Single turbo info

Cknox121

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk of people wanting to go to a single but not enough data and info on egt's, kits, spool, etc. Hoping this thread will help answer some questions about going to a single.

First off, installing was rather simple, just time consuming. If you have means and time to pull the cab, do so. Makes the up pipe bolts easier. Easily could do it in the drive way with simple hand tools, beer, and a variety of cuss words.

Here's some info:

Elevation: 150-200ft

Truck: 6.4 ccsb king ranch, 4wd, 35s, 3.73, 4in exhaust, upgraded cold side piping, egr delete, afe intake, running canned h&s tunes.

Turbo: Borg Warner billet s366 .91 ar exhaust housing

Pros: power, sound, simpler, cleaner IMO, easy to work on other aspects of engine.

Cons: smokey on canned tuned, and that's about it.

I have not towed anything yet, but have put about 300 miles on it since single install. So far I love it. Very different then compounds, but I think it's a worthy swap.

I'm trying to upload videos, YouTube or me is being hard headed, but will post more as they are loaded.

Feel free to ask questions, ask for specific data, etc.

I also just received my gearhead tuning, but have not drove it since I installed it, so I will update accordingly.

Hear are some videos.

Idle

http://youtu.be/U1PxB0Jg66M

50% throttle, I think gauges are boost, egt's, bp, and throttle percent

http://youtu.be/AqSH5JioJDY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
If you ever come to easten NC, come take me for a ride in this thing. I really do miss my 6.0's sound but don't want to put a single on and it be too laggy.

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a Powerstroke, with a TDI on the side!

6.4strokin

Reaction score
Another con is egts are higher vs compounds

Cknox121

Reaction score
Do you think it's laggy?

It's laggier then the stock compounds. Not as bad as I thought it would be though. Does take some getting used too.

I'll put it this way, at first I was like wtf...then the turbo lit... And I was like holy fak.

Cknox121

Reaction score
It'll drive quite differently. Much more enjoyable.

Good deal. I will take a few more videos tonight, some cruising, and some town driving.

Mainly just letting everyone know what to kinda expect if they do decide to go the single route.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Taking a road trip of about 100 miles tonight.

Trying out gear head tuning, and wow! It made a huge difference in drivability. Smoke is way down, power seems up from canned tunes, trans also seems a lot happier.

Averaging about 17.3mpg running 80 mph.

Deltas, egt's, etc seem to be about the same. Might possibly run a little cooler. I still hit 1000 egt's going up hills.

So far I'm happy as hell!

Cknox121

Reaction score
I'm guessing your seeing 700-750 cruising at 70 on flat road? That's what I saw on my old 66. Your mpg's are very impressive too

Yeah pretty close to that. Drops to 450 down hill, 650-800 flat, 850-1050 up hills.

Well that's by the lie o meter

Cknox121

Reaction score
Here's another video, boot blew off right at the end.

As you can tell, turbo pulls hard after about it builds 8-10psi, max egt was 1345 on that run.

Running gearhead set in street.

Trans also kinda freaked out a little bit as well....
http://youtu.be/EhTD-lCDiE4

Cknox121

Reaction score
Also switched trans tune to hybrid after that run. The converter locking really killed it if you ask me.

Smoke is way down as well:)