Time for a new rig..... 2014 or 2015

farnsie

Reaction score
so its time for a new truck and i'm trying to decide between the 2014 or the 2015. Now that the 2015 has been out for a bit whats everyone's experience with it are the new upgrades that much better? I plan on deleting it once warranty is up. What does everyone think??

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
I had a '11 6.7 and so far my 15 is better almost everywhere.

Mileage could come up some on the '15. It seems to want to stay in the 15-16 range. I have seen 18 for a couple trips and half a tank of fuel or so.

I also really like the exhaust brake.

bigaF250

Reaction score
I was just test driving them yesterday. Drove a 14 and a 15. We also own an 11. I think the 15 is the same truck but the turbo difference is definitely better in the 15 and the exhaust brake is a nice feature in them. At this elevation it is an improvement in the pulling side of things for sure. Really depends on what your plans are for the truck though. My opinion I would go with a 15

Farmall

Reaction score
I just got a '14 Platinum for 17k off the sticker. I'd say 14 unless your heart is really set on a 15 and money is no object. I wouldn't have been able to justify the cost difference, especially with there being no styling difference.

truckmaniac

Reaction score
I just got a '14 Platinum for 17k off the sticker. I'd say 14 unless your heart is really set on a 15 and money is no object. I wouldn't have been able to justify the cost difference, especially with there being no styling difference.

First off, I call BS on the $17K discount on a 2014 Platinum, unless it had a lot of dealer installed accessories or services (lift kit, wheels, nitrogen, "lifetime engine warranty", clear coat protection, undercoating, etc.).

Farnsie, don't expect that kind of a discount on a "stock" truck.

The styling may not have changed, but there are significant improvements in the drivetrain. Check out this article:

http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/2015-powerstroke.html

Every know issue with the 2011-2014 Powerstroke has been addressed in the 2015 changes. The turbo has been a weak point since 2011. This is easily remedied by purchasing an aftermarket kit that utilizes the same turbo as the 2015. The kit and installation will run you $4,500.00 or more.

I bought a 2015 King Ranch last week (2014 never came into play on my deal). Yesterday, I helped my brother-in-law purchase one as well. After working-over a 1/2 dozen different dealers, he bought a 2015
for $3,800.00 more that a comparably equipped 2014. Both of our trucks have the new and vastly improved King Ranch leather interior. Yea, That's a Styling Change!

So let's recap:

The cost difference between a 2014 and 2015 is about the same as a turbo upgrade, if you shop HARD.

The 2015 has many more engine improvements than just the turbo, not to mention 40 more HP and 60 more TQ.

The 2014 will take a more sizable depreciation "hit" once you drive it off the lot.

If you go with a King Ranch, you get much nicer leather.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Save the money get the rebates on the '14. The rest of the truck is the same. Better yet, test drive one. For the money you save you'll be able to upgrade it later on.

Meh, depends on what the OP is after. Stock form, or even tuned intake exhaust I'd have to say... '15 is probably still the best buy. If he plans to mod it heavy, I would have to agree that he could save $$$ and buy a late model truck.

One day you'll like yours lol

Jgon08

Reaction score
First off, I call BS on the $17K discount on a 2014 Platinum, unless it had a lot of dealer installed accessories or services (lift kit, wheels, nitrogen, "lifetime engine warranty", clear coat protection, undercoating, etc.).

Farnsie, don't expect that kind of a discount on a "stock" truck.

The styling may not have changed, but there are significant improvements in the drivetrain. Check out this article:

http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/2015-powerstroke.html

Every know issue with the 2011-2014 Powerstroke has been addressed in the 2015 changes. The turbo has been a weak point since 2011. This is easily remedied by purchasing an aftermarket kit that utilizes the same turbo as the 2015. The kit and installation will run you $4,500.00 or more.

I bought a 2015 King Ranch last week (2014 never came into play on my deal). Yesterday, I helped my brother-in-law purchase one as well. After working-over a 1/2 dozen different dealers, he bought a 2015
for $3,800.00 more that a comparably equipped 2014. Both of our trucks have the new and vastly improved King Ranch leather interior. Yea, That's a Styling Change!

So let's recap:

The cost difference between a 2014 and 2015 is about the same as a turbo upgrade, if you shop HARD.

The 2015 has many more engine improvements than just the turbo, not to mention 40 more HP and 60 more TQ.

The 2014 will take a more sizable depreciation "hit" once you drive it off the lot.

If you go with a King Ranch, you get much nicer leather.

Fill me in on the "many" engine improvements? Yes I no the turbo and fuel system a little.. Other than that what's the other changes?

Reaction score
I think he was being sarcastic. Because the '14 and '15 are basically identical save for a turbo setup and a button on the dash.

So he was asking about the quantifiable differences, which are those two. The rest is hearsay or so insignificant that it will never come into play. The only new option luxury wise is the different king ranch with mono tone color scheme.

If that's what you want, then by all means buy it. Other than that I don't believe there I enough to out way the $6k in rebates.

But then again that is just an opinion. But I have owned both, so it may be a little more informed opinion than some.

Jgon08

Reaction score
I think he was being sarcastic. Because the '14 and '15 are basically identical save for a turbo setup and a button on the dash.

So he was asking about the quantifiable differences, which are those two. The rest is hearsay or so insignificant that it will never come into play. The only new option luxury wise is the different king ranch with mono tone color scheme.

If that's what you want, then by all means buy it. Other than that I don't believe there I enough to out way the $6k in rebates.

But then again that is just an opinion. But I have owned both, so it may be a little more informed opinion than some.

Ya I thought he was but I was just making sure I didn't miss something. Because last I heard they we're basically the same other than a few little changes.

truckmaniac

Reaction score

So are you saying that the improvements listed in these two articles are just speculation, along with the information posted on the Ford Website?

http://www.internationalpowerstroke....werstroke.html

http://www.conceptcarz.com/z23103/Fo...uper-Duty.aspx

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/features/#page=FeatureCategory1

Where I live here in Texas the rebates for the 2014's are at $6K and the 2015's are at $2K, so your looking at $4K difference (if you find a dealer willing to work with you). For me, the improvements to the turbo alone are well worth the extra $4K, not to mention the eventual depreciation difference between the 2014 and 2015.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
The funny thing is all the claims for these supposed bottom end upgrades.

Funny.. I cross referenced every part with the ones in my 13 truck.. both long blocks apart side by side.. suprisingly most had the same part number.. including the rods. Inflated hype

Trevor008

Reaction score
Just like Jared said, not all the claims in those articles you posted are legit. There have been motors torn apart already from what I've read on this forum.

Trevor008

Reaction score
Oh, and I just bought my 14 a month ago for $14k under msrp a month after I had ordered a 15 for $7k under msrp. Had another dealership quote me $7k under for the 15 also.

That $7k difference will buy me a turbo kit and pay for part of the dual fueler kit too....

Latest posts

Members online