So your truck has cold start issues? Runs rough? White smoke?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Every year, like clock work...

Let's just get this out of the way.

It's that time of year, again, where your diesel is starting to to work a little harder on start up because of dropping temperatures. It does NOT need to be this way! Despite what others have told you about your 6.0, it's not normal for it to white smoke and chug and idle like a cammed big block gasser when you first fire it up. This can be fixed, and in most cases VERY easily.

The two most common (and often overlooked) areas that cause these cold start issues are your batteries, and your FICM (fuel injection control module). Before we can even attempt to diagnose anything else, these two issues need to be addressed and ruled out before moving forward. They are also the easiest to check, and require no specialty tools of any sort.

Batteries! Take them OFF of the truck and bring them to your local parts store and have them LOAD tested. The reason they need to be off of the truck (not attached to each other) is because it's possible one is in great shape, and the other is in a weak condition. The good one can mask the bad one. If you find that one is indeed bad, replace BOTH of them. Yes, BOTH. Replacing only one usually means you'll be replacing them both again shortly anyways. Do it now, save yourself the headache and avoid being caught with a dead truck in a snow storm at the most inconvenient time possible.

Ok, so your batteries checked good, or you put new batteries on. Take a few extra minutes and inspect/clean your connections. All of them. Check the ground cables really well and their connections. It doesn't hurt to just clean them and put your hands on the cables here. Small voltage issues cause big messes with 6.0's.

FICM's! Your batteries are good, next likely culprit is the FICM. The FICM in a nutshell takes your battery voltage of 12-14 and ramps it up to 48V to electronically fire the injector. The FICM has a very important job. If it's weak your truck will let you know. Listen closely when you first turn the key and hear the spool valves being moved. (Buzzing noise under the hood when you first turn the key). If it sounds sporadic and sort of broken up, it's a good sign your batteries suck or your FICM is dying, or both. This is more noticeable in the cold because of the oil becoming thick and causing stiction on your spool valves. There are a few ways to help overcome this issue with FICM programming and such, but I wont get into that here. You need to ensure your FICM is running at proper voltages. There are three conditions that must be checked.

1) 48 Volts @ Key on, engine off
2) 48 Volts @ cranking
3) 48 Volts @ running

You may find you have 48V for two conditions, but not the third, and it can be any one of the three. If it falls below, get it fixed or replaced. There are dozens of places that sell upgrades, and repair services (again, I wont get into that here, this is strictly what you NEED to have a good starting/running truck). Ford says 45 V is the min. I find that if they dip down to the low 40's at first and come back up to 48, it's usually a battery voltage issue. In most cases when the FICM is dying they will have low voltage almost all of the time. If it is weak you will notice the truck will start and run easier as it warms up (oil thinning out).

There are TONS of places to get the test procedure. (youtube) Grab a multi-meter, some basic hand tools (you'll need torx bits as well) and a couple beers and check it. It only takes a few minutes. You can also check it and verify it with software and monitors like the scangauge II etc. Just search around here, tons of info on this.

Ok, so your batteries are good, your FICM is good. For those REALLY cold days, I have a simple procedure I do for start up, especially if the truck hasn't been run in 24 hours and isn't plugged in. I typically turn the key forward and listen to the spool valves buzzing. I basically ignore my wait to start light in the winter. Listen to how quickly the spool valves buzz. You'll hear them get quicker as the oil is moved off of the spool valve. I usually let the injectors buzz once until they shut off, then turn the key off, and back forward again and let them run another complete buzz. Usually two is good and I start the truck. If you listen to your injectors, you'll know when it's a good time to start. If everything is in good shape voltage wise, and you let them buzz until they sound healthy... you should have NO starting issues. I can fire my truck in 0* F weather without being plugged in and it will fire good and strong with virtually no smoke.

Obviously these are not the end-all fixes but they are the two most common. A few other things to try to help in cold start situations...

Plugging in always helps. It's not always needed, or even available, but it is just much easier on everything.

A good quality synthetic 5w-40 oil. IMO, you should be running this anyway in a 6.0 (motorcraft filters only....)

An oil additive. Hot subject here, but they have been known to work well. The common one's are Hot Shot Secrets, Rev-X, and Archoil 9100. I prefer the Archoil myself because of cost and effectiveness, your results may vary.

If after all of this, you still have issues, post it up here and we can help you diagnose. It could be an issue with injection pressures, or even simply a bad injector or two. Again, start with the basics. The glow plug system may also be another area that needs attention, but they seem to be quite robust on the 6.0's. You can find the test specs for glow plugs and the glow plug control module posted on this board. Do an advanced search for my name and glow plug test and it should come up.

I know this seems pretty basic, and if you live in TX you may not even care, but this literally could be a potentially life or death situation. You do NOT want to be caught out in the wilderness in freezing temps with a temperamental 6.0 that wont start. That is NOT the time you want to realize your FICM isn't up to the job of moving 8 spool valves. Check it now, get it out of the way.

Any questions just ask.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

C-TANE

Reaction score
As usual, that is a great write up... Maybe, someone will move it over to a sticky. If they do, maybe they could add a link to the FICM test procedure:thumbup:

Mdub707

Reaction score
As usual, that is a great write up... Maybe, someone will move it over to a sticky. If they do, maybe they could add a link to the FICM test procedure:thumbup:

I could write that up too, but figured it was SO widely available now that it wasn't needed.

Go to youtube, type in "6.0 powerstroke FICM test procedure" and a dozen vids pop up.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ahhh F it... here it is:

This was borrowed from Swamps via PSN. I did not write these, just merely reposting the info for you guys to follow...

6.0’s, FICM’s and cold-start issues.

If your 6.0 will not start cold, the issue may be either the glow plugs or glow plug controller, or it can be the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). If after a long cranking with no start you get a lot of white smoke (raw unburnt fuel) out the exhaust, the problem is in the glow plug system. If you do not get any smoke, the problem is probably in the FICM.

The 6.0 injector has two solenoids on it; one turns the injector on (open) and the other turns it off (close). A few years ago, Ford came out with a new program referred to as inductive heating for the FICM, intended to combat issues with missing and rough-running during cold startup due to sticking spool valves in the injectors. This program works by running “extra” current through the close coil to generate heat and warm up the spool. On paper it was an excellent idea, and I advised a lot of potential injector customers to have their FICM’s reflashed rather than buy a set of injectors.

Based on my testing, it appears that the early models of FICM’s only used the inductive heating when the EOT was less than 48*F or so. The “first” updated heating strategy turned it on any time the EOT was less than 184*F, meaning every time you started the truck if it was shut off for more than 10 minutes! Ford’s newest update to the heating strategy has it coming on below 148*F; better, but that’s still a lot of current draw.

Unfortunately, there have been some very serious consequences.

Although the FICM on the 6.0 is way more “intelligent” than the IDM on a 7.3, its basic job is to convert 12VDC to 48VDC and deliver this to the injectors at the proper time. Under normal operating conditions, the FICM typically draws 6-7 amps at 12V into the FICM power supply, which is well within its design limits. However, with the inductive heating active this current draw increases to 24-32 amps—it pegs the 30 amp meter on my test bench! Although the FICM power supply is capable of sustaining this load for short periods of time (1-2 minutes) it eventually gets very hot.

If this was all that happened, things wouldn’t be too bad, but there are several components on the printed circuit board that were not properly soldered during the manufacturing process, and as the PCB heats up and expands, the solder under these components cracks and they lose their electrical connection. The FICM’s 48 volt power supply is actually four separate or independent units; if one of the four goes down, the other three can supply enough current to run the truck, even with the inductive heating active. If two of the four go out, the truck will start and run normally as long as it is warm out, i.e. as long as the inductive heating does not turn on. If three of the four go out, the truck will probably not start or run unless it is at full operating temperature, and even then it may not start. If the injector voltage is over 35 volts, they run OK, although not as well as when it is 48 volts. If the voltage drops below around 24 volts, the injectors cannot fire. While most scan tools will display the FICM voltage, they do not always show the correct value. For instance, AutoEngenuity can only display voltages between 40 to 56 volts, so if the voltage is 35, it will display 40.

How to check your FICM for proper voltage output.
(Perform this check when the engine is completely cold.)

1. Remove the two bolts that hold the coolant reservoir to the cowl and push the reservoir out of the way forward and to your right. You do not need to disconnect any of the hoses.
2. On top of the FICM is a small cover held on by two #20 Torx screws; remove these two screws and pry the cover off.
3. On 2003 and early 2004 trucks, you will see 7 screw heads under the cover. On 2004 and later trucks you will see 4 screws.

4 screw FICM

4. Take a multi-meter set on DC volts and connect the ground lead to battery negative, and with the key ON measure the voltage at the screw on your right—closest to the driver’s side fender. Do not let the probe short against the case! The voltage should be right at 48 volts. Anything between 47 and 49 is good.
5. Have an assistant cycle the key and measure the voltage during the initial key-on buzz test. Voltage should not drop below 46 volts.
6. Next measure the voltage while cranking the engine. If voltage stays at or above 45-46 volts, the FICM is fine. Abnormally low battery voltage can give a false low FICM voltage reading, so make sure your batteries are good.

The procedure is the same for FICM’s with 7 screws, except that you will be checking voltage at a different screw, as shown in this picture.

*EDIT*

It's not very clear here, which screw you need to test on the 7 pin units, so I'm adding this in. When you remove the cover, you will see 2 rows of screws. The lower row has 3 screws, the upper row has 4 screws. You want to test at the screw in the row of 4 that is closest to the passenger side fender. Opposite of the 4 pin. I hope this clears this up.

7 screw FICM

If the voltage is above 46 volts in all the tests, your FICM is in excellent condition. If it is between 36 and 45 volts its OK, but not great. If it is between 25 and 35 volts, you have serious FICM problems.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Looks like the links to the pictures they had for the 4 pin and 7 pin are busted, I'll see if I can dig mine up.

Ok, added some mark ups to make this stupid easy for you.

4 Pin FICM:

657e0f6a-ccdb-4eb9-915b-2bc1cc138394_zpsf99ea4da.jpg

7 pin FICM:

7pin_zps72742afe.jpg

Again, thanks to SWAMPS as most of this was copied from them. I added the part about testing the 7 pins as it wasn't clear. Hope that's cool...

Last edited:

Derkperk

Reaction score
Also, maybe this would make more sense in 6.0 tech and not aftermarket, didn't really think about that before posting...

This thread is a fail for that reason!

Obviously, great write up and should save many the trouble of asking.

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
You know I was just talking to Josh about this last night. When I first installed my 175/stock injectors, I had a really bad miss when the temp was below 30*. So many people thought I was crazy. Swore it couldn't be. This is what the truck sounded like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIwQlOd0MI0

Took it to the dealer and had a power balance done on it. This was the result of what you heard in the video:

image_zps1f0ff678.jpg

So I had a FICM overnighted thinking that was the issue. Nope. Finally emailed the video and the graph to Matt. He pulled fuel from my tunes at idle and haven't had that happen again. Myself and a couple others think it may have had something to do with plugged spill ports in the injectors.

Now, my truck use to idle slightly rough when it was cold and all stock but nowhere near anything like this. I figured this was a good place to chime in about that although it may not help anyone and may not even make sense to some.

Last edited:

snik

Reaction score
Great revival.

I'm in TX. I'm new to these trucks.
Since the mornings have gotten cooler, truck starts the same.
But the way it drives and shifts while cold is horrible.

Starts fine. Idles fine.

It's rough while driving, lots of excess vibration. You feel the extra shake in the steering wheel and throughout he cab.
Once the oil and coolant temp goes up (as shown by the edge CS) and dash needles. It all smooths out.
Anything below 160 degrees EOT/ECT it's horrible.

Is this normal?
We are talking like 50s and 60s ambient temp outside in the mornings.

Also, can I trust the edge CS voltage readings as accurate?

snik

Reaction score
Or try some archoil 9100 oil additive. It works wonders on injectors with stiction. If that doesn't work. You'll need injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I will give that a go 1st. While I get ready to drop the $ on a set.

Just from a quick search, in seeing remanufactured ones. Are those legit, or do folks always go new.

sootie

Reaction score
i always do motorcraft. Get them from sunrise ford in the vendor section

webb06

Reaction score
Yeah. I will give that a go 1st. While I get ready to drop the $ on a set.

Just from a quick search, in seeing remanufactured ones. Are those legit, or do folks always go new.

Even motorcraft injectors are reman. No one to my knowledge makes "new"

snik

Reaction score
Or try some archoil 9100 oil additive. It works wonders on injectors with stiction. If that doesn't work. You'll need injectors.

Quick question.
Do you change the oil and add the 9100 to the fresh oil.
Or add it to the old oil. Drive then change it to fresh lube?

He latter doesn't quite seem like an effective way to do it.

patricku47

Reaction score
Quick question.
Do you change the oil and add the 9100 to the fresh oil.
Or add it to the old oil. Drive then change it to fresh lube?

He latter doesn't quite seem like an effective way to do it.

I change the oil and add the 9100 to the fresh oil. It definitely made a noticeable difference on my 6.0l.

Latest posts

Members online