Another electric fuel system wiring question.

blaze42069

Reaction score
Im in the middle of my diy efuel install and I have everything figured out except for the sending unit part and tank selector switch. I'm eliminating the front tank and installing a 38gal. rear tank with a sump and using a fuelab pump.
I want to throw that freakin sending unit in the trash, but I need to keep the fuel gauge working. How can this be accomplished, or am I stuck with using the selector unit to operate the fuel gauge properly?
Also is there a way to eliminate the tank selector switch in the dash so I can put a driving light switch in the place of the tank switch.
I've tried to search for my answer but what I'm finding is people are keeping their selector valves in order to operate the sending unit properly.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks alot in advance.

Honeydew_OBS

Reaction score
Leave the selector valve on the frame rail plugged in to keep the gauge working, then just zip tie it up. That's what I did when I got rid of my front tank when I shortened my frame.

m j

Reaction score
5 wires on the selector:
1 front tank sending unit
1 rear tank sending unit
1 wire to fuel gauge
1 power from selector switch
1 ground

connect the wire from rear tank sending unit to fuel gauge wire

blaze42069

Reaction score
5 wires on the selector:
1 front tank sending unit
1 rear tank sending unit
1 wire to fuel gauge
1 power from selector switch
1 ground

connect the wire from rear tank sending unit to fuel gauge wire

Sounds simple enough. Thanks alot.

blaze42069

Reaction score
So all done, I spliced all wires at the selector valve harness. I used a yellow with blue stripe wire from the rear tank and connected it to a yellow with white stripe that is to the fuel gauge. Threw the selector valve as far as I could, disconnected the fuel tank switch and good to go.
For you guys keeping your front tanks and eliminating the rear you will use a blue with yellow stripe wire, connect it to the yellow wire with white stripe and your good to go. Should be the same wires on all dual tank trucks with the 7.3's.
Props to mj for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:

blaze42069

Reaction score
So what did you put in the place of the fuel switch. Gasser block off plate or a nice switch for something else?

Well after playing around with the selector switch I might use it as a switch to power a relay for my driving lights. I had the kids take a pencil eraser and rub off the fuel label, then remove the front and rear labels too. So now its a black switch ready for anything.
But if I don't use that switch, a nice lighted rocker switched will look good there too.

blaze42069

Reaction score
Don't some of the f-150s have an actual fog light switch for that spot? Make it look even more factory

Really? I never knew that. Thats a hell of an idea. Thanks for the info buddy, I'm gonna try to find one of those.

On edit: I tried LMC and Rockauto but foundation nothing. If you got a part # I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
well it just shows that it goes in the wrong spot, so not great news. maybe the owners manual will show something we can find

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.