Building a new cold air intake, do I need to keep the MAF?

ford rules

Reaction score
Truck is a 2006 so it has the maf sensor on the intake. I'm going to build a stainless intake and am wondering if I need to keep the maf sensor? Any input is appreciated!!

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
From my past reading.... YES!

There was a guy on here a few months ago that put a 6.0 into a Fast Back Stang, he was running with no MAF sensor and supposedly that was throwing codes and causing de-fueling issues.

I would try unplugging it and seeing what happens, then go from there.

ford rules

Reaction score
I'm gonna try and unplug it this weekend.
I remember reading mpd had said you don't need it.
The 05 trucks didn't have a maf as far as I know so I don't see why it's needed if they didn't have em in 05.

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Iirc if you have an egr delete the pcm doesn't look at the maf values but you do need to keep it plugged in. Doesn't have to be in Intake though, just plugged in

strokin6L

Reaction score
If the truck came with a MAF sensor then its gonna need it. It'll run like crap even if its still plugged in and not in the intake tube.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I know you are running a non vgt turbo so I don't think it matters as much... but here is some food for thought for the vgt guys

Take this for what it is worth because it was not a personal experience... "hearsay"... Can't know exactly what was going on because it was not being data logged... but this is what we think happened to someone I know. On a really hard WOT run he got a little bit of water/coolant under the motor and got the maf wet... it confused the vgt vanes and slammed them shut sending back pressure through the roof. Truck fell right on its face and immediately blew the head gaskets... BAD!!! Turbo was fine

So... I don't claim to know exactly what the MAF sensors function is but I have always understood that the vgt solenoid is controlled by MAP, MAF, and EBP sensors (depending on inferred vs non inferred). I would imagine a non-vgt turbo would not need the maf sensor... but I would be afraid of the affects of running a MAF sensor just dangling under the hood if it in fact does control the vgt vanes. At least cover it and keep it protected.

user591585_pic152467_1395435021_zps779ab3a3.png

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
On compounded trucks I just leave them plugged In And hanging. But it's going to be right there and the flange is $50 why not put it in there? That's my thoughts

ford rules

Reaction score
I don't mind keeping it but idk where or what type of flange I need.
Matt I just browsed your vendor section and saw a few intakes you've built, where did you buy those flanges from?

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I don't mind keeping it but idk where or what type of flange I need.
Matt I just browsed your vendor section and saw a few intakes you've built, where did you buy those flanges from?

As good of a fabricator as you are, why not just make a simple mount for it like I did? Of course you're will kick mines ass in looks!

You can sort of see mine in my avatar, its the short section of 4" aluminum between the filter and the 3"-4" silicone reducer. If you want a better photo, shoot me a PM/txt

ford rules

Reaction score
I guess I'd have to see how the the factory mount looks I have a afe intake with a plastic mount and the maf is part of the intake I believe.

strokin6L

Reaction score
This is the one you'll need. Should be able to find them on eBay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-13-19-09-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-13-19-09-55.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 72

stroke6.0

Reaction score
I run a stock intake on my truck still and I left my maf unplugged. I used to work at mpd and Craig always said that they aren't needed in tuned trucks. I never requested special tunes for mine and never threw a code. I did plug it in and never had any difference in drivability or performance

strokin6L

Reaction score
I unplugged mine once and it threw codes. I also left it hanging but still plugged in with the No Limit intake tube and the truck lost tons of power and ran like crap. Threw the afe intake back on and reinstalled the MAF sensor in the intake tube and the truck came back to life.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.