2012 bumper installed, thinking about doing the whole swap

Matt_P

Reaction score
So i had a little mishap and banged up my 05 bumper and decided to try something new so I bought a 2012 bumper off a king ranch. After a little bit of work to make it sit tucked up right I got it on. It still needs to be painted to match the tan of my truck. I dont know if Im completely happy with it or not. Im thinking that doing billet inserts in the middle of the bumpe and switching to a harley grilled with a white painted surround would look better.

Im also considering doing a complete 2012 swap cause Im just getting bored again with the look of this truck. Anyone know where a full 2012 front clip is? LOL

Lemme know what you guys think about this, a harley grille should be going on soon along with some paint work and maybe make a set of projector headlights to go with it.

IMG_9397_zps9273fa7c.jpg

IMG_2335_zps028fdc57.jpg

IMG_1111_zpsf936c743.jpg

bf732168-847d-4ecd-97c8-a55b145b7d2d_zps7bf91c9a.jpg

JMart

Reaction score
It looks odd to me, cant put my finger on it though.

Maybe the bumper is to high now, not sure.

Matt_P

Reaction score
looks good!

Thanks!

Yeah the bumper is a little high now, before I elongated the holes on the frame for the bumper there was about an inch and a quarter gap between the bumper and the headlights. Im gonna try moving the bumper down a litle without making the headlight gap too large.

VanoFord

Reaction score

at first i was like, NICE! then saw your comment and went and relooked. its almost as if the Gaps being all different sizes (none under your grill, slight under headlamp, huge on the angle of the bumper). I think thats whats throwin my eye off.

to the OP, how does it look from a straight side shot? not angled, just side only? I'm wondering if the wheel well matches the arc.

I definitely say do the whole swap. i'd love to do it to my 08 but finding a clip for low $$$ is damn near impossible. :shrug:

jwlandry

Reaction score
Only thing I don't like is that it looks to wide. Kinda like it needs to be cut in half and some cut out of each side and welded back together.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
To me it takes away from the rest of the front end. Honestly not a fan. I have to say that's the first time I've said that about something you've done with a truck. If you like it, that's all that matters though.

A full front end conversion would be sweet.

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
I think it looks good on there Matt. once its ptm'D it will look a little better. still a beautiful rig, like all of yours have been

Spatel23

Reaction score
Looks high to me also.....too much of the front end components are visible that are usually covered. Maybe the valance would help.

IMO....the whole thing or just 05-07

smcox1

Reaction score
Looks good! If you chopped it in half and took 4"? Out of it, it would be perfect.

Jason

Reaction score
I agree with everything Matt does being spot on. Honestly, I see a lot of potential in this swap...if there was a way to drop the bumper down so it doesn't cover the bottom of the grille, and the sides came up under the headlights, it'd look great. Almost has a road armor look to it. Maybe a little fab work, to raise the bumper under the headlights, add some meat in the grille line area, and it'd look sweet. Then add your billet inserts with your ideas for the front end, and maybe a air dam under the bumper to clean it up some..short version of course.

MINK

Reaction score
Matt, just stop LOL

Go back to the 05-07 ptm harley idea you've been planning on.

Matt_P

Reaction score
How much fab work did this take to accomplish?

Not much, Just elongate the holes an inch on the frame for the bumper bolts. Take a little off the bumper brackets so it can fit on without removing the tow hooks and thats about it.

at first i was like, NICE! then saw your comment and went and relooked. its almost as if the Gaps being all different sizes (none under your grill, slight under headlamp, huge on the angle of the bumper). I think thats whats throwin my eye off.

to the OP, how does it look from a straight side shot? not angled, just side only? I'm wondering if the wheel well matches the arc.

I definitely say do the whole swap. i'd love to do it to my 08 but finding a clip for low $$$ is damn near impossible. :shrug:

Ill have to get a picture from the side. The arc matches very well its just not all the way in line with the fender.

Only thing I don't like is that it looks to wide. Kinda like it needs to be cut in half and some cut out of each side and welded back together.

The pictures are decieving in that way. Im not sure why they came out like that but I see what you are saying. The bumper actually in person lines up with the fenders perfectly.

To me it takes away from the rest of the front end. Honestly not a fan. I have to say that's the first time I've said that about something you've done with a truck. If you like it, that's all that matters though.

A full front end conversion would be sweet.

Yeah I knew this would be a 50//50 on whether I liked it or not or if it came out looking good. I really like the idea of a one piece bumper and the fogs sitting where they do. Like you said Im not sold on it and its probably going back to a 05 bumper with a little paint work.

I think it looks good on there Matt. once its ptm'D it will look a little better. still a beautiful rig, like all of yours have been

Thanks Zach!

i like it,But I think it dosnt match the lights 100%

yeah i doesnt match the lights at all, that what bothers me most about it.

Eh...
Time for the whole 12' swap
Just doesn't flow with the old head lights

'12 swap would be fun, it would just take a little to track down all the parts

Looks high to me also.....too much of the front end components are visible that are usually covered. Maybe the valance would help.

IMO....the whole thing or just 05-07

yeah it is definiely high, I shouldnt have trimmed the valance up so much.

I wondered if this was possible . Looks good just looks aftermarket .

Thanks, yeah its real easy.

Looks good Matt but I think a valance would make it look less high.

I agree, and thanks

Looks good! If you chopped it in half and took 4"? Out of it, it would be perfect.

Thanks!

I agree with everything Matt does being spot on. Honestly, I see a lot of potential in this swap...if there was a way to drop the bumper down so it doesn't cover the bottom of the grille, and the sides came up under the headlights, it'd look great. Almost has a road armor look to it. Maybe a little fab work, to raise the bumper under the headlights, add some meat in the grille line area, and it'd look sweet. Then add your billet inserts with your ideas for the front end, and maybe a air dam under the bumper to clean it up some..short version of course.

thanks Jason, I completely agree if I spent time doing all that it would definitely fit very nicely.

Matt, just stop LOL

Go back to the 05-07 ptm harley idea you've been planning on.

LOL cant stop, Im getting too bored with it! I do have some guy trying real hard to trade me his 6.4 plus at least 5k for the truck but I dont think Im gonna take that.

I think the PTM idea is gonna be happeingin though, Im picking up a harley grille tomorrow.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I was just out in the shop wondering how I could cut holes in my front bumper to get more air to the air filter...
Now I see how your truck looks with a new bumper on it, and thought to myself, I can just cut holes in mine the same shape as what the new bumpers have, and it would look great!

Thanks for posting the pictures. Nice to see the comparison between your avatar picture and the pictures you posted with the new bumper.

Latest posts

Members online