Bypass oil filtration kit??

Zmann

Reaction score
do they explain how it keeps your oil free of fuel
and prevents the oil from loosing lubrication quality do to shearing ?

I run one but still change at the severe interval
you can go longer but I would be having the oil analyzed

and My thinking is for the $35 bucks for the sample I will spend another 70 and just change it

now the bypass filter itself can go 15k IMHO

Zmann

Reaction score
Our bypass filtration kits do NOT effect the manufactures warranty in any way

Love that quote while technically correct their part won't void the warranty but

good luck handing the dealer or aftermarket warranty company your oil change receipt

( yes I said receipt not receipts LOL) if you have any motor issues

feasible to see 60,000 mile oil change intervals on most engines.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Would get oil testing done. My uncle just past some national lubrication test for his company. He said using a bypass filtration kit, with amsoil filter and oil I could easily see 10k out of a oil change. He can get it tested for me at his work as well. I'm very skeptical so I will report back after I save up for this and a full egr delete.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
For Amsoil to pay for itself you have to go above 10,000. Just calculate the numbers.
Amsoil - 40 a gallon - Not even breaking even at 10,000.
Delo - 18 a gallon

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I was speaking to my tech and he mentioned that all the lifter failures on the 6.4 were using extended drain intervals.
I also talked to another buddy who has a shop and he said the 7.3 and 6.0 is doable but for some reason the 6.4 is pickier and to stick w/ 5-10k depending on driving conditions. I believe 10k is what I-H says.

I want to install a bypass just for better filtration but I'll stick w/ 5k changes for now.

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
Heres an issue I ran in to running a bypass setup on my 6.4. If the oil from the bypass is returned through the oil fill cap, then the ccv pressure starts sending the oil being returned through the ccv and in to the intake tract. I started getting white puffs of smoke at start up and ended up emptying a quart of oil out of the intercooler itself. Took the bypass off and no more oil consumption issue. Something to think about. Haven't gotten the time to get around to it but gotta find a way to return the oil to somewhere else on the engine. I had the set up I used, on my 6.0 and it worked great. Moved it to my 6.4 and the ccv system interferes.

My plan was and it still is to try and return the oil to the driver side valve cover instead of through the fill cap on the passenger side. I even emailed amsoil about what I was having happen because I was running their oil fill cap they sell for the bypass kits. They just more or less blew off what I said and told me there wasn't an issue.

Last edited:

Cknox121

Reaction score
Heres an issue I ran in to running a bypass setup on my 6.4. If the oil from the bypass is returned through the oil fill cap, then the ccv pressure starts sending the oil being returned through the ccv and in to the intake tract. I started getting white puffs of smoke at start up and ended up emptying a quart of oil out of the intercooler itself. Took the bypass off and no more oil consumption issue. Something to think about. Haven't gotten the time to get around to it but gotta find a way to return the oil to somewhere else on the engine. I had the set up I used, on my 6.0 and it worked great. Moved it to my 6.4 and the ccv system interferes.

My plan was and it still is to try and return the oil to the driver side valve cover instead of through the fill cap on the passenger side. I even emailed amsoil about what I was having happen because I was running their oil fill cap they sell for the bypass kits. They just more or less blew off what I said and told me there wasn't an issue.

What if you do the ccv delete? Or run it out to a catch can then atmosphere?

Speaking of oil in intercooler, I need to check and see if I have any, if so going to install a drain on that sucker.

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
What if you do the ccv delete? Or run it out to a catch can then atmosphere?

Speaking of oil in intercooler, I need to check and see if I have any, if so going to install a drain on that sucker.

As long as the factory ccv /oil fill is there it will evacuate oil. If you vent to atmosphere all its gonna do is spray the under side of your truck with oil ... ask me how I know LOL

Stroke_this

Reaction score
As long as the factory ccv /oil fill is there it will evacuate oil. If you vent to atmosphere all its gonna do is spray the under side of your truck with oil ... ask me how I know LOL

Ok I'll bite how do you know?

Is there a system out there that works for the 6.4, or does someone have a solution?

Cknox121

Reaction score

Couldn't you run a tube down into the fill to keep it from just dumping in the very top?

caladash

Reaction score
Granted, I do not own a 6.4 but have done a little research on bypass kits. That site posted in the first post does not say how many microns that filter is. Maybe it does and I missed it. To me it looks like a basic oil filter with Amsoil written on it. If its the same as the motor filter then whats the point? Your just double filtering the same oil of the same micron size. Pointless. Depending on the micron size of the filter, IMO, bypass filters are a good idea. That's why I chose the FS2500. I wasn't really after extended changes, just clean oil. But, I installed the kit and did an oil analysis. Ran 5000 miles and changed all filters including the FS. Ran 5k more and did a sample. Was directed to go 4k more and resample. Per my oil analysis results, I'm able to go around 8 thousand miles on my oil. This was because my viscosity was pretty much done compliments of my high pressure oil pump! (7.3) My opinion, if the bypass filter isn't filtering a smaller micron size compared to the stock filter, the bypass kit is pointless. Again, just my opinion.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Granted, I do not own a 6.4 but have done a little research on bypass kits. That site posted in the first post does not say how many microns that filter is. Maybe it does and I missed it. To me it looks like a basic oil filter with Amsoil written on it. If its the same as the motor filter then whats the point? Your just double filtering the same oil of the same micron size. Pointless. Depending on the micron size of the filter, IMO, bypass filters are a good idea. That's why I chose the FS2500. I wasn't really after extended changes, just clean oil. But, I installed the kit and did an oil analysis. Ran 5000 miles and changed all filters including the FS. Ran 5k more and did a sample. Was directed to go 4k more and resample. Per my oil analysis results, I'm able to go around 8 thousand miles on my oil. This was because my viscosity was pretty much done compliments of my high pressure oil pump! (7.3) My opinion, if the bypass filter isn't filtering a smaller micron size compared to the stock filter, the bypass kit is pointless. Again, just my opinion.

What's the micron of motorcraft?

I would probably use the sinister kit

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
Ok I'll bite how do you know?

Is there a system out there that works for the 6.4, or does someone have a solution?

Cause I did it and wound up with a mess LOL

The FS2500 or whatever that bypass kit is has an option to return it via the oil pan through the drain hole. But then ya gotta deal with that every time you do an oil change. Just seems inconvenient

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
I made my own kit using a NUC motorsports oil filter cap, an AmsOil oil fill cap, an aluminum filter base and two AmsOil bypass filters and stainless braided lines and fittings. Pretty cost effective when ya do it yourself And ya end up with exactly what ya want

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.