project: second time around

old96stroker

Reaction score
Well here is my project, I owned this truck before about 6 years ago and my dad bought it from me and he bought a new pickup last week and old blackie as my wife calls it found its way home to me. This will be a slow process but mechanical first.
First off the whole front end needs rebuilt, axle internals are fine but ball joints, wheel bearings sway bar bushings tie rod ends shocks everything needs replaced along with all brake components, rotors, pads, and possibly calipers.
Also curious about front springs, you can see how bad the front end rakes down, rear springs seem fine and have about a 3 and a half inch difference from front to back was thinking about doing pro comp 22210 springs in the front end, anybody used these and can the rest of the front suspension stay stock with them?
I would like any and all constructive opinions, probably will start fixing rust and a few dings and looking for a new tailgate and new mirrors, passengers side mirror is trashed, if anybody has a line on reasonably priced mirrors and tailgate let me know, here is a picture of the truck after spending 20 bucks getting it reasonably clean.

Attachments

• 20130909_104438.jpg
    20130909_104438.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129

old96stroker

Reaction score
Well after doing some research, maybe xrf ball joints and precision wheel bearings, anybody have any opinions or feedback here? Still waiting on a quote from a site sponsor.

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
PMF has a 2" hanger and shackle kit. I went the cheap route and did a mini spring pack to level the truck in my avatar.

Last edited:

old96stroker

Reaction score
I found a set of 2003 f250 4x4 axles with 95k miles on them for 500 dollars. Seems like a good deal and a cheap resolution to rebuilding my front end and replacing all my brake components front and rear. Axles are complete with leaf springs and sway bar. Brakes look like new and calipers move freely, is there any way I can somehow check ball joints and wheel bearings? The axles are on the ground btw. Please give me opinions on this, thanks.

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
It didn't change the ride at all for me with the springpacks and it definately won't with hangers and shackles. No modifications were needed, the kits come with center pins. I would recommend the hangers and shackles way before the mini pack though. And btw, late 99-04 were the same front leaves. If you can find x-code front springs, it will lift it up as well. And sorry I cant help on the axles. Looks like a good deal even if you have to do ball joints and wheel bearings because you can sell yours for a pretty good price im sure.

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
Cool, the process is reasonably simple for the back axle. I did it in an evening with 2 floor jacks without having done it before. The front end will be a little more difficult but not too bad. Start soaking your bolts now. Let me know if you have any more questions, I've done 3 of these now.

old96stroker

Reaction score
Well a little update, been crazy busy here lately with work and finally going to get to work on the truck. A couple of weeks ago had the truck checked out and had a contribution test done on the injectors and everything checked out. Got two new to me axles bought from underneath a 2004 with right at 90k miles on it that just had new ball joints and wheel bearings put in it. This weekend I am going to try to get them swapped out, the originals will be for sale if anybody is interested, internals are OK I believe but everything else is pretty used up, please me if interested in them, I won't want much for them. Also I am looking to have everything black on this truck and the front and rear bumpers are chrome and in good shape as is the eBay grille, am looking to trade for a clean x set (all black). Pics of swap to come.

old96stroker

Reaction score
Having a little bit of a hard time getting pictures to load so I will try later. Got both axles swapped, rearend is finished except for bleeding brakes and frontend is in, boy hooking up the stabilizer bar was a real treat though. The old axles are for sale if anybody is interested send me a pm I want them gone.

old96stroker

Reaction score
One question on this front axle situation, my old axle was a Dana 50 with no front abs and the new axle has abs sensors going down the top of the rotor in a slot in the debris cover, was just going to cut the wire off and run the new axle like the old, any problems there? Opinions and info needed, thanks.

Latest posts

Members online