Foglight mod?

01stroker

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a 2001 model, I was under the impression I could have the foglights on with just the parking lights, but unfortunately I was wrong, only 2003+ was able to do that. Is there a way I can splice into the wiring so I can turn them on with the parklights? Thanks in advance!

01REDSTROKER

Reaction score
Well it was an idea I had about a year ago that I never followed through on. So last night I was dicking around at the shop and I was like this is a no-brainer.

On the pre-2003 strokes you can't have just the fogs and marker lights on. But now you can!

Splice into the yellow wire behind the switch and send that over to the accessory position of a toggle switch, splice into the dark brown wire and send it over to the power position of the toggle switch. If you want the switch to light up when it's got power or not then you have to ground it.

This was taken from another site. It was posted by "Marty" - I have been running this set up for some time.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a 2001 model, I was under the impression I could have the foglights on with just the parking lights, but unfortunately I was wrong, only 2003+ was able to do that. Is there a way I can splice into the wiring so I can turn them on with the parklights? Thanks in advance!

I have lots of stickies in my computer..sure helps when you can only use 2 fingers to type.

Fog switch upgrade: couple of ways..

2001. Remove the headlight switch plate and unplug the two plugs. Take a drilll bit inside the the switch and remove enogh material so that you can pull the switch out it the parking light possition. Next take the white wire with the black stripe on it and cut it. tape off the end that goes back into the wire harnes under the dash so it will not short out. Take the other end of it that goes into the plug end and tap it into the parking lights, the brown wire. Now you have fog lights when you pull the switch out in the parking light possition and you keep them when you turn on your high beams.

Or:

http://www.ssdiv.com/fogfix.html

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Did this today, 210k and I have wanted to do this the whole time. I did have to cut the switch apart to get in there with a drill. But it was just melted tabs, so I just melted them back when done. Took all of 30 minutes!!!

One question, Factory is there any relay between there and the fog lights? Because it seems to me by tieing into the running light wire I have just added 65W of load to that wire...

True or ???

I need to add a relay anyway, just have not done it.

This was posted elsewhere...

Attachments

• White wire with black stripe.jpg
    White wire with black stripe.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 103
  • White wire cut and tapped into Brown.jpg
    White wire cut and tapped into Brown.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Fogs on with running lights!!!.jpg
    Fogs on with running lights!!!.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 95

Jason

Reaction score
My '02, I just turn it to the auto headlights spot, and pull out. No running or headlights come on, just my fogs. I leave it in this spot all the time, soon as you turn the key, (even with truck off), only the fog lights come on. Is this not what you're talking about?? I know 4-5 other guys who do the same, and from the pic that Joe posted, that looks like what I'm talking about.

But I guess not all trucks have the auto headlight position??

CSIPSD

Reaction score
My '02, I just turn it to the auto headlights spot, and pull out. No running or headlights come on, just my fogs. I leave it in this spot all the time, soon as you turn the key, (even with truck off), only the fog lights come on. Is this not what you're talking about?? I know 4-5 other guys who do the same, and from the pic that Joe posted, that looks like what I'm talking about.

But I guess not all trucks have the auto headlight position??

That feature was added in 2002 with the auto headlights, otherwise you are stuck with cutting into the harness like I did to make them work. The other nice thing is now when I turn my high beams on, the fogs stay on too!

Jason

Reaction score
I dunno? I like how it looks though. Always had it where I could have just fogs on my mustangs, f-bodies, even my Denali, I can run only fogs.

I like the high beams with fogs on. If this thing doesn't sell, which I doubt it will...I'd be interested in trying it.

01stroker

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! On my old 6.0 had that option, and even on my 01 cummins I had it, even when it gets dark it would be a good feature to have to run just the fogs not headlights AND fogs.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I did this mod on my '02. One of the best free mods you can do in my opinion. High beams are where it really "shines."

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
my 02 already does it!!! I remember doing this mod with my 98 Expedition though... I rarely used the head lights afterward

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
My 02 (no auto headlight setting) allows me to have parks and fogs at the same time.... fogs turn off with the brights though

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
My 02 (no auto headlight setting) allows me to have parks and fogs at the same time.... fogs turn off with the brights though

Exactly the same on my 05 with no auto headlights. I would like to be able to have my fogs stay on with my hi-beams.

Marty

Reaction score
Yes, the lariat 02-03 trucks with auto head lights can run just the fogs and marker lights.

My quoted post from earlier was intended for 99-01 trucks or 02-03 non lariat trucks.

Simply getting the 03 auto light switch doesn't work either... you can modify the switch but honestly it's just so easy to install 2 scotch locks and go. Like CSIPSD said... you can have the fog lights on with the high beams.

I do this mod as well as like 10 other little odds and ends to a lot of trucks. I have not had one issue yet.

3brorce

Reaction score
I just had to get the right switch that allowed my fog lights to be on with parking lights. buddy sold his truck that had the right switch so swapped it out

Latest posts

Members online