Alradco intercooler review

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Well I finally got some time to swap in a test alradco intercooler and let me tell you this thing is huge and the core is over 3 inches thick, it dwarfs the old intercooler
BA91D931-2B36-47CD-B4A6-DBD2FB2A9D97_zpslia2ef37.jpg

As always the quality of this is amazing especially the welds. This intercooler is so big that I had to use 1/2 spacers to space the trans cooler forward so that it would fit with out rubbing anything and also slightly trimmed the header panel. Peter will include the spacers with the intercooler.

In the red you can see where I put the spacer
41F61BB3-69FD-432E-93F4-A12B4D8B812B_zps72pus8pa.jpg

And here is the small piece you have to trim off the header panel
8c89fc11-b38a-4443-b2bf-1e93fc87993d_zps1e0f99d8.jpg

So now to the good stuff results! I did another back to back test towing and the only thing I changed was the intercooler. I had a 20ft car hauler with my 7.3 excursion on it, truck and trailer weighed in at 11,000 so a gross of 19,000. The grade I pull is a little over a mile and a half long. Both times I maintained 65 over the pull. My first time going up the hill with the stock intercooler and my normal street tune I pulled 30 psi at 1,250 egt for the entire pull. Went right back to the shop swapped the intercoolers out and that was it didn't change tunes or anything just an intercooler and with in an hour went and pulled the same grade and pulled it at 65 but this time I was holding boost at 28 psi and EGT's at 1,100. So by just swapping an intercooler I lost 150 degrees and lost 2 psi over all but I attribute that to the better flowing core that is able to flow way more CFM then my stocker. Overall I am extremely happy with my alradco intercooler and no more worry of having a leak or popping off the stock plastic crimped on end tanks under high boost. One thing some one asked me was if I felt a lag now with the larger core and having more area to fill up, I noticed no change from how it felt with the stock intercooler to the alradco. Also if I am not mistaken I think the pre sale ends today on the intercooler so if your interested that might be something you want to take a look at ;) http://www.alradco.com/2003-2007-ford-6-0-powerstroke-intercooler-deposit-only/

JK Fab

Reaction score
Alradco is sure in the IC game with the quallity products they are turning out !!! Great write up Nick !

Jeff

alradco

Reaction score
Glad it's working well for you Nick. Thanks for your input and help. How much power does your Excursion make? A long grade with 19,000lbs gross at 65mph is no joke!

We are running a special pre-sale that is supposed to end tonight for $785.
Made in the USA. Here's a few pics.

Peter

2jdomev.jpg

30t5ru1.jpg

2cxszlg.jpg

BlAcKeNeD

Reaction score
Will there be an aluminum radiator for the 6.0 offered? I am in need and would rather purchase a product made in USA from a vendor.