need help from you 6.4 people

ghohouston

Reaction score
ive got a bone stock 09 6.4 on the crew of my company i mechanic for. i only have my cheaper scanner with me, that for whatever reason doesnt read fuel rail pressure. anyhow, truck will randomly die, has SUPER extended cranking time, ONLY when at operating temp, and sometimes wont start period, only when at operating temp. starter is healthy, only about 2k miles into a service i did, which included both fuel filters, oil and air. no metal noticed in the filters. truck did at one time have iirc a p2291 code, which showed low icp while cranking, which this being a 6.4, i figured the code correlated to fuel rail pressure. it also had an egr code, but i dont remember the exact code at the moment. anyhow, while i was searching for rail pressure on my scanner, i noticed the sucker had over a 50 degree difference between oil and coolant temps. took it to a podunk ford dealer since its still under warranty (75k miles), told them about the delta difference, truck was there over a week, and all the dude did was pull the cab to replace the oil cooler. i told him all symptoms, and he said he found nothing, and couldnt get the codes to come back after i cleared them. i am beyond knowledgable on 7.3's and 6.0's, but never really got into 6.4's. looking for advice, because im 5 hours away from my scanner that can read rail pressure, hours away from a known reputable dealer, and 5 hours from our company's ford shop. im thinking the hpfp may be going bad, but i havent gotten a po87 or 88 code. Could it be the frp sensor?

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
forgot to mention, truck has all the power a stock 6.4 should have

Just throwing this out there are the batteries good? Maybe its sucking in air while starting causing the long starts are the fuel filter caps tight engine and HFCM no cracks etc? Did you folks check fuel pressure? Somebody more experienced will chime in.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
batteries are good, im no newb to diesels, i know a healthy set of batteries is important. i did the service, so yes, all filter caps are good and tight, o rings were lubed, etc. ill probably get around to checking fuel pressure (low pressure that is) tomorrow. there are no leaks to speak of, and like i said, its only when hot it has problems. cranks over and starts perfect first start of the day.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
ive got a bone stock 09 6.4 on the crew of my company i mechanic for. i only have my cheaper scanner with me, that for whatever reason doesnt read fuel rail pressure. anyhow, truck will randomly die, has SUPER extended cranking time, ONLY when at operating temp, and sometimes wont start period, only when at operating temp. starter is healthy, only about 2k miles into a service i did, which included both fuel filters, oil and air. no metal noticed in the filters. truck did at one time have iirc a p2291 code, which showed low icp while cranking, which this being a 6.4, i figured the code correlated to fuel rail pressure. it also had an egr code, but i dont remember the exact code at the moment. anyhow, while i was searching for rail pressure on my scanner, i noticed the sucker had over a 50 degree difference between oil and coolant temps. took it to a podunk ford dealer since its still under warranty (75k miles), told them about the delta difference, truck was there over a week, and all the dude did was pull the cab to replace the oil cooler. i told him all symptoms, and he said he found nothing, and couldnt get the codes to come back after i cleared them. i am beyond knowledgable on 7.3's and 6.0's, but never really got into 6.4's. looking for advice, because im 5 hours away from my scanner that can read rail pressure, hours away from a known reputable dealer, and 5 hours from our company's ford shop. im thinking the hpfp may be going bad, but i havent gotten a po87 or 88 code. Could it be the frp sensor?

What do you mean "you people"LOL

B585Ford

Reaction score
Have you checked the wires running to HPFP to make sure they aren't chaffed? That's common on the older 6.4s. Have you monitored the fuel temp when it is warmed up? Maybe that sensor is off. Ever tried pulling the gas cap off when it is having trouble starting? Have u ever checked the pressure on the LP side...shrader valve on the fuel cooler.

ghohouston

Reaction score
It's in a real ford dealers hands now. ruck was still under warranty, only a few days left, but the company wanted to take advantage of it lol

ghohouston

Reaction score
well, ford put 8 injectors in it. something about them being worn and letting air into the fuel. idk, and now im sure the hpfp will fail since its out of warranty now lol. it runs good without an issue now though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.