cryoed parts

obspsd

Reaction score
what are some parts that y'all have had cryoed? and did you notice a difference afterwards? I have some parts in my trans cryoed but i did it when i swapped to an auto so i don't have a before and after experience. I'm just curious as to how much it helps.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Cryogenic treatment is to strengthen the molecular structure of material. It doesn't add performance characteristics to anything. Now, some people believe it helps the performance of certain parts that see bearing surface. Whether that's seen in more rpm, quicker acceleration or horsepower I'm not sure anyone can say. I know that in a high performance build, every little bit helps.

On one of my 7.3 motors, we cryo'd everything from the pan up. It was gonna see about 5-600hp worth of nitrous though so it may not be practical to spend that kind of coin on a DD engine. Most guys treat the rockers and flex plates. Other than that, not much sense in doing more if you are sub 550hp.

obspsd

Reaction score
I Know It Doesn't Add Performance I Was Meant How Much Stronger Does It Make The Metal. I Just Had The Rods Done For The Motor I'm Building. Its Gonna Be A 650Hp Street/Toy Truck

genie144

Reaction score
It won't make them "stronger" it reduces residual stress in the material decreasing focalized stress points.

Your tuning and skill of builder will determine far more than Cryo treatment on the rods. The typical Cryo treatment done (recipe from the MFG of the machines out of Illinois) usually is just a canned program that does not take into account the actual met of the rods. Ask who cryo'd the rods if there were rotors, gun barrels, rockers, CD's, or socks in the freezer when treated. If they were treated in conjuction with other material types... Well, the effectiveness of the processing will be muted.

Cryo treatment does affect the shear strength (compression as well) of factory forged rods in a positive manner - if the treatment is done correctly and applicable to the rod material... I do not have data for the "off the shelf" or mail order cryogenic processing.

If I were to build another engine and had the time, I would have many parts cryogenically treated.

Sam

obspsd

Reaction score
TOk Thanks For That Info. I Am Building The Motor And I'm Also Getting Some New Tunes. I'd Really Like For This Motor To Stay In One Piece. And 300 Below In Illinois Did The Cryo, I Figured ForA Hundred Bucks It Was Worth A Shot

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good cryoed stuff come out of 300, never took the time to find out where their from before. Luckily for me I'm through Decatur often for work. I will have to stop in there some time to get some specifics from them for some work on my other block

Latest posts

Members online