Installed New Lift Pump, not water seperator. (pics)

Boyce604

Reaction score
Ok, well after help from you guys I figured the Lift pump on my moms 2008 F350 KR was out.

So after searching I found you can buy just the Pump for $175.

I've never worked on a diesel so I was nervous. Specially reading how some can't get it primed after new filters.

The truck had half a tank of gas so parked the front end up on railroad ties with 2x4's in top the bring front of tank up to minimize spilling diesel out.

Well I popped hood and took fuel filter cap off. Crawled under north and opened water seperator valve and drained into clear bottle. While draining I unbolted the water seperator from the frame and unbolted the front driveshaft.

About half a quart drained out and looked kind of nasty. Hope nothing made it to HPFP.

Almost looked like sand. I tried putting a magnent to it but nothing followed so don't think it was metal shavings.

I got the water seperator off and was it nasty.

IMAG0268.jpg

After that I took decreased and cleaned housing off real good to minimize dirt getting in it. Unscrewed filter and took the bolts out of old pump.

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

After I cleaned the inside really good. Didn't see a lot in there though. I oiled the ring on the new pump and slid it back in with the plug facing same way as old one.

IMAG0273.jpg

The old pump is on right new one on the left.

After I put the new filter in and tightened down cap. Slid under truck and bolted water seperator on rail then plugged in sensors and fuel lines. After bolted drive shaft back up.

I then put new o ring and filter in top cup and tighten down it as well.

Opened fuel cap and primed truck 10-12 times each for 30 secs each. I didn't hear air bubbles in tank after 5th but wanted to make sure.

Tighten fuel cap back down abd cranked truck over and started right up.

Let it run for bout 30 mins and took for a drive.

All seems well and hope that was it. Old pump sounded horrid and had to tap on it to get it to pump. So truck sat till I ordered parts.

Got pump online for $175 + $20 shipping. Ordered on Sunday and was here by wendsday.

Got it from: http://www.desmoparts.com/products/...fer-pump-ford-powerstroke-64l-diesel-08-10-f-

Then got Wix Fuel Filters from Oriellys for $65. They didn't have motorcraft.

Only had Microguard, Fran, and Wix filters. Others were $40. But not a fan of those brands sowent with Wix.

So for about $260 I fixed the lift pump and 2 hrs of my time. Longest was draining and priming it really.

Last edited:

Stroked777

Reaction score
Good write up. I and many others on here didn't know you could just replace the pump. Good info to know and it will save a bunch of money to just swap the pump and not the whole assembly

Boyce604

Reaction score
Yea wasn't that hard being my first time doin it. Could probably done it a lil quicker but just wanted to make sure I was doin everything right. Hardest part was just unbolting front driveshaft on 4x4 to get water seperator out. But yea saved money buying just pump. I know on sunrise ford you can get the whole seperator for round $350. But I got pump and filters for under $300. Took me bout 2 hrs to swap it all.

bpb424

Reaction score
I have a 7" lift on my truck and I recently removed my hfcm as well. With my truck being lifted I didn't have to unbolt my driveshaft. So for future reference you could prob jack up the front end a little and let the axle hang down for more room to get it out.

Latest posts

Members online