Custom HPOP lines

V-Ref

Reaction score
Looking for feedback from folks that have had Custom HPOP hoses/lines made.

Now the truck is down for the HG, I'm gonna try and clean up the valley some....and the way I've got factory lines routed, I'm not happy with it.

The convience of using factory lines...well the dealerships in Anchorage/Valley had to order the lines when I went to four factory lines a while back....so I think I can probably get a custom line made/repaired faster than getting one ordered from a dealer.

So they're ORB fittings in the head....#6 if I remember right. And the pump four outlet ports...I think they're an ORB as well....If I wanted to dump STC type connections all together....

What connection can withstand HPOP pressures? What hose would you use?

http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/product/hydraulic-hose/

Thank you in advance.

ford_trck

Reaction score
Hydraulic hose and switch them to JIC fittings. I did it on one of mine that blew and haven't had any issues since.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would do some research on the materials used for the HPOP crossover kits from back in the day. I seem to recall some types of hoses held up and some did not.

golfer

Reaction score
off the top of my head, you'll want a line that is rated for 4000psi working, 12,000psi burst (typical), and is also rated for high pressure pulsation.

mandkole

Reaction score
I believe this was some sort of 2 wire, teflon tubed, hose from Aeroquip or Parker. yes, I'd go back to JIC ends also and get rid of any STC parts.

Reaction score
off the top of my head, you'll want a line that is rated for 4000psi working, 12,000psi burst (typical), and is also rated for high pressure pulsation.

I have a lot of hydraulic experience. Don't take this lightly. It is doable, but the range of specs is pretty narrow, because there are a couple of other specs such as temperature and bend radius. It needs to be right, close isn't good enough. Stainless braded hoses are great, but very vulnerable to the slightest damage to the outer wire braid. I have seen a rubber covered hose on Caterpillar 3126 (with HEUI) I had the specs to it but not anymore. I tried to make one at hyd shop rather than buy from Cat but they had to special order the hose. I like to put clear heat shrink over the stainless hoses in any vulnerable spots. Don't forget hoses act as harmonic dampeners for the system. With 8 hyd cylinders stroking and the pump pumping all at varying loads and speeds and pressures there is room for harmonics to develop. I have no evidence it does or doesn't just past experience on other systems. So hard lines could be bad or good.....
Just remember a failure could end up with a burned down truck!
I once had a pinhole leak in a hydraulic hose blow on the turbo of a 3208 and it created a fireball bigger than a can of hair spray and a lighter!!!!

V-Ref

Reaction score
Thank you to those that have contributed to this thread.

Vander...the stainless lines are all yours!

I was planning on hydraulic hose to/from 4 ports head/pump (2 most center ports on each head) and having a balance line between the two most forward ports with a "T" put in the center of the line for a relocated ICP sensor. The rear two HPO head ports just look like I'd be asking for trouble due to close proximity to up-pipes. The hairspray & lighter comment made for a visual I'd like to avoid.

How's this sound?

What would you folks do different?

m j

Reaction score

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Thank you to those that have contributed to this thread.

Vander...the stainless lines are all yours!

I was planning on hydraulic hose to/from 4 ports head/pump (2 most center ports on each head) and having a balance line between the two most forward ports with a "T" put in the center of the line for a relocated ICP sensor. The rear two HPO head ports just look like I'd be asking for trouble due to close proximity to up-pipes. The hairspray & lighter comment made for a visual I'd like to avoid.

How's this sound?

What would you folks do different?

Just curious, do you see/feel a difference with 4 lines?

Honest question, as I thought the 4 line kits were mostly hype, and it's two more lines to worry about.

golfer

Reaction score
we've never seen any difference in power, idle, smoothness..with anything more than the 2 factory lines.

my opinion is that it's just more potential failure (leak) points.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Good question. I asked the same thing before going from 2 to 4 lines.

I've always felt...that driving a HEUI....is like having your right foot on top of a sponge....as compared to a P7100 or CP"x" fueled truck...and it ran/drove/responded different everyday...and that this variance grew in proportion to the time/miles since the last oil change.

4 lines seem to have minimized this. You can definitely still tell when the truck needs new oil...and it's still different from day to day...just not as aggravated.

ICP builds a shade quicker from my observations using the Torque app on a Droid. Not necessarily the time to peak ICP...but the jump from off throttle to part throttle Commanded ICP is definitely quicker now. That's probably the part I enjoy the most.

Hope I made sense.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
we've never seen any difference in power, idle, smoothness..with anything more than the 2 factory lines.

my opinion is that it's just more potential failure (leak) points.

Kinda what I was thinkin...

You think there'd be any benefit to a crossover with the ICP sensor in the middle? I've always liked that idea.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Good question. I asked the same thing before going from 2 to 4 lines.

I've always felt...that driving a HEUI....is like having your right foot on top of a sponge....as compared to a P7100 or CP"x" fueled truck...and it ran/drove/responded different everyday...and that this variance grew in proportion to the time/miles since the last oil change.

4 lines seem to have minimized this. You can definitely still tell when the truck needs new oil...and it's still different from day to day...just not as aggravated.

ICP builds a shade quicker from my observations using the Torque app on a Droid. Not necessarily the time to peak ICP...but the jump from off throttle to part throttle Commanded ICP is definitely quicker now. That's probably the part I enjoy the most.

Hope I made sense.

I think I know what you're saying...

Derail alert... What are you running for oil?

I could always hear a difference with rotela after 1000 miles on it. In the OBS I'm running different oil, and I can't tell a difference by sound quite as easy.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I've ran it all. Mobil 1 synthetic is easy for me to get, and has ran the best imho. I look forward to trying Shaffers? Rev X? and all the other cool L48 stuff I can't seem to find up here next year.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Lol, gotcha.

Now, I did mix RevX with the rotela once. That made a pretty huge difference.

My OBS has Schaeffer 9000 in it right now. It won't get that again. No solid data, I just don't like the way it sounds/runs.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I will be getting the local hydraulic shop to make me lines for my ipr's. Just rubber lines like you would see on any piece of equipment. I plan on mounting it on top of the ac compressor. Never thought of doing hard lines tho.
401848_10201351029081743_333054171_n_zps3c7039a7.jpg

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
So what kind of issues are you guys having with the STC fittings?
They blowing off going down the road?
Now you have me wondering about the four feed lines I have going into my heads with them on...