'13+ Platinum Tailgate Panel?

KrisH

Reaction score
So here's a random question - do any Platinum owners out there not like their tailgate trim piece? I have something I want to try out with that part but figured I'd see if anyone had considered removing theirs and if they'd want to sell it to me rather than me having to pay the stealership a bunch of money for a brand new one. I'm planning to customize it and possibly offer a cheaper option for anyone wanting to add to their tailgate in the future.

It's a total long shot, but I thought it was worth asking. If needed, mods can move this to classifieds.

mwdguy

Reaction score
only problem with removing it is that they have clips on that panel so the tailgate has multiple holes in it.

KrisH

Reaction score
Oh that's great to know actually. I expected it to be held on with adhesive/double-sided tape. That would be a problem then haha. The piece I'm hoping to make would be adhesive-backed and not require drilling. What's the general consensus on that piece anyway? I personally dig it, but I wonder if people see it as unnecessary.

mwdguy

Reaction score
I dont mind mine because it does not contrast the tri coat as much as the other colors. A couple of guys have painted the panel to match.

Reaction score
Yeah you will need to swap the entire tailgate to do this. We did this to a platinum already.

1069220_689945297698562_1620216502_n.jpg

KrisH

Reaction score
No kidding...so when Ford sells it, do they sell it as a set? Because I was quoted around $800-1000 when I asked about it. Thought it seemed a bit much for a big piece of plastic.

KrisH

Reaction score
Dang. Looks like my fiancee just found a full assembly for $1500, but for what I have planned, it doesn't make sense lol.

mwdguy

Reaction score
Glad I installed the electric pop&lock. Now that I know how much it costs. My buddies 2013 dodge has electric tailgate lock stock.

IA Farmer

Reaction score
Yeah you will need to swap the entire tailgate to do this. We did this to a platinum already.

1069220_689945297698562_1620216502_n.jpg

How did you get that panal off? I would love to get mine painted to match.
When you took that one off did you break it or any of the clips?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
There are about 50 clips. I say about 5 broke, but there are damn sure more than enough to hold it there.

good time to wonder , "what in the *** were they thinking?" nuther reason for a lariat.

Ghost

Reaction score
I have plans for mine to water dip it carbon fiber along
With the grill just trying to decide if I'm going to do my platinum grill or test on an XL. Should last if I 3m it afterward.

Murder is old school welcome to the world of "Ghost"

IA Farmer

Reaction score
There are about 50 clips. I say about 5 broke, but there are damn sure more than enough to hold it there.

So did you just start pulling on it or are there any screws on the inside of the tailgate? Also do you know how to get the emblem/camera off the tail gate?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
The whole tailgate without that panel is like 3000 bucks so I assume that price you got was just for the panel

Must be why these are getting stolen left and right around here...That's nuts.

Ghost - I'd be real interested to see how the carbon fiber dip comes out. Be sure to put some pictures up when you're done.

Latest posts

Members online