OBS IDM mod big resistor diy.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
I went to a electric wholesaler in KC yesterday and picked-up 6 larger sensors with same ratings. These are about twice to 3 times the size as the Vishay and made by NTE. My IDM is a 110 so I used a 75k ohm. The only diff is the Vishay resistors are acurate to 1% these are 2%. I checked all b4 leaving the store, they all tested within .25% of 75k ohm @ .5 watt.

The Mod itself was much easier than I thought it would be, did everything twice just because it seemed to simple. Was actually shocked when the truck fired and ran when tested. The silicone will dry tonight and I'll take it for a spin tomorrow.

I did my mod on a wal-mart lunchbox in my home office :D

100_1270.jpg

I only took this pic to dispell a myth, you don't need to turn the lid into a crushed soda can to remove.

100_1271.jpg

The size jump from 1 resistor to another is seen here. The Vishay resistors body is roughly the same size as the stock resistor.

100_1295.jpg

Heres where it is in the IDM.

100_1275.jpg

And the finished product. I had it in then out so many times unsure that it was right that I melted the corner of the green box next to it :doh:

100_1281.jpg

And thats it, next one will take about 10 minutes.

This was completed on both my DD's a year and combined 50k miles ago. Trucks both run flawlessly.

Last edited:

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I did the same....with great results. If you take your time with the lid removal and sealing it back it looks factory.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I did the same same resistor but had the store test it in front of me defiantly a difference especially at idle. But boy did I burn myself a lot trying to get the soldering iron in there without touching anything else

bluedge8

Reaction score
I have a little story about Idm's. I had a 110 in my truck and I never touched it. then I tried helping out "Ouch" on here using my Idm in his truck and we ended up damaging it. so I put his Idm in my truck which was a 120, I have no tunes in my truck right now and It was noticeable, much better throttle response and idled smoother. I then bought 2 used Idm's and they both turned out to be 100's, I tested both on the truck to make sure they worked and they did so I left the second one in and have been driving it. It is more sluggish than my 110!! So I will be doing the Idm mod!

JohnT24

Reaction score
Thought I'd give this old thread a bump....

I just ordered 2 resistors from digikey..... in case I fugg up one of them..
$0.20 each ... 3 bucks shipping... :lame:

old man dave

Reaction score
Yup, the most expensive thing is the RTV to seal it back up. Its one of those projects that to do one is 5 bucks, to do two is 5 bucks and three is still 5 bucks!

Just be sure to tin the leads or resistor and then put a little on the circuit board pad. Then all you have to do is set the resistor in place and hit it with the soldering iron. Done.

Last edited:

JohnT24

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard any negative effects of this mod?

other than not soldering the resistor in correctly or some other error...

old man dave

Reaction score
If done properly, not a single thing. I bought one from JoeServo, the guy who developed the mod and it is still running strong. Have to make sure the right type of resistor is used, though.

Latest posts

Members online