P228F

Chris1976

Reaction score
Done a quick search and not much found but a list of codes, and this code is the only one in red. I was going to post this under that thread but could not??

My truck stalled while pulling out and when I restarted it the check engine light came on. So I did a diagnosis and this code came up P228F Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Anyone else had this issue?
What did it turn out to be?
Anything at all about it?

TIA

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
to me its sounds like a P0088 HPFP death code on the 6.4 but how knows.

I got this from another site

"Do as H&S Support has suggested and put the stock air box back on. If that does not help, please have a dealer look at your fuel system. The P228F diagnostic is thrown when your fuel regulator valve has exceeded its learning limits. This valve controls total fuel flow into your high pressure fuel pump. Depending on how much fuel this valve lets into the pump, is how much pressure your truck will have. This valve is allowed to "learn" itself when parameters become slightly out of range. Your truck has become too far out of range from the desired valve duty cycle, and thus has triggered this diagnostic code. This could be caused by a bad valve, bad fuel, stuck fuel relief valve, etc.

Good luck with it!"

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Done a quick search and not much found but a list of codes, and this code is the only one in red. I was going to post this under that thread but could not??

My truck stalled while pulling out and when I restarted it the check engine light came on. So I did a diagnosis and this code came up P228F Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Anyone else had this issue?
What did it turn out to be?
Anything at all about it?

TIA

Here's how this fixed it

"Trucks fixed. Fuel Regulator Valve. After 3 hours at dealer last thursday we found out it was the regulator, looked fine at idle and fuel throttle, didn't know the difference until we looked at a stock 6.7 and side by side matched numbers. One removal of valve, it appears I have had some water in my fuel, cause end of valve was rusty. Photos to follow, by the end of this week. Just wanted to give an update".

Chris1976

Reaction score
Thanks Powerstroke Man 6.4 I also just seen that on the org. Later on in that thread he said it had a fuel leak and cracked injector. So it must not have been the fuel regulator valve.

I should have give a little back ground, it is tuned (H&S), deleted, and CAI.

Cleared the code and drove it home (40 miles) and it has not come back on yet. I did come to a stop and pull out and it stalled again. Restarted and made it home.

???

Chris1976

Reaction score
Starving for fuel.
478f03f9c93c887b853717ef28787f2f.jpg

About 3000 on filters at the time. It made it to the other filter as well. Needless to say I changed gas stations.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
That's a sign of algae growing in the fuel tank at the station. For whatever reason and I haven't cared to track it down this is plaguing ALOT of stations this winter... not sure why. But it certainly is. I just got off the phone with my dad with one of his Petes on the hook with the exact same thing in stillwater, ok. Multiple trucks too. I saw this algae problem about 7-8 years ago. Alot of refinery started adding a supplement however you ccan opt out of it and do your own treatment.

Unfortunately when the treatment comes out it cause the fuel and algae to mix and plug up filters like crazy at the pumps.... and alot of pumps get bypassed unless they are a chain station. Not a privately owned station.

With that being said be proactive and treat your fuel in your tank for the next few thousand miles to make sure it says clean. And don't let the truck sit empty with treatment. Make sure you on a full tank.

I know it's not possible for all to do but I always strongly urge folks to fill at a high volume station or truck stop and that's not always a guarantee because algae can grow even with diesel moving. But it loves a still environment.

Last edited: