SPE '15 retro kit, install and review w/ pics

jcain

Reaction score
So after a little calling around and asking questions I felt to be important, I decided SPE was the best choice for me.

I'll start by saying that their customer support is TOP NOTCH. I had a couple questions along the way and they never once gave me grief for calling multiple times. Also, answering one question AFTER hours just proved to me even more that I had made the right choice, for me.

Install:
Drain radiator fluid!!!!
Remove air filter top half
Remove intake pipe
Remove upper intake
Remove the cast aluminum junction for the intake/egr/cac
Remove rest of cac and ccv piping

Here comes the fun part
Remove both exhaust upipes (my v-bands were siezed, heat and BEAT!)
Remove "upper" downpipe "cobra head". there is a 10mm bolt holding it to the transmission housing, dont miss it! (v-band was seized too)
Remove turbo (cut the coolant hose right in the middle, you get a new one)

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

jcain

Reaction score
Now it's time for the go-back, it's much easier, I promise.

Install the DRIVERS side up-pipe with v-band clamp, loosey goosey for now (they call it LH for some reason, don't forget your new gasket)
Clean pedestal and install gasket
Finaggle that big ole new turbo in there. I found it easiest to rotate it partially clockwise and it set right down in there. Yeah, my shoulder are sore too...
Connect the installed up-pipe vband loosely
Bolt the turbo down to spec.
Install the coolant line and oil line (prelube the o-rings)
Tighten down the installed up-pipe to spec
Install the new "upper" downpipe. attach the v-band semi snug. put a floor jack under the exhaust and have fun lining it all up.
Install passenger side up-pipe and tighten to spec
Install new cast aluminum intake/egr/cac junction. The rubber reducer to the turbo is a little long so I trimmed 1/8' of both ends.
Reattach CAC and CCV tubes
Plug the old wastegate vacuum hose
Reattach upper intake
Reattach air intake tube and top half.
Change oil and filter
Top off coolant per the manual.
Install new tune SPE provides, and have a cold brew

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

jcain

Reaction score
I'm still on my existing gearhead tune, but when it comes up it blows te tires off. I should have a custom tune for the bigger turbo today so I'll have a nice comparison

Reaction score
Nice write up man! So I didnt see it, but the exhaust manifolds stay the same correct? I thought I read somewhere a while ago that everything from the heads up needed changed to do this retrofit. Doesnt appear the exhaust manifolds need to be changed at least! Enjoying how it drives more now with this turbo?

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
A long pry bar and Chevy tool (BFH) are also helpful in removing the v bands. Mine weren't stuck too bad with only 21k miles.

Keith

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Nice write up man! So I didnt see it, but the exhaust manifolds stay the same correct? I thought I read somewhere a while ago that everything from the heads up needed changed to do this retrofit. Doesnt appear the exhaust manifolds need to be changed at least! Enjoying how it drives more now with this turbo?

1 is completely different

jcain

Reaction score

same manifolds. SPE makes custom uppipes and upper-downpipe to do their retro

jcain

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the former, but as for the latter, SPE uses both of the stock 11-14 manifolds.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I can speak for elites kit comes with complete new up pipes, down pipe, and passenger side manifold. Everything is Ford parts and fits exact. Runs real good too!!

Keith

jcain

Reaction score
It'll leave some toyo at 40mph if you aren't considerate. I'm overall very impressed with the improvements, from the power gains all over the board to the ~2mpg increase all around , and the Rick Flair wooo is gone!
Dan at SPE reworked the tune as well, since those videos, to get rid of the smoke at tip in and kickdown a gear quicker so as to not bog the motor and blow smoke on the freeway.

jcain

Reaction score
Oh, and now it's time for traction bars. The axle shook so bad during a slow rolling Semi-WOT that it seperated the exhaust mid-cab.

IMAG0163.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online