Poor engine...

mattman347

Reaction score
Well as some know my 97 bent a rod a week ago when I was up in Ohio. Can't complain one bit as it has 215k on it and 12K of that was over 600hp. It happened while I was getting on it hard, when I let out of it it has a strange knock. Lol. It has been giving my signs of letting go for a while now with a lot of blow by out if the passenger valve cover vent. Number 8 was the one to finally bend, piston is 3/8 shorter than the others! New 7.3 going in, but it's only a forged rod again. My plan is to run this for a while while my billet rod engine is getting built. I hope it lasts, but I don't have high expectations! LOL! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381192537.276472.jpg
New engine
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381192552.026990.jpg
Cracked piston
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381192578.021414.jpg
Short rod at TDC
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381192603.450615.jpg

mattman347

Reaction score
Little bit of valve contact on the piston it looks like.

Im worried mine could let loose anytime

Yeah and that was not there before when I blew the gaskets with stage 2's and this 468. I shimmed my 910's but it apparently was not enough... It's all a big gamble at this power level, I'm just going to try to break in my new engine a little before I go crazy, but Rudy's event is this weekend and I as thinking about towing my superduty out there with the OBS to break it in good!! Lol

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Bigger shims.. I believe junkie shimmed his a little more and had luck with that.

I wouldn't say that's the answer...

I had comp springs un shimmed for about 35 pulls and 40k.. Broke several times and rev'd to 5k or so and didn't have valve marks on a piston.

Southmike

Reaction score
Have you rolled the push rods on something like a sheet of glass?
Least the one with the valve that made contact.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
So if a person was going to run a similar combo, they should use more than a set of shimmed 910's?

That sir depends on a lot of other things. Most will answer yes to this question, if you look at the numbers coil bind is an issue and seat pressure is nothing exciting compared to stock.
Lots go with 910s because they can get by and they are cheap. I love the beehive springs from Comp, but they are surely more expensive.

You get what you pay for!

Just for the record I ran 910s in my 7.3 at this horsepower and would probably do it again....

Milford

Reaction score
Yeah it is! On a side question here, what are the dimensions and product used for the stand? I need to make on and building one out of tube like yours seems to be the best way to go.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.