2000 7.3 powerstroke burning oil

ju015dd

Reaction score
Ok, truck has a rebuilt engine in her with about 45k on engine. Has been using roughly 4 quarts of oil every 1200, to 1500 miles and smoke at idle a bluish whitish color and gets worse the longer it idles. When u take off after idling for a period of time truck will give out quit a bit of smoke till it clears up for the most part but still has a little bit all the time. I have been battling this issue for a long time and am sick and tired of it smoking all the time. Blow by seems very minimal to me no pressure and not a lot of steam. I can put a ping pong ball where oil filter cap goes and it just sits there and floats does not fly off. Oil filter cap same doesn't lift cap at all. Today I did a cold compression test. Truck has been sitting for about a week.

Driver side, front to back, 375, 375, 375, 375
Pass side , front to back, 380, 375, 370, 375

I just got done pulling all 8 of my hybrid 238% 100 injectors and. All look fine. Orings look good and in working order. All have copper washer and look good. I have check all injector bore and are clean. And no left over old copper washers. I had to such a lot of oil out of number 6 bore. All are clean now. What am I missing here. Does anyone have any ideas of why I am burning oil. Compression seems fine and blow by seems fine to me. What am I missing

I can add some pics of injectors if need to. Tired of buying oil and also oil seems very black and fuel like. Also o rings are Alliant brand. :morons:

I just took her on a 1400 mile trip to the keys of Florida and back and had to add a gallon of oil when got back home to get her back up to normal.

ju015dd

Reaction score
To my knowledge new pistons and rings all included. Everything was suppose to be redone on the internals. To my knowledge I wasn't there when everything was worked.

ju015dd

Reaction score
I just find it hard to believe valve stem seals would cause for this much oil to be used up. Yes truck always smokes while idling but not to much but if u sit idling for 5 or more min there will be lots of smoke while taking off and driving for a bit till most of the smoke clears up. While driving there isn't much noticeable smoke but at night I can see it in someone's headlights behind me when I take off from stop signs or red lights. It is also slightly noticeable during the daytime.

Also just to clarify truck runs perfect and pulls hard. I have the smoking issue in every tune plus stock.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
My wife's Jeep did the same thing. If she idled alot or alot of stop and go traffic and it would burn a qt in 350 miles.
If it was driven on the highway for the same distance it would hardly use any.
New valve stem seals and problem solved.
It was a new engine as well and it had good hot and cold compression.

smoker00

Reaction score
Sounds like valves seals to me...Hard to say with out being there..

While your in there you can check injector O-rings do seals and some 910s

ju015dd

Reaction score
What is the best tool for taking out valve springs while engine is still in truck. I have a tool but don't think it will work on pass side rear ones with ac stuff in the way. Also all injectors are out and old o rings looked fine to me. I have new rings on them now just havnt put them back in yet. I am having a hard time seeing valve seals cause this. How do they go bad and what exactly do they do

Andrew

Reaction score
Who built the injectors and how many miles on them? They can bypass oil internally and cause the exact problem you are having.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Injectors are by rosewood. And have around 20 k on them. But this same problem was happening with my last set of injectors from rosewood also so I don't think injectors are the culprit. Once I get the injectors back in I am going to do another compression test and then check blow by with a tool I am building. I know there is no pressure coming out of the oil fill cap though because I can set a ping pong ball on it and it just hovers there

ju015dd

Reaction score
Turbo is good. It's a 38 r and just had it out to put ww2 on it. Also to add same oil burning problem with my previous stock turbo.

Arisley

Reaction score
image_22167.jpg

Is this your tool. If so, remove the star on the top. Weld a hut on there and use a wrench to tighten and loosen it.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
Id go with valve seals as it loads up while sitting and dumps smoke upon take off then clears up mostly.Iknow with gassers if you go down a long hill (and dont hit the throttle at all) with the backpressure holding you back (od off) then at the bottom when you hit the throttle watch the exhaust if its a crop duster then clears up for the most part theres a problem with the oil control rings and ive saw where theres good compression numbers but burned oil. Dont know if this is true on a diesel but I cant see why not. Did they hone the cylinders right or where the cylinders just in spec but should have been bored but they skipped that step to save funds, and was it a reputable shop or a shade tree backyarder that did the work?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.