My Build

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
for my new 13' there were some challenges because there's so much crap under and behind the seat now. harness, controllers, electric window motor, seat belt crap, any way i was able to squeeze (3) JL shallow 10's all driven by a JL 500/1 , which has no problem driving them at all. i put a jl 300/4 to the factory components, they sound great up to a certain level so i will be replacing with focal's in the next week or 2. i used an lcq-i tuning eq for use of the factory stereo, because i have the sync nav and my ford touch and was not about to get rid of it. i ended up pulling the factory sub after what jdc said , and i am happy i did. i did not have to shim the seat in any manner and ended up with just under 1.6 cubic feet for the necessary 1.5 for 3 of these subs. it hits extremely hard and i havent even turned the sub control up past half way and its more than i could ever need. all in all i'm very happy. it is tuned, but i think dynamat and focal components will finish it off nicely.

13_jl_subs.jpg

13_amps.jpg

Dzchey21

Reaction score
bad ass man, im happy with my single 12 cant imagine how hard that ***er hits LOL

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
thanks guys, kinda just wish i woulda done the focal's right off the bat, but was really curious to see what these sony components would do.

shone- box yook a couple days to build, its pretty nifty. i can have it drawn if you want and they'll ship you one.

HD F250

Reaction score
Awesome, I can only imagine how hard 3 10"s hit. I am sure the Focal's will sound a lot better than the JL components also. My winter project will be to build a custom box for my Hertz sub and upgrade my rear speakers. I have Morel components in the front and Audison amp that came with truck. I like Shone will be giving you a call before I start. :)

Koda22

Reaction score
Looks great, keep thinking I'm gonna upgrade my sound, but my little single 10 does just fine...maybe some day...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks great, keep thinking I'm gonna upgrade my sound, but my little single 10 does just fine...maybe some day...

just depends. a jl10w6 would prolly come pretty close to what these 3 do. im sure 3 shallow is a bit over kill, but if i'm goona lose most of the space to 2 of them, may as well do it right. i have 1 10w6 in my grand cherokee and it is plenty!

jdc753

Reaction score
just depends. a jl10w6 would prolly come pretty close to what these 3 do. im sure 3 shallow is a bit over kill, but if i'm goona lose most of the space to 2 of them, may as well do it right. i have 1 10w6 in my grand cherokee and it is plenty!

Love it, if you loose the space use it all up. Back seat riders are gonna get some sweet messages. Amps look good back there too, I have always liked how JL puts all the wiring down on the bottom.

Focals will really wake it up, if you can build out the doors too when you put them in. Deadener and ensolite then make some panels to seal up the access holes and it will really wake up whatever speakers get in there.

Does that lq do time alignment?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Love it, if you loose the space use it all up. Back seat riders are gonna get some sweet messages. Amps look good back there too, I have always liked how JL puts all the wiring down on the bottom.

Focals will really wake it up, if you can build out the doors too when you put them in. Deadener and ensolite then make some panels to seal up the access holes and it will really wake up whatever speakers get in there.

Does that lq do time alignment?

after messing with it today, these 3 hit WAY harder than a single w6 ... the range is very surprising for a shallow mount. im much more impressed with these then the single 13tw5 in my other crew cab.

jdc753

Reaction score
after messing with it today, these 3 hit WAY harder than a single w6 ... the range is very surprising for a shallow mount. im much more impressed with these then the single 13tw5 in my other crew cab.

Awesome!!! I just love seeing people happy with car audio lol

to break it down, for raw output is a pretty simply formula of Cone Area X Wattage = Output with a small factor to Xmax. So 3 tens are a hair ahead of 2-12's due to more cone area, plus usually more power handling with 3 subs of the same class vs 2.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Josh, you are hands down one of the best resources this site has as a member. Thank you for your effort to help teach us all a thing or two about audio. Derail over *no homo* Lol

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome!!! I just love seeing people happy with car audio lol

to break it down, for raw output is a pretty simply formula of Cone Area X Wattage = Output with a small factor to Xmax. So 3 tens are a hair ahead of 2-12's due to more cone area, plus usually more power handling with 3 subs of the same class vs 2.

the craziest part is someone told me today these subs required 200 rms each at so many ohms ... the guy who i sort of followed, had masconi ( sp? ) amps. a 600x1 driving his 3 , and mine hit a good bit harder. guy at the shop said he believes the raw power of the slash amp's out perform the hi fi power of the more expensive foreign amps. i have the audio control for my subs, and i havent even come close to full power and they hit way harder than i could ever want. guy said he doesnt want the other truckowner to hear mine, as he will probaly get bummed ! i had inquired about the 900/5 to simplify the setup, but shop said no way, the 500/1 was way stronget than the 5 channel. glad i went this way!

Are the surrounds hitting the bottom of the seat?

no, they have some max deflection number to work off, i think its roughly an inch, but no , the box is sunk to protect from that.

jdc753

Reaction score
Josh, you are hands down one of the best resources this site has as a member. Thank you for your effort to help teach us all a thing or two about audio. Derail over *no homo* Lol.

Thanks a ton Steve, means a lot. I don't known all the turbo and injector stuff you guys know but least I can help out down here. Always love talking car audio.

the craziest part is someone told me today these subs required 200 rms each at so many ohms ... the guy who i sort of followed, had masconi ( sp? ) amps. a 600x1 driving his 3 , and mine hit a good bit harder. guy at the shop said he believes the raw power of the slash amp's out perform the hi fi power of the more expensive foreign amps. i have the audio control for my subs, and i havent even come close to full power and they hit way harder than i could ever want. guy said he doesnt want the other truckowner to hear mine, as he will probaly get bummed ! i had inquired about the 900/5 to simplify the setup, but shop said no way, the 500/1 was way stronget than the 5 channel. glad i went this way!

That's one I have always found the "low power" systems always seem to impress more than the all out big power builds. I would assume there is some compromises in the 5 channel versus the straight 500/1. The foreign stuff does tend to have a more tender touch as the euros are commonly known for lol. I wonder how much Rico likes all this Mosconi vs JL battle lol

This makes me want to move my amps beneath the seat and load in 4 shallows behind the seat!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online