Is it a problem I'm not seeing? I have no codes etc.

I have 0 if any blowby, starts great, idles smooth now, but the other nite it sure seemed like the cooler air made it feel like it had alot more power.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
What were the temps at night/day? And cooler air=denser air charge

zilla68

Reaction score
daytime probably 100-102 and at nite around 80's.

I understand the denser air charge part, but I thought it seemed to run so much better cooler, that maybe it is something I need to be looking at as far as a sensor, etc.

oil change is coming, but I'm doing injector orings soon, so I thought I'd hold off. Not that I have any signs of issues, but with 175k I thought its time to get that and glow plugs out of the way before winter.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Dropping intake temps by 20ish degrees changes the air charge a lot. There is nothing wrong, everything runs a little better with dense, cool air.

1996 Scorpion

Reaction score
Another thing would be what I noticed with my truck (this applies more towards winter temps) was that after it had sat in the cold during work, on startup the timing was advanced automatically to aid in warm up which gave my truck a little more pep.

Tom S

Reaction score
I always think most vehicles seem to run the nicest in cool air as a general rule.

Jason

Reaction score
In the winter, my truck feels like a fox body 5.0 lol. I've kicked the ass end out sideways on left hand turns on dry pavement when it's crisp cool air. The summer, it still runs good, but feels almost 100hp down...I know it's nit, but 110 outside with high humidity sure kicks it in the balls.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i can def tell when i am haulin the pullin tractor home from pulls at night sompared goin to them during the day, trans temp will drop 10-15 degrees and EGT's will go down a good 100 degrees and feels all around better towin

STROKER

Reaction score
I think its probably the temp when its 90+ outside my trucks real smokey and seems kinda poochy but if its 60s or 70s theirs less smoke and its got a lot more balls. I have no proof to back it up that's just what I notice

Latest posts

Members online