No Communication with PCM

webb06

Reaction score
I've got a customer with a '97 f350. he had a banks chip installed. chip came loose and caused the truck to start acting up. we removed the chip and he now wants a tuner instead of a chip. we ended up get him an edge evolution programmer.

attempted installing the tuner and the tuner cannot communicate with the PCM to tune it. i tried hooking up our genesis scanner to see if it would communicate. same thing, no communication.

anybody have some advice on what we need to do? not sure if its a wiring problem or if its the PCM itself.

Reaction score
I would start by checking all the underhood fusebox fuses. Does the Wait-to-Start light come on? Does the CEL do its 1/4 second flash when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start or does it stay on continuously (or not come on at all)? Cheers!

webb06

Reaction score
I would start by checking all the underhood fusebox fuses. Does the Wait-to-Start light come on? Does the CEL do its 1/4 second flash when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start or does it stay on continuously (or not come on at all)? Cheers!

Everything operates as normal. Truck runs and drives fine.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Everything operates as normal. Truck runs and drives fine.

Does the tuner power up at all? Correct me if i'm wrong but is the OBD11 port on a OBS powered by the Cigarette lighter fuse like the SD's? I remember my old bully dog tuner wouldn't power up because that fuse was burnt out on my 7.3 SD.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
Does the tuner power up at all? Correct me if i'm wrong but is the OBD11 port on a OBS powered by the Cigarette lighter fuse like the SD's? I remember my old bully dog tuner wouldn't power up because that fuse was burnt out on my 7.3 SD.

Tuner powers up and I can scroll through everything to start tuning, once it gives me the "turn key to run" it says error cannot communicate.

Spud Monkey

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I will be watching this thread to see where it goes. Except mine is little more severe, truck wont start at all.

old man dave

Reaction score
Check the cigar lighter for operation. The OBD II port gets its 12+ volts from the same fuse, most diagnostics won't work unless it sees 12+ volts at the port

webb06

Reaction score
Check the cigar lighter for operation. The OBD II port gets its 12+ volts from the same fuse, most diagnostics won't work unless it sees 12+ volts at the port

It's not the fuse. The tuner powers on and so does the scanner. It's something with the PCM or wiring.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Need a PCM

:whs:

If this ends up being the PCM, this will be the fourth time I have seen a case like this. Everything runs and works fine/normal, except you cannot communicate to the PCM.

Try swapping in a known good PCM if you have access to one.

webb06

Reaction score
:whs:

If this ends up being the PCM, this will be the fourth time I have seen a case like this. Everything runs and works fine/normal, except you cannot communicate to the PCM.

Try swapping in a known good PCM if you have access to one.

I'll have to see if I can track one down.

Spud Monkey

Reaction score
The PCM needs to be flashed and erased of all memory it has to stock then put the Edge back on. Might need local stealership to do this.